10 Day Camping Trip with video updates!

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
someone548
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: 10 Day Camping Trip with video updates!

Post by someone548 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:45 am

themainviking wrote:Just got done watching your summary video and glad you had a great time. The sharp blind turns to either left or right, (left for you) that are a bit intimidating, improve with practice. A little thing called counter steering is immeasurably valuable, if you are not already doing it. It is where you push the left handlebar forward to go left, and push the right handlebar forward to go right. This does give a lot more control and especially the feel of a lot more control to your turn. Not saying I recommend this next, but this is what allows peg scraping in the twisties.
I do counter steer and understand how it works. For me, it is more a mental thing. On a blind left, I just can't trust enough that there isn't a car halfway in my lane on the other side. Still thinking of ways to work on this.

cyberlon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Post by cyberlon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:59 pm

Some day, far in the future, when I eventually walk through those Pearly Gates, I hope to see something similar to your image with the sign: "Winding road, next 99 miles." (of course, a bike waiting for me, and maybe the sign says "Winding one way road to infinity, no speed limit.")

someone548

Post by someone548 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:15 am

cyberlon wrote:Some day, far in the future, when I eventually walk through those Pearly Gates, I hope to see something similar to your image with the sign: "Winding road, next 99 miles." (of course, a bike waiting for me, and maybe the sign says "Winding one way road to infinity, no speed limit.")
Who could ask for more than that? :)

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Post by Dusty Boots » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:20 am

While Hwy 12 across Lolo Pass is a fine road with lots of fast sweepers, wait until you ride northern CA's Hwy 36, one of the top sport bike roads in northern CA!
It runs from Red Bluff out to the coast by Fortuna. This road has it all, some straights, sweepers, big dips (where on the way back and I was somewhat used to this road, I got the wing 4' airborne! :twisted: ) etc.
There is roughly 45 mi of very tight technical 1st n 2nd gear twisties through the mountains that are not forgiving!!. I ground off a lot of metal on that stretch, including my Gremlin Bell! :o
As you near the coastal end of it, there are Giant Coastal Redwoods growing right along the edge of the pavement in the middle of sweepers that block forward vision. Yes, it was a little unnerving at first riding along there @ 65-70 mph in the dappled lighting, but you soon got used to it.

someone548

Post by someone548 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:43 am

Trying to one up me, eh Dusty? :) Just kiddin. Unfortunately 12 was not as fun as it could have been. Currently, pot holes and split asphalt make up a lot of the surface. I spent a lot of time just dodging road hazards. There were a couple of good spots, but Lolo hot springs to about Kooskia is torn up. Kooskia to Lewiston where the road follows the river was very nice however. Lots of fun on that stretch.

Not sure when I'll make it down that way, but that certainly sounds like a road to take :)

rachester67
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by rachester67 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:52 pm

As far as blind corners and idiots its always best to stay in the right 2/3rds of the road just in case. If your quick enough you can straighten up for half a second and get to the right but I don't always trust that I can do that. It is what it is!

someone548

Post by someone548 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:39 am

Just wanted to say a big thanks for all who took the time to read and follow along with my trip. I'll be sure to do this again for my next one. It will likely be another year before I can do another one but I already can't wait. Again, a big thanks to all who helped out along the way with suggestions and advice. Made the longest road trip and first motocamping trip of my life a great one. See ya next time!

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Post by Dusty Boots » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:48 am

Motorcycle touring and camping go together like peanut butter and jelly!
Like motorcycling, once bitten there's no hope of stopping, or getting your fill! ;)

Enjoy your new addiction! :D