8 Day Camping Trip..Planning...Again?

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
someone548
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

8 Day Camping Trip..Planning...Again?

Post by someone548 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:17 pm

So,
As some of you know, last month I did a long motorcycle trip through Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. My circumstances are changing and I am moving to Tennessee. The issue is, rental companies don't allow bikes in their trucks, I already have a car to tow, and shipping the bike is very expensive. So, as there are no problems, only opportunities, I am going to ride to Tennessee before the move. The week before labor day to be exact. I am going to go from here down to Twin Falls, ID then through Utah,Wyoming or Colorado, Kansas or Nebraska, Missouri or Arkansas, to southern Middle Tennessee. I am hoping to get suggestions of things to see along this general route. I am going to average a bit more miles per day than my last trip as I am a little crunched for time, but no big deal. 8 Days 2500-2600 miles. Camping along the way. Ideas anyone? :) I can also do videos and updates here if anyone wants to follow along again. Let me know! Thanks guys!

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Re: 8 Day Camping Trip..Planning...Again?

Post by brettchallenger » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:45 am

Well that does sound like immense fun. I am sure you won't miss the winters in your new home.
Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

someone548

Post by someone548 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:46 am

I certainly won't! Almost year round riding where I'll be. I'm comfortable at 32 degrees on my bike so December and January riding isn't out of the question!

someone548

Post by someone548 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Looking at the Map, Pike's Peak could be on the way. Anyone been?

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Post by Dusty Boots » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:18 pm

Try Mt Evans (highest paved road in the US) instead, as it's all paved, where Pike's isn't! .... as long as it isn't shut down for the season!!
Any particular reason for a stop over @ Twins Falls again??

someone548

Post by someone548 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Dusty,
I just might do that! I did look at some video of Pikes peak and the unpaved section looked pretty well taken care of. Mt Evans might more fun because of the title. Highest paved road.

I'm just starting to look into possible stops and attractions as it it were. Girlfriend lives in Twin Falls at the moment so I try to get to that area when convenient. Will be taking the freeway the first day to get a jump on the trip and make it to new territory anyway so it works out. I've been just about every back road route between here and there so might as well pack on the miles and save the shorter days for new roads. It's more miles in less days than last time too.

Dusty Boots

Post by Dusty Boots » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:43 pm

Don't forget, the days will be getting shorter then and you'll be loosing 3 hrs of riding time as you head east through various time zones.

someone548

Post by someone548 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Good Point. Didn't think of that. My last trip I would leave a little after sun up and try to camp by 2-3ish. Still hours and hours of light left. I'll probably have leave a little before sunrise and maybe camp a little later. I liked camping early to get some good relaxation in. Reading, chatting with other campers, little hiking...etc We'll see how it plays out. Mt Evans should be open all the way to the summit when I am in that area so that sounds like a fun time. Now....what to do with the other days...hmmmm

Dusty Boots

Post by Dusty Boots » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:19 pm

This will take you within striking distance of Middle TN! - https://goo.gl/maps/4sD6CpCNqF52

No Lollygagging the 1st couple of days ....... and you have your choice of 3 (or more) BLM campsites just outside of Moab, UT but, you might have enough time to spend an extra night relaxing at the very peaceful (and free) campground on Thomas Hill Reservoir, by College Mounds, MO.

someone548

Post by someone548 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Wow, Once again Dusty, thank you. That makes a good starting template for my trip. Also, that route takes me right by Pallisade, CO which is where another passion of mine lives. There's a shop there that stuffs Corvette V8s into Miatas. Always wanted to see it.

I do like that route. It'll be a lot more highway saddle time, but I certainly look forward to it. Going to look at it closer and see if there are any other good spots to see along the way!

I plan on making Elk to Twin falls in one day. If I can do that, I can average about 325 miles a day and make it in my 8 day time frame. Should be fun!

By the way, I'm still planning on going to Klipchuck in August. I'll leave out early Saturday Morning hang out til Sunday.

Dusty Boots

Post by Dusty Boots » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:41 am

Hope to see you there! :!: 8-)

I plan on arriving there Friday before noon and leaving Sunday. ;)