Anybody live in Central California....

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
cardinal
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

Anybody live in Central California....

Post by cardinal » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:35 am

It appears that the majority of members on here are East of the Missouri River.
I see an occasional member from points west of the Rocky's, but not many.
I live in Fresno, California, anybody close by?
Bob

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Re: Anybody live in Central California....

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:39 am

Depends on your definition of "close" - I'm up in San Jose...
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

cardinal

Post by cardinal » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:03 pm

That's "Almost" close. About 3 hours away. My friends and I, often ride 3 hours to lunch. Places like Moro Bay, Alice's Restaurant, Nelsons Camp (or is it Camp Nelson?), Monterey and Carmel Valley. We try to avoid the freeways and often don't have a café in mind, just a general area.
I believe I've seen someone from either Modesto or Merced on here, so it looks like there might be at least 3 of us.
Where do you like to ride to? I would imagine you go to Santa Cruz and Pescadero quite a bit. To bad about the store and deli in Pescadero burning down. I liked going there, but hated going through Santa Cruz. No matter what time or what day we go through there, it's a parking lot! We'll try using Soquel one of these days and see if that helps.
Thanks, for the reply and have a Happy New Year!

Alan_Hepburn

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:29 pm

When it's just the wife and I we usually end up in Monterey, on the Wharf for lunch. Then a stop at Gizdich Farms for some great pie for dessert on the way home. Sometimes we'll head east to Tracy and stop at Golden Corral for a meal, or Casa de Fruta - great burritos and sandwiches there! We belong to a local Southern Cruiser Riding Club chapter and when we ride with them we head pretty much every direction, depending on the whims of the leader. We head to Alice's a lot (I don't care for their menu - average, overpriced food!) and then down towards Monterey or Carmel, or north over the Bridge to the Bodega Bay area, or east to Casa de Fruta, or Hwy 25 past Pinnacles and then down through King City - tons of great riding around here!

cardinal

Post by cardinal » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:53 am

You're right about there being lots of good riding in the area. Next time you have lunch on the wharf in Monterey, go up Alvarado, it's directly in line with the wharf/pier, to Rosine's for world class cake. It will take 2 or more people to eat a piece....they're HUGE!

Alan_Hepburn

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:18 am

Thanks - we'll give it a try! Happy New Year!

Jlburnnn
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing 1993 GL 1500A

Post by Jlburnnn » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi Bob, I live in your area. I live in Selma and ride to Fresno all the time. I have a 1993 gl 1500 that I've been working on for the past 8 months. I was a member of GWRRA last year but have not payed this years due's. Thought I would wait until Spring when the season starts up. The wife and I ride to the coast and sometimes short rides in the foothills around here. I ride the bike all the time yesterday to Pine Flat Dam up to trimmer Springs and then Morgan canyon Rd. out to Watts Valley Rd. and back to Selma. Close to 100 miles round trip. I saw a post that you said there is no where to ride around us but I always find places to go and putt around in the foothills. The wife doesn't like the twisty roads but I just take my time. Anyway thought I would say Hi. Jerry

cardinal

Post by cardinal » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:48 am

Hi Jerry, I just responded to your post in "What's close to home".
Yes, there are lots of roads around here and I occasionally find a new one. Wednesday, we rode up to Jamestown and found Red Hill Road, in Chinese Camp, which took us to the La Grange Road. Red Hill is a neat little road! Mildly rough with two little bridges that had about 2 inches of water flowing over them. My camera battery went dead while we were in the Jamestown Railroad Museum, so I couldn't get pictures of Goldwings in a water crossing. Would have been great.

305@16
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl1000

Post by 305@16 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:30 am

Hi , my name's John
Lived in central Cali since early 90's
Know the area pretty well.

Just now getting back into motorcycle - ing. Pretty excited , Would enjoy communication regarding locations , sights, insight into Goldwings et all.

~J

cardinal

Post by cardinal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:03 pm

Hi John, Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Goldwings!
It sounds like you came to the Central Valley around the same time we did.
When I got back into motorcycles, about 10 ten years ago, I was told that if I rode a different local back road every weekend it would take over 50 years to ride them all. I've found that to be a pretty wild exaggeration, But if you stretch "local" out to include a radius of about 250 miles it might be a bit more accurate.
One of my riding friends and I rode Los Gatos Creek road Wednesday, it was beautiful. I don't know where in the valley you are, but the only drawback living here is the fact that, from Fresno, it takes about an hour to get anywhere that isn't flat and brown
Bob

305@16
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl1000

Post by 305@16 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:20 pm

Ok, a little confusion...
I moved to the central COAST (I am not yelling, )....."Monterey county" back in '93.
Left for a bit but back a little farther north, just renewing my bike affection.
I'm not far from Hollister now, it may be green now but I love the golden rolling hills of California.

cardinal

Post by cardinal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:30 pm

Central COAST. So you start out in the pretty and go to the flat brown. There's nothing pretty about the ride between Fresno and Coalinga from June till sometime in November. 25, 198 and Los Gatos Creek are really pretty right now.
Might be a year before we can ride the PCH (1) from Carmel to Morrow Bay.....another pretty ride.
Have you ever gone over Naciemento Ferguson Road from Fort Hunter Liggett? Coming down to the PCH offers some really great views of the Big Sur area.
Keep us posted on your adventures on your new ride!