Washington DC and I-495

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Washington DC and I-495

Post by redbug » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:37 am

My sister has nominated me to take the new grandbaby trip to Easton MD. Ok, get the map out and I realized that out of the four trips to the east coast was on mostly 2 lane roads and this trip will be "on the slab" all interstate. We will be coming in on I-66 from I-81 to 495 to Us 50 to Md.
For the last two days of studying maps and watching youtube videos and trying to learn the local language of the beltway, inner loop, outer loop, and the turnpike in part and also find out that there is a guy that drives people in a van across the bay bridge to there cars in fear of driving over the bridge. Then the road reports and construction, delays (take a sandwich) is the norm of the day. Fine.
All of the map routing services so far take me north taking me around the top to US 50. There are 23 exits and approaches north and only 19 exits around the south thru the tunnel, taking in consideration of traffic flow and distance. Then there is US 50 thru town (scenic) might be the ticket. Really what I am trying to do is not look like out of Towner completely and try to make the transition thru town in a respectable manner.
From the pictures I have found to the turnpike and bay bridge toll booths there is a cash only lane or cash lane and of course the EZ pass lane. and coming up to the booths is there system or lane to be in for cash before I get to the booth and not be the one on the wrong lane and having to move over?
Looking forward to the trip and any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Washington DC and I-495

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:47 am

Expect to be stuck in a traffic jam. That's all I can say. :)

The whole beltway area, 495, 271, 95, it's all one huge traffic jam, especially at rush hour. :)

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Post by redbug » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Perfect, as I figured that would be the consensus. This trip will be interesting for sure. Thank you WingAdmin, onward thru the fog. :)
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:31 pm

EZPass lanes are well marked in advance and easy to get in position. The toll roads want your money and do try to make it as easy as possible to get to the toll booths.

Very few folks driving in the DC area are really from the area and you will see license plates from all over the places-states and other nations. If traffic is not stopped it is usually moving faster than the speed limits. Much safer to run with them than be a slowpoke and get run over.

I prefer the southern I-495 and cross the Woodrow Wilson Bridge rather than taking the western route. Probably more habit than anything else. Construction is everywhere. Make sure you have gotten gas before getting into DC area. Nor sure but I think gas is cheaper in VA than in MD.

Have a fun trip and enjoy the grandchild!

harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often