Wing Ding Grapevine TX

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
montybri
Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Goldwing GL1800 HPN

Wing Ding Grapevine TX

Post by montybri » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:00 pm

Hey looking to see if anyone is interested in riding from LA Calif to the Wing Ding?

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas gas TXT200

Re: Wing Ding Grapevine TX

Post by thrasherg » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:23 pm

What happens at a wing ding? Never been to one, but grapevine is just 15 miles from my house, so it might be worth visiting if I knew what happened at a wing ding.. :D

Gary

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Thrashberg, Wing Ding is the annual gathering of the GWRRA. Normally there will be 20,000 folks or so in attendance. In addition to meals, raffles, seminars, group rides, selfguided tours, there is a huge vendor show which usually includes just about anything you could want for your Wing or for motorcycling. There generally will be some demo rides available and a chance to see and compare different camping trailers, utility trailers and so forth. Recently there have alos been other vendors present selling stuff you might want for your home.

Personally I find the seminars educational, and they normally offer courses in riding, trailering, and riding of trikes. They also offer First Aid and CPR training which is a simple way to keep updated. Unfortunately most of these courses require you to sign up and they are usually filled long before Wing Ding starts.

As noted, this year it will be at the Gaylord Resort there in TX. Unfortunately, registration even for a day is not cheap and parking will also be costly this year. GWRRA management is probably tired of hearing complaints about the cost of parking, but that is just their problem. I will pay this year but never again!

For more detailed info, you can do a Google search and visit the GWRRA website.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas gas TXT200

Post by thrasherg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:36 pm

Thanks Harvey, I did a search on the WEB and found the official web site but it just seemed to list lots of sessions and didn't sound like a lot of fun, hence my question "What really goes on!!". Your description doesn't really make me want to go and visit, maybe I will just go for a nice day's ride out and lookout for the 20,000 wingers in the area!! :lol:

Gary

harvey01

Post by harvey01 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:44 pm

I think sometimes the most enjoyable part of any Gathering is just walking around the parking lot looking at the many interesting things folks have done to their rides. Naturally this is just enhanced with conversations with the various riders. Over the years I have learned a lot listening to others.

Another interesting thing is to watch the "Top Gun" competition as really good riders compete to see who is best. It is also fun to watch the drill teams perform. Those guys do a lot of practice to have their timing just right. I am just not sure it will be as much fun in the heat of TX.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Living as close as you do Gary, it would be worth the entry fee just to see what it is all about.

Here is the registration website: http://wing-ding.org/#pricing

$45 for members. $55 for non-members.

About parking:
For those who are not staying on the property (perhaps staying at another hotel or camping nearby), the current Gaylord Texan parking fee structure states that you would pay $10.00 each time you entered the lot. According to this structure, you would be charged $10.00 every time you returned to the lot from a ride, re-entered the lot after taking your bike into the building for service, etc.

We, GWRRA, felt this was unfair to those choosing to stay at another location, and negotiated an option for you to purchase a parking pass for $50.00, good for the duration of the event. This parking pass will allow you to enter and exit the lot as many times as you'd like throughout the event, August 29 - September 2. This parking pass, and price, was negotiated with our Members' best interest in mind, giving you the best possible option under the circumstances.

These parking passes ($50.00) can be purchased at the Valet Desk inside the Lobby of the Gaylord Texan.

All parking fees are imposed by the Hotel Parking Management, not GWRRA.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

harvey01

Post by harvey01 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:28 am

Mike, do those staying at the Gaylord have to pay the parking fee also?

One would think that Gaylord would be making enough money on this event that they could waive all parking fees. It is truly hard to believe that GWRRA would work out such a poor deal for attendees when everyone is making money. Gwrra needs a new negotiation team!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:06 am

GWRRA did a little negotiating. If you are staying at the Gaylord Texan, there is a $10 parking fee in addition to your room cost. That parking fee has been negotiated down from $18.50/day to $10.00/day. As you likely know, this caliber of a resort is usually well over $300/day plus resort fee plus parking fee, etc., but the Wing Ding rate is just $159 plus the discounted $10 parking rate. You will simply use your room key to gain access to the parking areas!
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Post by Scooter363y » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:58 am

WOW I have always wanted to attend one of these "wingding" things, but it sounds like a big money grab to me! I think I'll have to pass on this one!

Ride safe
Scooter

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:21 pm

^^^That^^^^ May ride around the are
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:18 pm

julimike54 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:21 pm
^^^That^^^^ May ride around the are
That is cryptic and not understandable at all. What are you trying to say?
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

thrasherg

Post by thrasherg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:21 am

I think he is saying that he agrees with the post above, i.e. That it's a money grab and too expensive, but that he might have to ride in the area of the wingding to see all those other wings. I think the word area just got shortened to "are"!! Making it hard to understand

Gary

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Post by Uncle Fester » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:34 pm

MikeB wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:45 pm
Living as close as you do Gary, it would be worth the entry fee just to see what it is all about.

Here is the registration website: http://wing-ding.org/#pricing

$45 for members. $55 for non-members.

About parking:
For those who are not staying on the property (perhaps staying at another hotel or camping nearby), the current Gaylord Texan parking fee structure states that you would pay $10.00 each time you entered the lot. According to this structure, you would be charged $10.00 every time you returned to the lot from a ride, re-entered the lot after taking your bike into the building for service, etc.

We, GWRRA, felt this was unfair to those choosing to stay at another location, and negotiated an option for you to purchase a parking pass for $50.00, good for the duration of the event. This parking pass will allow you to enter and exit the lot as many times as you'd like throughout the event, August 29 - September 2. This parking pass, and price, was negotiated with our Members' best interest in mind, giving you the best possible option under the circumstances.

These parking passes ($50.00) can be purchased at the Valet Desk inside the Lobby of the Gaylord Texan.

All parking fees are imposed by the Hotel Parking Management, not GWRRA.
Well that settles that, I/we will not be coming down to the Wing Ding at all now. We live 150 miles away, and had planned to come down for the day ALL day Friday, but my wife and I are both diabetic and can not eat fast food or "Fair/Carnival Food" for every meal, so we would be leaving for at least one, if not both meals that day. We live on Social Security and can not afford a extra $20 or $30 added to this trip for parking fees by what appears to be a greedy resort.
I know the last show I went to (Tulsa) did not have this kind of issue. Why would GWRRA even consider using them once they found out the resort planned on this type of tom foolery?
Now I have to contact the two venders I had planned to purchase from after I was able to go hands on with their product, and tell them to cancel my potential purchase.
See, this hurts us (lack of a day riding with my wife to see the show and some old friends), it hurts the resort as now they have one less set of parking fees to collect, it hurts at least two venders, and it could hurt GWRRA as now I have to decide if the roughly $100/year is worth it to me now. Lots of losers and potential losers over this. . . .
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Post by Uncle Fester » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:38 pm

MikeB wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:06 am
GWRRA did a little negotiating. If you are staying at the Gaylord Texan, there is a $10 parking fee in addition to your room cost. That parking fee has been negotiated down from $18.50/day to $10.00/day. As you likely know, this caliber of a resort is usually well over $300/day plus resort fee plus parking fee, etc., but the Wing Ding rate is just $159 plus the discounted $10 parking rate. You will simply use your room key to gain access to the parking areas!
I have stayed at many resorts of this caliber over the years, and everyone of them had a per entry fee ( the $10 talked about here) or a daily fee of say $15 that allowed you to come and go as desired each day. People go to these resorts as tourists, and that means we are going to want to go see things, meaning we will leave and return a few times a day at least.

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!