Columbia River Gorge

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
rhulstein
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Columbia River Gorge

Post by rhulstein » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:58 pm

As part of a one week trip, on one of the days, I was planning to ride from La Grande Oregon to the Columbia River Gorge, hitting the Columbia River at Boardman, then riding along the river to Portland, then down to Salem. I was planning on riding the Oregon side to the Dalles, then crossing over to Washington and recrossing into Oregon at the Cascade Locks. Anyone have any better suggestions? For instance, should I already cross into Washington at Biggs Junction?

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Re: Columbia River Gorge

Post by keithg64 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:20 am

We are going to battle ground wa in june for a couple of days before heading south to ca. I want to ride the Columbia River gorg. I will be coming from Portland and riding east. Have not done a lot of looking into this but what I have read is that the Washington side is better than the Oregon side. I pan to ride to at least Maryhill or up to rt 82. Could ride one side there and the other side back. We will be on a 10 day trip from the midwest.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Post by Dusty Boots » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:17 pm

Cross over at Umatilla, as riding through the Gorge in OR is mostly by I-84!!
WA's Highway 14 is 2 lanes, much more relaxed and offers very nice views across the river at OR's large grass hills and some great views of Mt Hood that you won't get by staying on the OR side!!

Then cross back over to OR at Cascade Locks via the Bridge of The Gods

Roughly 10 miles later, there's a pull off/rest area/info spot along I-84 that has good views of Multnomah Falls.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Bridge of the God's. Nice place to cross but something you need to consider is that it is a grated bridge all the way across. It is also a toll bridge. Tool booth on the Oregon side.

The first time I went across the Bridge of the Gods, many years ago, I had Dunlop Elite II tires. Those tires were pretty unstable on grates. I really hated grated bridges back then and I didn't know it was grated until we had already started across it from Washington. I was following a few people and at that point I was committed. It was about half a mile in length and I just wanted to get it over with. Then, to my unhappy surprise, I discovered that it was a toll bridge and I was going to have to stop on the grated bridge and pay homage to the builder.

Now that I am using Avon tires on my GL1500, I'm not nearly as concerned about it, I hardly feel the grates. Of course, with the radials on the GL1800 grated bridges are easily navigated, unless wet or frosty.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

rhulstein

Post by rhulstein » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:22 am

MikeB wrote:Bridge of the God's. Nice place to cross but something you need to consider is that it is a grated bridge all the way across. It is also a toll bridge. Tool booth on the Oregon side.

The first time I went across the Bridge of the Gods, many years ago, I had Dunlop Elite II tires. Those tires were pretty unstable on grates. I really hated grated bridges back then and I didn't know it was grated until we had already started across it from Washington. I was following a few people and at that point I was committed. It was about half a mile in length and I just wanted to get it over with. Then, to my unhappy surprise, I discovered that it was a toll bridge and I was going to have to stop on the grated bridge and pay homage to the builder.

Now that I am using Avon tires on my GL1500, I'm not nearly as concerned about it, I hardly feel the grates. Of course, with the radials on the GL1800 grated bridges are easily navigated, unless wet or frosty.
Thanks, but I will take my chances, since it sounds like the best place to cross, other than the grated part. On my 1500 I would have felt less comfortable, but on my 1800 I feel totally confident

rhulstein

Post by rhulstein » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:24 am

Dusty Boots wrote:Cross over at Umatilla, as riding through the Gorge in OR is mostly by I-84!!
WA's Highway 14 is 2 lanes, much more relaxed and offers very nice views across the river at OR's large grass hills and some great views of Mt Hood that you won't get by staying on the OR side!!

58996.jpg

58997.jpg

58999.jpg

59002.jpg

59003.jpg

59005.jpg

Then cross back over to OR at Cascade Locks via the Bridge of The Gods

Roughly 10 miles later, there's a pull off/rest area/info spot along I-84 that has good views of Multnomah Falls.

5406588018_58e5895029_o.jpg
Thanks for the advice, and the great pictures. I guess I will cross to Washington 14 at Umatilla then.

Dusty Boots

Post by Dusty Boots » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:41 am

MikeB wrote:Bridge of the God's. Nice place to cross but something you need to consider is that it is a grated bridge all the way across. It is also a toll bridge. Tool booth on the Oregon side.

The worst tires to have on your front end are ribbed tires (like the OEM Dunlop K177) as the ribs tend to follow every crack and road imperfection!!! :o

A tire with a cross surface tread (like a Dunlop E3) does not have that characteristic and makes riding across grated surfaces a lot more confidence inspiring. Another thing is that you can't line up the grates perfectly straight, any tire will have a tendency to 'hunt' a bit. The trick is to relax your grip on the handlebars and not have a death grip on them. The bike will follow the correct path due to inertia.

BTW .... the toll is only $1 :roll:

rhulstein

Post by rhulstein » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:44 am

The worst thing is to have your wife look down through the grating and start screaming :D

Dusty Boots

Post by Dusty Boots » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:49 am

Well. she would probably be quite intimidated while riding on the grated section of the 'Mighty Mac', then! :lol:

rhulstein

Post by rhulstein » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:37 pm

That looks pretty cool. I guess I have another item to put on my list of places to visit.