What's more fun? Planning or Traveling?

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

What's more fun? Planning or Traveling?

Post by echinus1988 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:26 am

I don't know about anyone else but I find planning a trip to be at least as enjoyable as the actual traveling.

I have been looking for interesting day trips, weekend camping trips, and the trip my son and I are taking in May.

Our trip will take us into Texas to start, visit relatives for a couple days, then out to west Texas, New Mexico, and back to Colorado with some great camping and lots of aviation museums! Roughly 2500 miles. I'm riding my 1982 GL1100 Aspencade and my son will ride my 1980 GL1100 Goldwing. I'll be towing my new (used) 1998 Bunkhouse trailer.

So that's it in a nutshell.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: What's more fun? Planning or Traveling?

Post by harvey01 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:01 pm

I find planning a trip a great way to occupy me during the winter and it is fun. But taking the trip and seeing the sites, and taking the side trips I did not plan, all add up to a lot more fun than the planning. Plus when doing the travelling I am riding the motorcycle instead of thinking about it!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:20 pm

I like perusing maps, planning potential rides and such, especially in the winter when I can't ride.
But I like the actual riding more. Can't wait for spring.
But....
I think what I like the MOST is rides with no plan, no destination, and no time to be home by.
Leave EARLY in the morning. Ride the back roads, the country roads with no traffic.
Come to a corner, look left, look right. If the road to the right looks familiar, turn left.
Don't know where it goes, but who cares. Ride it and get lost.
I'm never really lost as long as there is gas in the tank and a few dollars in my pocket.

What's funny is, I have memories of riding some BEAUTIFUL roads that I could never
find again, because I don't know where I was or how I got there. :lol: :lol: :lol:
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Post by brettchallenger » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:16 am

I absolutely loved planning my summer holidays in Europe. On a cold, dark, winter's night we would repair to the pub, Michelin maps and camping guides in hand - this was well before the internet was even a twinkle in someone's eye. We would pour over ferry timetables and city guides, and practise our French/German/Spanish. And with a map of western Europe laid out on the table, weighed down with pints of ale, we would mark out our proposed routes, stopping places, camp sites etc. And perhaps to get us in the mood proper, light up a couple of Gauloise cigarettes. And at the weekend, a trip to the camping store to look at tents and sundry equipment. I think this is what got us through a dreary English winter sometimes.
Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Post by walker70 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:10 am

I like a small bit of planning but normally I just love to get on and go wherever the road might take me,now that I have my wing running again this summer I plan to visit some the places I lived when my dad was in the army.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Post by brettchallenger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:23 am

this was well before the internet was even a twinkle in someone's eye.
Another aspect of travel (in Europe) which is missing today is the "Iron Curtain". Before '90, it was only a gentle day's ride from the ferry terminal at the Hook of Holland to Hamburg, beyond which lay the East German border and that was difficult and expensive to cross. legally you were forbidden to take Western currencies into the Workers' Paradise, and when you exchanged Deutsch Marks for Ostmarks the official rate was 1-1 though the latter were practically worthless. I did know someone who used to go regularly with boxes of tampons which he would exchange for cigarettes! Until he got caught, thankfully on the Western side.

The different currencies were also a headache before advent of Euro. It was quite feasible to cross several borders in a day, each with its own currency, so you could end up needing, French Francs, Belgium Francs, Dutch Gilders and German Deutsch Marks, Danish Krone. But it was always exciting getting hold of the different currencies as part of the planning process. In those days you simply couldn't walk into a high street bank and order currency, it had to be ordered 1/2 weeks in advance. Most of Europe wouldn't accept foreign credit cards. What fun.

Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step