Central Arizona Loop

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Central Arizona Loop

Post by coolrogue1 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:47 pm

This trip takes a full day, you may want to divide it into two days. I started from a friends house in Scottsdale, AZ and finished in Apache Junction, AZ where I live. It's a long one day trip, so it can be divided into 2 parts by stopping in Cottonwood, AZ for the night. This one goes from the desert to approx 6000' elevation... Last time I did this loop we hit 36 degrees in Payson, AZ at which time I wished I had more cloths to put on... Jerome, AZ is classified as a ghost town even though there are about 250-300 permanent residents. It is built on the side of Cleopatra Hill at about 5200' elevation, it also lies over the largest hard rock copper mine in Arizona. Here's the link to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... 000003&z=8

Sam

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Central Arizona Loop

Post by dingdong » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:26 pm

That is quite a nice ride. Last time we rode through Jerome it was the last week in June. We had to ride in rain, hail, sleet and snow. Hailed so hard we had to stop and hide under a tree. We won't forget it though. I remember that there was almost no level parking places in Jerome. Made it difficult to stop.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Re: Central Arizona Loop

Post by coolrogue1 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:26 pm

Yeah, I've been there in the rain but not snow or hail...The twistys between Jerome and Prescott Valley are what make this ride great... And now the memorial to the fallen firefighters in Yarnell is finished and is worth visiting..

Sam
Sam