The loneliest road in America???

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: The loneliest road in America???

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:54 am

I have ridden I-8 and I-10 and I-40 from Arizona south and west to the shore lines...

All can be boring to me, I have seen them too many times.
they can have a lot of side winds at 30 mph up to 50 mph... I have experienced that on all of those routes over the last 30 years Lived in Mesa, AridZona from 1991-2011

I have yet to take Hwy 50 in Nevada, but I think I would do that the next time, for the same reason as Tom has stated, it is time to smell the roses, I am not interested in huge, long miles, from point 'A' to point 'B'...

300 miles a day, and I am done anymore.

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

https://goo.gl/maps/2zH93W9YW372

515 E Eads Pkwy, Greendale, IN 47025
812-537-4441

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:49 am

So far it looks like boring and maybe sometimes windy are the only negatives so far. I live in Oklahoma so boring and or windy won't be a problem. If riding a motorcycle depended on either of those conditions I wouldn't ever be able to ride. ;) A day without wind around here is the exception and boring is only a state of mind. I love the wide open spaces out west. I love the quiet and solitude of some areas.
One of the memories that stays with me today is back in the 80s riding my 1100i across eastern Washington, on US Hwy 2, I stopped at a parking area. When I turned off the bike I was struck by the feeling that something wasn't right. After a few seconds looking around it occurred me, No traffic noise, no birds singing, no insect noise no nothing. Absolute utter silence. Great unexpected experience.

John, I will have to make several days much over 300 miles on this trip due to time constraints. I figure once I get to California and Oregon 300 miles will be a long day. Once I turn towards home however it will be like a horse heading for the barn.

Thanks guys!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Tom,
I worked the Four Corners area for almost 15 years.
Travelled the roads from ABQ to Farmington, NM and Cortez, CO, and Durango, CO more times than I can count.

Every single trip, I was mesmerized by something new that I had not seen before....
Every time you go over those roads, the sky is slightly different giving a different hue to the topography....
Reds and greys show up, that were just "white caliche" the day before..
and drizzling rain would change those colors into sombre blues and browns.

i will never forget my years of living in the Great Southwest, it is all beautiful... you just have to take the time to learn to enjoy everything around you.

I once had the wonderful blessing of "working on the job" while flying a Piper Tri-Pacer airplane. It was a 'company plane' that we used to get from NW Utah down to every where in the state and Nevada... we had a lot of telephone switch centers to take care of...... I flew over the Grand Canyon and just was over whelmed with the beauty of it. that is illegal today sadly. the DoGooders have ruined what is one of the most beautiful experiences we can have. One of the things that got me that job, was that I used to Own that very type airplane and was already familiar with how to drop it into a short field for landing and takeoff.
See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

https://goo.gl/maps/2zH93W9YW372

515 E Eads Pkwy, Greendale, IN 47025
812-537-4441

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

grump
Motorcycle: 81 & 83 gl1100

Post by grump » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:42 am

headed west from Ely the wind blows from the south. 400 miles of left turn to compensate. beautiful if you love the desert. Misery if you don't.

Wirelic
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
1986 Suzuki Cavalcade
1977 Triumph 750 Bonneville
1967 Triumph Mountain Cub

Post by Wirelic » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:04 am

I’ve ridden 50 across Nevada and highly recommend it! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Generally, it crosses wide valleys, many 15-30 miles across, then grinds its way up the next mountain spine or range. To me, it’s very beautiful. One responder here complained of too much traffic, he had to be joking as I found almost no traffic. Solitude, small, historic towns, that’s all true. Lots of sage. There is a real beauty out there. I remember a rain shower and the strong smell of wet sage in the air after the rain quit. I still remember the gorgeous sky-black, Black rain clouds backlit by golden and scarlet clouds with shafts of brilliant sunshine shiny thru and down onto the valley floor. I will never forget that ride.
Do gas up whenever you can, you won’t run out of fuel that way. Reflecting back on my travels there, I’d go again without a moments hesitation!