Mt Graham Getaway

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
GeocaverDan
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate

Mt Graham Getaway

Post by GeocaverDan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:15 pm

So I rode my Wing up Mt Graham in SE Arizona yesterday and took some pictures of the road. The pavement part of the road is about 28 miles round trip gaining 6000' to a height of 9,500' with hairpin turns the whole way. Along the way I've seen many deer, wild turkeys (of the bird kind) bobcats and even a mountain lion! The mountain is cool retreat from the heat from the valley below and a great break from the desert scenery. BTW I live at the base of Mt. Graham and regularly drive a tour van to the world's largest optical telescope LBT during the summer months.
Attachments
There is only one guardrail on the whole mountain and it's on the gravel road at over 9,500'. So there are no guard rails on the paved road.
There is only one guardrail on the whole mountain and it's on the gravel road at over 9,500'. So there are no guard rails on the paved road.
This is Cadillac curve. It got that name because some older couple was coming down the mountain at night when they seen the two arrows turned to each other they thought lets go between the line and over they went. BTW they did survive but a little on the confused side.
This is Cadillac curve. It got that name because some older couple was coming down the mountain at night when they seen the two arrows turned to each other they thought lets go between the line and over they went. BTW they did survive but a little on the confused side.
Looking at Cadillac curve up.
Looking at Cadillac curve up.
This picture was taken of the mountain a few months back.
This picture was taken of the mountain a few months back.
A picture of the mountain lion as it was making it's escape.
A picture of the mountain lion as it was making it's escape.

"I Don't Watch Life, I Live It!"

someone548
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: Mt Graham Getaway

Post by someone548 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Very nice! Looks like a phone stretch of road. The wildlife can make things interesting. Last year, I saw a bear on the side of the road.

coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Post by coolrogue1 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:41 pm

GeocaverDan wrote:So I rode my Wing up Mt Graham in SE Arizona yesterday and took some pictures of the road. The pavement part of the road is about 28 miles round trip gaining 6000' to a height of 9,500' with hairpin turns the whole way. Along the way I've seen many deer, wild turkeys (of the bird kind) bobcats and even a mountain lion! The mountain is cool retreat from the heat from the valley below and a great break from the desert scenery. BTW I live at the base of Mt. Graham and regularly drive a tour van to the world's largest optical telescope LBT during the summer months.
I have driven that road in an SUV several times, and it is indeed a great place. Now I want to take the wing up...Usually go up Mt Graham after camping in Cochise's Stronghold, then cut up on Hwy 191 to hit Hwy 70 at Safford. I haven't camped at Riggs Flat Campground, but that may change...
Sam

GeocaverDan
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate

Post by GeocaverDan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:52 pm

coolrogue1 wrote:I have driven that road in an SUV several times, and it is indeed a great place. Now I want to take the wing up...Usually go up Mt Graham after camping in Cochise's Stronghold, then cut up on Hwy 191 to hit Hwy 70 at Safford. I haven't camped at Riggs Flat Campground, but that may change...
Contact me if you want a riding partner
"I Don't Watch Life, I Live It!"

coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Post by coolrogue1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:12 pm

Just caught this on my twitter feed. it's from the weather "girl" at channel 15 here in Phoenix. Fire on Mt Graham after storm, probably lightning caused...

Sam