Flagstaff AZ day trips

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
TGinAZ
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Flagstaff AZ day trips

Post by TGinAZ » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:43 am

If you're in Northern Arizona, there are lots of places to explore.... and you might even escape the heat!

The web pages are not very up-to-date, but the content is still mostly relevant (except for perhaps restaurants mentioned): http://tginaz.batcave.net/

coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Re: Flagstaff AZ day trips

Post by coolrogue1 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:41 am

It's all a matter of getting there....For those of us in the greater Phoenix metro area, it's a 2 1/2 hour ride up I-17, unless of course your allergic to interstates then it's a longer/slower ride... I love the Flagstaff area, spent many a summer (at least for a week) at Scout camp just west of Flagstaff... The route to Flagstaff I usually take is a round about route, up through Payson to Strawberry then Camp Verde, up to Cottonwood and hit SR 89A through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon, that alone can take a day depending on how many stops I make along the way, and of course the traffic through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. I have stayed many nights at Mormon Lake Lodge. I used to have a favorite cafe in Flagstaff "The Black Cat Cafe" but it went out of business... And there's the Snow Bowl, in summer they run the ski lift and the views are magnificent from the top. I always try to hit Walnut Canyon just east of Flagstaff, then there's Grand Falls (if the river is running good) but it's a dirt road to get there. There are many interesting museums in the area too. And if you can swing a visit to Lowell observatory you can visit the telescope that first saw Pluto... Of course lately the Goodwin fire has made it interesting getting there...

Sam
Sam

TGinAZ
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by TGinAZ » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:14 am

Sam, I'm glad you mentioned 89A between Sedona and Flagstaff. Yes, it's a fantastic ride when the traffic isn't bad, but at the moment there's road construction at the top of the switchbacks. They extend from about the overlook towards Flagstaff for several miles. The road is closed at night and during the day there's about a mile long stretch that is all dirt and you have to wait for a pilot vehicle to go through.

coolrogue1

Post by coolrogue1 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:51 am

Well that's a bummer.... I checked the AZDOT website and work is scheduled through Fall 2017.... It's too bad there's not a way to get back to I-17, but the closest is where the construction area ends at JW Powell Blvd/Fairgrounds Rd....go figure.

Sam
Sam

captdecker
Motorcycle: 89 Gl1500
2006 GL1800HPN ABS
Kemp Kamp trailer

Post by captdecker » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:37 pm

If your coming up from the valley and go via Payson go on up the 87 to Mormon Lake RD to take you into Flagstaff. I live in Prescott and like that trip also enjoy the restaurant at Clint Wells.

There is even water in Mormon Lake as of a few weeks ago.

coolrogue1

Post by coolrogue1 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:29 pm

captdecker wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:37 pm
If your coming up from the valley and go via Payson go on up the 87 to Mormon Lake RD
Google maps lists that road as "Lake Mary Road" (County Road 3), is it paved all the way through now days? I know it used to turn to dirt road just shortly after passing Lake Mary if coming from the Flagstaff..

Sam
Sam

captdecker
Motorcycle: 89 Gl1500
2006 GL1800HPN ABS
Kemp Kamp trailer

Post by captdecker » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:16 pm

Sam For sure you need to come on up. Lake Mary rd has been paved for a number of year and a good road to boot. You wish to come up this way let me know, meet ya at Clint Well and ride with you.