2nd Annual Gathering - 2018

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
BlueThunder
Motorcycle: 2014 CTX1300 Deluxe (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 GL1000 (Ox)
1980 CB750F (BlueThunder)

2nd Annual Gathering - 2018

Post by BlueThunder » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Seeing how much fun the last one was, is it too soon to plan for the 2nd Annual Gathering??

_____
Brian

2014 Honda CTX1300 (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 Honda GL1000 (Ox)
1980 Honda CB750F (BlueThunder)
1982 Honda CB900F (RedThunder)

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: 2nd Annual Gathering - 2018

Post by harvey01 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:16 pm

It is never too early to begin planning. Dates for such an event are better decided as far in advance so those not retired can plan their time off.

Just to get the minds going fall is a great time but in many places you do have folks in RV's and such looking for the turning leaves. Late spring on other hand avoids this problem but does come when highway crews are fixing the roads from winter damage. But I would look at late September or perhaps in May.

Location is always a problem. My suggestion would be to move things a little further east and enjoy the fabulous roads of West VA, such as Canaan Valley. (The state operates two really nice resorts in that area, Canaan Valley state Park and Blackwater Falls State Park. Both have restauants and serve good food. Additionally there are restaurants nearby in the town of Davis, WV. Both resorts also have conference rooms to meet and greet.

Nearby, an hour or so ride is Elkins with all of the normal motels and restaurants for those who would rather be in the city.

South of Canaan Valley and further west is the town of Marlinton, WV which has had several rallies especially with the CBX Club. It is near a scenic skyway or RT150 that is very nice ride. Nearby is the Cass railroad which is a fun side trip.

But the roads throughout the mountains of WV make for fun riding. I would suggest for planning purposes that a couple extra days be added to allow for more group rides and tours.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

BlueThunder
1977 GL1000 (Ox)

Post by BlueThunder » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:40 am

I have found that a fixed date every year is the best for long term planning - especially if one has many group rides to attend :D . If we fix the date for the ride to be the 3rd weekend after Labor Day (as the 1st Gathering took place), this gives everyone an opportunity to plan accordingly. It also affords an excellent possibility of good weather.

As far as location, that of course can always be decided upon. I do think however, that the same location should also be considered. We did not even touch the numerous roads that exist in Hocking Hills area. Although coming home through West Virginia, I rode many great roads. Not to mention there are also many great roads in the Cumberland MD area as well.
_____
Brian

1977 Honda GL1000 (Ox)

MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Post by MiWinger51 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:50 am

BlueThunder wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:40 am
I have found that a fixed date every year is the best for long term planning - especially if one has many group rides to attend :D . If we fix the date for the ride to be the 3rd weekend after Labor Day (as the 1st Gathering took place), this gives everyone an opportunity to plan accordingly. It also affords an excellent possibility of good weather.

As far as location, that of course can always be decided upon. I do think however, that the same location should also be considered. We did not even touch the numerous roads that exist in Hocking Hills area. Although coming home through West Virginia, I rode many great roads. Not to mention there are also many great roads in the Cumberland MD area as well.
You are correct, there are lots of roads and tours in that area. Enough to last for numerous gatherings. As Harvey mentioned WV has some great routes also. Wherever #2 takes place, I'll be there. Let's get double the number next year!!!
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:55 am

I liked where we went, but I haven't spent any time in WV and would like to see what it has to offer. Always have been intrigued by the Appalachia stuff!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:13 am

BlueThunder wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:40 am

That's true - when in Hocking Hills we will usually wander around the huge maze of twisty, wonderful roads all day long, never seeing the same one twice, then tell the GPS to take us back when we're done. We can do that for days and days.

We've had suggestions for:

- Hocking HIlls again
- West Virginia
- Blue Ridge Mountains

katt45us
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda 1500se

Post by katt45us » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:50 am

Pigeon Forge,Tennessee should be considered as it is centrally located east of the Mississippi.Plenty of curvy mountain roads and lodging

jbaviera
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by jbaviera » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:52 am

No, it's NOT too soon! :D :D :D
While there's still a lot to see in Hocking Hills, WV and TN sound excellent as well!
Though, unlike I think most on here, for me, it's not all "just about the ride", I like destinations as well! Places to tour. The Piatt Castles (http://www.piattcastles.org/Home.html), Miners Memorial Park and Big Muskie's "bucket", several different caverns and Indian mound locations just to name a few sites. (Yes, I like showing off MY State :lol: )

-Jeff
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Post by keithg64 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:12 am

A buddy and I will be in Marietta ohio in 3 week's, this will be our first time their. Been looking forward to it for a couple of months. I bought a butler map for the area and ohio and west Virginia looks to have a ton of great road's.
We have also been to arkansas several times. They have great roads in that area to.
The last weekend of September or the first weekend of October would work for me because of other obligations in mid September but open to anytime.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 111,980 miles

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:14 am

Speaking of Arkansas roads, I was there yesterday and the mountain range in Eastern Oklahoma and Arkansas is just as good as you can find anywhere...

When I rode through West Virginia last year, I kept commenting to my daughter that this just looks like Arkansas to me.... even a lot of the trees were the same kind.

Yesterday, a group of us met in Ft. Smith, AR and then went SW to Talimena State Park, OK and then we doubled back into Arkansas and stopped for lunch at Queen Wilhemina State Park lodge for some very good vittles.
http://www.queenwilhelmina.com/

here is a SPOT track of where we went, most of this area is lined with trees everywhere, until you get back up near Spiro, OK and west where it turns into the plains area... still a huge amount of trees and farms, ranches to see.

John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

glrider7
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500

Post by glrider7 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:00 pm

Sorry I missed the first gathering. I guess I am not reading carefully enough because I didn't know about it until now. Sounds like a great time and I would love to attend the second one. As for location, it seems that central USA might be better for everyone to increase the numbers. If the get together is on either coast it would take quite a bit of time for someone on the opposite coast to get their. Even in central USA is harder for me that say someone who is in Central Canada (I am pretty much as far west in Canada as you can go). Also as someone referenced people who are not retired, having something too far away may limit their chances of attending. Luckily for me I am be away from work for 8 or 9 weeks so any place is not quite an issue as it may be for others.

For accomodations I like the ide of having state parks close by. I have a Kompact Kamp trailer and love to get away with it. If fact I bought a newer one 2 years ago and due to family problems have not had a chance to use it yet.

Hope to see a lot of people next year. Happy and safe riding.

GLer
Motorcycle: Goldwing GL1800

Post by GLer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:06 pm

You all forgive me, but I am gonna whine:

Firstly, Many of the great gatherings of Windingers seem to take place toward the Eastern part of the US. Hey, Honda lives on the West Coast too.

How about you fellers hightail up to Reddings CA or OR where there are nice roads also and the likelihood of not encountering the wrath of Tornado Alley?

Secondly, how about conducting this event well outside of the school-year. Many folks' lives are tied to children attending schools--yea, I mean grandparents. Many, including myself, have to be at home at the start of the school year and cannot be wandering around on a motorcycle during that time.

I suggested this to GWRRA who, once again, are having the rally inside the school year schedule; basically, limiting attendance to retiree and bank robbers...if you get my drift.

I vote for anywhere from Texas to the West Coast. And from the end of May to very early August.

There, I feel better now.
Geez that was a load off my back. ;) :geek: :|

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Post by Mag » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:22 am

lol....that was good. Not that I would be able to go (do not know yet, still needing to get through this year) .

BlueThunder
1977 GL1000 (Ox)

Post by BlueThunder » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:59 am

GLer wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:06 pm
You all forgive me, but I am gonna whine:

Firstly, Many of the great gatherings of Windingers seem to take place toward the Eastern part of the US. Hey, Honda lives on the West Coast too.

How about you fellers hightail up to Reddings CA or OR where there are nice roads also and the likelihood of not encountering the wrath of Tornado Alley?
I vote for anywhere from Texas to the West Coast. And from the end of May to very early August.

There, I feel better now.
Geez that was a load off my back. ;) :geek: :|
There doesn't need to be only ONE ride. Why not start a separate thread for a Western Gathering?
_____
Brian

1977 Honda GL1000 (Ox)

cardinal
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

Post by cardinal » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:44 pm

The problem with having a rally on the west coast during the summer is that it's extremely hot from Redding South. If you get anywhere near where it's cool, during June to Mid September, the crowds are unbelievable. Camp grounds are generally filled with reservations, sometimes nearly a year out. Even late September can be hot here in the central valley and Yosemite is still crowded on the weekends.
Maybe somewhere in Idaho, like Couer d'Alene or McCall. I haven't ridden there yet, it's on my list for next year.
Maybe when I decide exactly when I'm going I'll just put an open invitation to everyone here to join us. There's generally 4 of us that ride Goldwings that make 2 trips a year. See my report called "5 Hondas to Utah". We're heading for Overgaard, AZ on the 11th of this month. Went up to Depoe Bay this last June. Not sure if we'll go to Idaho next spring or wait until the fall.
How many are out West? And the west contains more than California or the coastal states.
A more centrally located area might be Sturgis, in mid to late September, after the rowdy ones leave. Some great riding around there.

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade SEI 1200

Post by Mountain rider » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:46 pm

The wife and I would love to attend one of these, but as mentioned, everything seems to take place back East. It's a bit far for our current schedule. Something closer to the middle of the country or, as mentioned, having another event more to the West would work better. Northern Utah, maybe Cody, Wyoming, or even Colorado. I'd love to see something here in Idaho (of course, I live here ;) ), as there are many great day rides from mountains to lava flows to lakes and water falls. Worst case, maybe we could set up a meet and greet here. I've got about an acre of ground, we could throw up some tents, have a fire in the fire pit, and barbecue. There are plenty of RV parks, hotels and B&B's in the area as well. Just a thought for those of you on this side of the country.

GLer
Motorcycle: Goldwing GL1800

Post by GLer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:14 pm

cardinal wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:44 pm
The problem with having a rally on the west coast during the summer is that it's extremely hot from Redding South. If you get anywhere near where it's cool, during June to Mid September, the crowds are unbelievable. Camp grounds are generally filled with reservations, sometimes nearly a year out. Even late September can be hot here in the central valley and Yosemite is still crowded on the weekends.
Maybe somewhere in Idaho, like Couer d'Alene or McCall. I haven't ridden there yet, it's on my list for next year.
Maybe when I decide exactly when I'm going I'll just put an open invitation to everyone here to join us. There's generally 4 of us that ride Goldwings that make 2 trips a year. See my report called "5 Hondas to Utah". We're heading for Overgaard, AZ on the 11th of this month. Went up to Depoe Bay this last June. Not sure if we'll go to Idaho next spring or wait until the fall.
How many are out West? And the west contains more than California or the coastal states.
A more centrally located area might be Sturgis, in mid to late September, after the rowdy ones leave. Some great riding around there.

Cardinal,
I encourage you to run with this. From Redding North or West is not that hot during Summer...well...in todays weather pattern, we don't know if the Second Coming of Jesus is gonna happen anytime, let alone weather predictions...

But yea, Couer D Alene is beautiful, Utah way is good, Depoe Bay...that's the ticket there.

Let me know with a pm if you get something going...thanks for this post

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:31 pm

Hey.....We can have the "I think I missed Sturgis" Sturgis run. The Oregon Coast run is always a good one, and really beautiful. Last time I was in Idaho was Couer d'Alene was 25 years ago, camping on the college grounds during a GWTA event. Fantastic riding up there. If I can go, I would just be happy to ride, i.e. John Travolta's words during Wild Hogs "I'm not in a rush, man. I just wanna ride, man. I just wanna ride. You know? Ride, Sally, ride."

' ~

cardinal

Post by cardinal » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:05 am

GLer wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Cardinal,
I encourage you to run with this. From Redding North or West is not that hot during Summer...well...in todays weather pattern, we don't know if the Second Coming of Jesus is gonna happen anytime, let alone weather predictions...

But yea, Couer D Alene is beautiful, Utah way is good, Depoe Bay...that's the ticket there.

Let me know with a pm if you get something going...thanks for this post
The only place I am really familiar with, unfortunately, is here in Central California. It's HOT here in the summer.
I'm going to try and make it to Couer de Alene this spring or next fall. I have no idea how crowded they are
during the summer vacation months. Anybody up there who can chime in and let us know?
Last edited by cardinal on Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

cardinal

Post by cardinal » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:21 am

Mag wrote: Hey.....We can have the "I think I missed Sturgis" Sturgis run. The Oregon Coast run is always a good one, and really beautiful. Last time I was in Idaho was Couer d'Alene was 25 years ago, camping on the college grounds during a GWTA event. Fantastic riding up there. If I can go, I would just be happy to ride, i.e. John Travolta's words during Wild Hogs "I'm not in a rush, man. I just wanna ride, man. I just wanna ride. You know? Ride, Sally, ride."

The short time I spent going through Deadwood and Strugis was beautiful. I went in late September of last year. Rooms were cheap, left over Strugis shirts and hats were REALLY cheap and crowds were non existent, even at Mt. Rushmore.
What little I saw of the area convinced me that there are quite a few roads and attractions that I missed.

How come my reply ended up in the shaded quote area? :?:

' ~

Mag

Post by Mag » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:41 am

See? I could pick up a cheap shirt and enjoy the roads. Now I just need to find a way to make $$ and get the time off at the same time. In due time...

And why did your reply show up that way? I dunno, I saw you replied, but thought "that was weird" until I saw what you typed. Interesting to say the least ;)

cardinal

Post by cardinal » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:12 pm

Mountain rider wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:46 pm
The wife and I would love to attend one of these, but as mentioned, everything seems to take place back East. It's a bit far for our current schedule. Something closer to the middle of the country or, as mentioned, having another event more to the West would work better. Northern Utah, maybe Cody, Wyoming, or even Colorado. I'd love to see something here in Idaho (of course, I live here ;) ), as there are many great day rides from mountains to lava flows to lakes and water falls. Worst case, maybe we could set up a meet and greet here. I've got about an acre of ground, we could throw up some tents, have a fire in the fire pit, and barbecue. There are plenty of RV parks, hotels and B&B's in the area as well. Just a thought for those of you on this side of the country.
It looks like some good rides around Rigby. Rigby to Jackson, back up to Tetonia then to Ashton and back to Rigby is only about 4 hours saddle time. I'll bet a native knows some great rides in the area.... :D

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Hey, Cardinal.. too bad: I live about two hours from Overgaard, but am booked solid on Wednesday. I see you're from Fresno. Say Hi to the ducks next time you're at Roeding Park. My buddy and I spent many hours there in the Summer of '67 just making sure those ducks were well fed. Cheap entertainment when we weren't riding.

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

cardinal

Post by cardinal » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:15 am

Actually we're getting there Wednesday night and will be leaving Friday morning when we'll probably head for Sedona, Cottonwood area.
It's been a while since I've been in Roeding Park. The Zoo expanded and took up a fair chunk of it, but the duck pond was unaffected.

glrider7
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500

Post by glrider7 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:10 pm

As for weather I think it all depends on the year. I have been to Couer d'Alene (yes I copied and pasted it lol) and it was so damn hot, I had to jump in the river with all my clothes on. I then got back on the bike and continued riding. It didn't take long for me to be completely dry. We usually have a moderate summer bt this year was an exception. Temperatures were way higher than normal, and we went over 40 days without rain measurement. Any of you who know about Vancouver will know that is a rarity. Of course we are paying for it now. What did Eric Clapton say? Let it rain, let it rain down on me.