The loneliest road in America???

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: The loneliest road in America???

Post by dingdong » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Skibumvet: I will have to spend some time perusing your post for info. Thanks! We rode Yosemite 3 years ago and stayed in Cambria just north of San Luis Obispo so not heading that direction.

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:18 pm

Skibumvet: You confused me with your statement about heading south on Hwy 1 to San Luis Obispo and Yosemite.. Did you mean Big Sur or San Simeon or ?? 😊 Just curious.

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

pick126
Motorcycle: 2003 GL 1800

Post by pick126 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:34 pm

Traveling west from GA I stopped in Denver for a visit then headed west to Reno and beyond. I left I-70 in Salina, UT and took US 50 west. It wandered over to Delta, UT then Ely, NV. I probably should have spent the night in Delta but wound up pushing on to Ely where I spent the nite on the Shawnee Reservation. It was well past dark thirty when I arrived and I had passed two elk herds in the dusk and then the dark.

After Ely the road was flat and straight for a while then twisting up and over a small range which was usually forested. There are lots of abandoned mines and each tiny town is historically significant and usually has interesting sites. Be sure to fill up and hydrate at each stop and carry a few extra bottles in case you are stopped for some reason. When traveling I usually carry one or two MSR fuel bottles which I shared with a stranded biker along the way. It was a long way between seeing people. I have also traveled the Alaska Hwy and the distance between seeing other people was not dis-similar.

Gtabbut1
Motorcycle: 1994 gl1500 aspencade

Post by Gtabbut1 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:32 am

Make sure there in no construction going on during your trip! The Nevada highway department was doing resurface it when we went through about 5 years ago. We were about 200 miles from nowhere when we encountered the construction.

drainplug
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
1976 R90/6
1983 Yamaha Virago

Post by drainplug » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:15 am

A friend and I did 50 from the UT. Nev. state line last August. There was no construction then but you never know with the Hwy. dept.
The rule for riding in the desert is Never Pass Gas, and it applies here too. I really like the route although it can be somewhat Ho Hum, try New Mexico 9.
We went on the cheap and camped at Lohotan Res. outside of Carson Nv. Nice CG with showers. We took a site below the Dam and it smelled pretty sulfery. Suggest you stay up near the Lake.
Always carry water when in the desert and it could be cold in the spring.
We went over the Sierras south of Tahoe on to avoid the crowds on Ca. 88, then north on Ca.49 then Ca. 89. Then we took Ca 44 into Redding.
After Redding we took 299 west to 101 along the coast to 199 into Grants Pass. The fires were just starting to rip about then so we ended up in smoke for the next few days. We were in Crater Lake about a day or two before they closed it because of the fires and the Lodge area was closed before we got there.

Skibumvet
Motorcycle: 1996 GL 1500 SE

Post by Skibumvet » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:17 am

Sorry about the confusion on the coast part of the trip. After getting to the coast, we essentially did 101 through the redwoods, Avenue of the Giants then onto 1 at Leggett following 1 into San Francisco, hugged the coast through San Fran to miss much traffic. The panoramic highway into Mill Valley is a good alternative road to leave the coast. Did an afternoon in Sausalito before getting through San Fran. Then into Monterey and on south on 1 until Cambria turning east to Yosemite.
Correction on Fortuna as the victorian town. It was actually Ferndale. Not far off your route and well worth the stay for a night.
If going south, do not miss the oyster bars in the Marshall area! Fresh and the best I have ever had (though pricey).

pick126
Motorcycle: 2003 GL 1800

Post by pick126 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:29 am

Then we took Ca 44 into Redding.
After Redding we took 299 west to 101 along the coast to 199 into Grants Pass. The fires were just starting to rip about then so we ended up in smoke for the next few days. We were in Crater Lake about a day or two before they closed it because of the fires and the Lodge area was closed before we got there.
[/quote]

My route was very much the same-Tahoe, Redding, Grant's Pass, Bend OR, Yokohama, etc, CA 199 thru the John Muir wilderness was extraordinarily beautiful.

drainplug
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
1976 R90/6
1983 Yamaha Virago

Post by drainplug » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:22 am

BTW I live in Beaver Utah about 50 miles north of Cedar City, 100 miles from St. George on Interstate 15.
If you need some help in the area, I can PM you my direct contact info.
I have a large trailer (16') if need be. There's not much for M/C support out here in God's country.

seadragon22

Post by seadragon22 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:02 pm

Yes it IS the Loneliest Road in America. I've been across it 4 times. At one point I went 5 hours and never saw a vehicle moving in either direction.To and from California from Colorado. You will be crossing Great Basin desert. Distinctly different from Sonoran desert in Arizona. It is VERY bleak. I LIKED it! If your into camping go all the way East to the Great Basin National Park. Take the road to Wheeler Peak. You will climb through a number of different ecosystems. The campground is in the trees in an Alpine eco-system 'bout halfway up. I was in there in June in the middle of the week. I had the campground all to myself. Absolutely beautiful. Run the road to the top as far as you can. You'll still be well short of the peak BUT you will look at it and you will notice the top of the mountain was, quite literally, BLOWN apart millions of years ago.Most impressive.
When crossing, gas up when you can. The Wing should make ir easily from stop to stop but, like altitude above ya and runway behind ya, get it when you can.
You can stop in Austin NV at the lunch counter. I advise you wear a pistol, don't bother to conceal it. No one else does out there.
But relax. Folks out there regard it as a tool, not a weapon.
If you continue east to the Utah line you will cross at a place called, (I ain't kiddin' ya on this) Skull Rock Pass.
Enjoy the run.

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:08 am

About the same trip I have started planning. I hadn't decided how to come back yet but I have an idea of what I think I want to do.

I'll be leaving Denver and heading out mostly via secondary roads to SLC. There I think I'll need to follow some interstate up into Idaho, then over towards Portland, then on into Seattle. From there it's down towards Tillamook (Also the air museum in the old blimp hangar that was closed when I went) then over to Route 101. Down into San Francisco and then LA and then back towards home.

Now I'll have to look at Highway 50 to see if that's the way I want to go but I am intrigued by the idea of very little traffic. I'll be towing a bunkhouse trailer but I do carry an extra 2 gallons of gas so I hope it will be enough.

If I'm lucky, my lovely daughter will be able to go with since she has been itching to get back to Seattle ever since we took her back in 1999. I'm crossing my fingers that she can go.

Then in September, my son and I head to New York, finger lakes area. Still working on that but got some good ideas and keep listing them in my phone so my CRS doesn't kick in!

seadragon22

Post by seadragon22 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:01 am

Well I see your heading out on a route I have run a few times. My oldest daughter is at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and my youngest in Colorado Springs. Since it is not my lot in life to make anyone's journey easier, I will add to your burden. LOL! The "Spruce Goose", H4 Hercules Flying Boat by Howard (the Duck) Hughes is in the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville OR. I was ankling down Rt 99 and got on the McMinnville bypass. Of course I am minding my own business when I looked over and saw this HUGH hanger in the middle of nowhere. What the hell, says I. That looks big enough to house the Goose. LOL! (Way to be observant, Buckwheat! ) The museum had JUST opened and they had transported the aircraft in pieces across the mountains from the coast. It was the Gooses new home. I took the tour and as I have spent a some time as an aviator, I WAS IMPRESSED. (That ain't easy to do!) The aircraft was built so that the round engines could be serviced IN FLIGHT. I am 6'3" and could walk around in the wing root section to actually service the engines while it was up and flying. If you have an opportunity, don't miss it. I will be taking my grandsons (how'd THAT happen!) to see it this summer.

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:05 am

Funny you should mention the Evergreen Museum. I have my shirt hanging in my closet though I was a bit disappointed when I went. Talked to the person taking the money and told her how much I wanted to see the Spruce Goose and go through it.

Surprise! It wasn't open. It was being worked on yet to make it handicap accessible. Oh well. Got to see the other planes.

It is on my list to visit again. Hopefully get into the Goose and see it. But to see the B-17 and the fighters and compare them was the highlight anyway!

Thanks for mentioning it and I will be stopping by to see it.

seadragon22

Post by seadragon22 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:52 am

After I wrote yesterday, I called my son in law in Bremerton, a submariner, and asked him if he had taken the kids to see the Goose. They are going in April. I will caution them to call first to make sure it's open. Thanks for prodding my brain into gear. Sorry you didn't get to see the interior. I hope you get the opportunity. It IS fascinating. Howard was a Whack, but he caused a helluva ship to be built!
The Wasp Major motors were the highest expression of piston power technology. After this, it was turbines all the way. I was working on a Pratt 600 HP engine in an Ag Cat in North Dakota (at least we ain't South Dakota) one day and cursing it, as usual, and an old timer in the corner was extolling the virtues of the round engines. I looked over, covered in oil and sweat, and told him, "They quit making these in 1956 for a reason, Ole!" LOL!
I am currently living in Syracuse, around the Finger lakes, but we are moving this year to Kansas, Dorothy. The 11 feet of snow annually has finally convinced me to go elsewhere. LOL!

seadragon22

Post by seadragon22 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:02 am

AND ,it suddenly occurred to me if your coming East this summer and you like aviation, stop at Wright Pat Air Base in Dayton Ohio, to see the National Museum of Air Force. By far the most complete collection of aircraft I have EVER seen, bar none. Makes the Smithsonian look like amateur night. The have a Valkyrie on display. As I said I'm 6'3" and a little with a 9' reach. I can't touch the bottom of the engine nacelles. Now THAT'S quite a ship.
Enjoy the run AND your daughter. I am lucky. Had two and they turned out exceptional. I can die justified.

echinus1988

Post by echinus1988 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:13 am

Dayton is definitely already on the list. I haven't been there since 1975 so my route will take us through so we can stop. I remember it also as being huge and a great place to go through. Both my son and I enjoy air museums. Took him through Hanger 25 in Big Spring Texas. Used to be home to Webb AFB and I was stationed there for 2.5 years before it closed. Not a big museum but fun to visit and see how things have changed.

Both my kids are great! They keep busy and enjoy doing things with friends and family. My daughter isn't sure she can go yet but I am crossing my fingers that she can. I did tell her that riding Route 101 has been a dream of mine so sorry, no car! We'll see how that works out. I don't think she'll mind too much since I do have a bunkhouse trailer to pull behind, that is, if I ever get the hitch put on! She got a new car so she is understandably wanting to take it places.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:21 am

seadragon22 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:02 am
The have a Valkyrie on display. As I said I'm 6'3" and a little with a 9' reach. I can't touch the bottom of the engine nacelles. Now THAT'S quite a ship.
They have "THE" Valkyrie.....
Only two were ever built and one crashed.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:28 pm

Wright Pat Air Base in Dayton Ohio, to see the National Museum of Air Force

I stopped in there two years ago, only had 3 hours to look around...
that was not enough time to even go through the first building!!!

I saw the old piston aircraft from the Wright Brothers and on up to WWI and a bit later....
never got into the other buildings at all.
~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

echinus1988

Post by echinus1988 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:23 pm

I do remember the Valkyrie since I have a picture of my dad reaching up and "holding" the nose up. I had bought my brother's car and was picking it up to bring back to Texas. Made it a nice family trip. I figure we'll spend enough time there to see a lot of it. Won't be in a rush so we will be able to spend an extra night there. I'm anxious to go . The Valkyrie was outside when we went.

It will be a great trip and we'll probably follow Hwy 50 a lot. We avoid interstate as much as possible.

seadragon22

Post by seadragon22 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:29 am

LOL! A final word on Air Museums and bikers and then I'll toddle off into the sunset. I USED to work for the FAA( SO WHAT, says you, patience! They have all their schools for the support of RADAR, nav and com equipment in Ok City. After having spent, literally, years there one might say I have some small familiarity with the area and one would be correct. BUT I am on my way back to my apartment one afternoon and I go right by Wiley Post Airport. Like Chuck Berry, no particular place to go, and I see a sign advertising the Oklahoma City Air Museum. It's small but I stop and go in. There is ONE guy in the office filling out some paper. So I sit and we get to talking(he's a biker as well) and I tell him my background and he says "You DO know this is the home of Miss America RIGHT?
LOL! Like MOST humans I don't want to appear stupider than I really am. (How did THAT work exactly?) so I say SURE. He then proceeds to take me out into the hanger and there she sits. Miss America! A P-51 Reno unlimited Air Race. BEAUTIFUL. I have about 8 hours driving a P-51 (don't ask! It would be to embarrassing to tell how I got them 'cause I ain't THAT old! ) So I kinda knew what the hell I was looking at. I was there for about 3 hours just looking and talking. I'm not sayin' you should go out of your way to go there but if your in the area .STOP. Well worth it. And the free coffee was not bad! Adios amigos. Ride safe!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:58 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:28 pm
Wright Pat Air Base in Dayton Ohio, to see the National Museum of Air Force

I stopped in there two years ago, only had 3 hours to look around...
that was not enough time to even go through the first building!!!

I saw the old piston aircraft from the Wright Brothers and on up to WWI and a bit later....
never got into the other buildings at all.
You can't do that place even in a day. They have added a new hangar since you (and I) were last there - all the stuff that used to be crammed into the annex, including the XB-70 and some of the stuff left outdoors is now in the new hangar, and you don't have to travel via bus on-base to see it. Time for another visit! :)

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Just reread this entire post and still smiling about Ravyns post about it being as busy as I-5. We left Whidbey Island and headed for Crater Lake driving a 1 ton Chevy truck with a 40 foot Toy Hauler and a 16 foot sailboat behind that. Also had along a 29 foot sailboat with it's truck. Had to get 2 parking spaces in the Crater Lake Campground. They came and took pictures saying they never had a sailboat there before. I got to ride my sons 1800 around the crater. What a beautiful ride. They had just opened the roads because of snow, and this June. Granddaughters loved it. That is one of many beautiful places. Left there heading south and one morning got caught in construction that detoured us (after 40 miles) back to within a quarter mile from where we started that morning. That detour took us to Calif which we were trying to avoid because we had weapons that Calif doesn't allow. (We were moving) Spent the night along side the road. Spent the next night at Fallon on the base. If you are going to Ely, you need to do your Walmart shopping where you are cause it is 398 miles round trip from Ely. Spent several days there waiting for A truck part. It is a beautiful ride across 50! Lonely, but beautiful. On to Zion N.P., Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, and any other national park we felt like visiting. This is one beautiful country! Would love to do that same trip on the bikes. Have a safe trip.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1994 Yamaha TW200, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:33 pm

seelyark1 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:49 pm
Just reread this entire post and still smiling about Ravyns post about it being as busy as I-5. We left Whidbey Island and headed for Crater Lake driving a 1 ton Chevy truck with a 40 foot Toy Hauler and a 16 foot sailboat behind that. Also had along a 29 foot sailboat with it's truck. Had to get 2 parking spaces in the Crater Lake Campground. They came and took pictures saying they never had a sailboat there before. I got to ride my sons 1800 around the crater. What a beautiful ride. They had just opened the roads because of snow, and this June. Granddaughters loved it. That is one of many beautiful places. Left there heading south and one morning got caught in construction that detoured us (after 40 miles) back to within a quarter mile from where we started that morning. That detour took us to Calif which we were trying to avoid because we had weapons that Calif doesn't allow. (We were moving) Spent the night along side the road. Spent the next night at Fallon on the base. If you are going to Ely, you need to do your Walmart shopping where you are cause it is 398 miles round trip from Ely. Spent several days there waiting for A truck part. It is a beautiful ride across 50! Lonely, but beautiful. On to Zion N.P., Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, and any other national park we felt like visiting. This is one beautiful country! Would love to do that same trip on the bikes. Have a safe trip.
Glad ya got a kick out of my post. He asked , I responded, like I said ... different strokes for different folks. there are parts of 50 that are somewhat ok. But not through nevada...."Yawn" But then most of you east coast flatlanders would be excited about anything with a hill in it. especially if your from Flor a duhhhh. I spent more then a few summers working there, once again.... yawn!!! maybe I hit it at a bad time traffic wise but he semi traffic and the yuppie touristoes... where everywhere.... want lonely , try 93 north to south through nevada, but once again.... yawn...boring. Have fun on a boring trip !

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:16 am

Me thinks that maybe you should quit yawning and take a look around. There is beauty in all the states. You can keep your high taxes and I'll keep my hills and sunshine where I can ride all year round.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:26 am

I want to thank each and every one of you for posting your personal experience and thoughts regarding my upcoming ride across Nevada and into Oregon and beyond. More to come I hope.

I'm considering postponing for a couple of weeks though due to road conditions in Oregon. Possibly, there will still be snow in some areas that we want to ride.

I find it kind of ironic (but appreciated) Ravyn that you include boring in your posts about crossing Nevada. Ironic in that my wife and I are of an age that “boring”, much of the time, “isn't” and is a good thing. We find that extended rides, thousands of miles, through the non boring twisties gets tiresome in a hurry when on an extended trip. Been there done that. I have been riding since 1973 and I used to feel the same as you. Priorities change as you get older. We like to take our time of late and smell “and see” the roses. In fact that is the reason for most of our rides now. Our beautiful country provides us with too much to see and do to pass through just to get to the next set of curves. With only 2 weeks for this trip, there won't be enough time to do and see all that we want as it is. And as I stated earlier we have been the southern and northern routes multiple times. Just looking for a different route this time and Rte 50 seems to fill that bill. Still haven't fully decided in a route through California and into Oregon. Thanks again!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1994 Yamaha TW200, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 pm

dingdong wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:26 am
I want to thank each and every one of you for posting your personal experience and thoughts regarding my upcoming ride across Nevada and into Oregon and beyond. More to come I hope.

I'm considering postponing for a couple of weeks though due to road conditions in Oregon. Possibly, there will still be snow in some areas that we want to ride.

I find it kind of ironic (but appreciated) Ravyn that you include boring in your posts about crossing Nevada. Ironic in that my wife and I are of an age that “boring”, much of the time, “isn't” and is a good thing. We find that extended rides, thousands of miles, through the non boring twisties gets tiresome in a hurry when on an extended trip. Been there done that. I have been riding since 1973 and I used to feel the same as you. Priorities change as you get older. We like to take our time of late and smell “and see” the roses. In fact that is the reason for most of our rides now. Our beautiful country provides us with too much to see and do to pass through just to get to the next set of curves. With only 2 weeks for this trip, there won't be enough time to do and see all that we want as it is. And as I stated earlier we have been the southern and northern routes multiple times. Just looking for a different route this time and Rte 50 seems to fill that bill. Still haven't fully decided in a route through California and into Oregon. Thanks again!
Well dingdong I don't know how old you are but I am 72. And I have been riding since 1962. I never tire of the twisties or the straighter roads.I was just saying that 50 through nevada is really flat and boring for the most part. I wont do it again. You asked and I responded as others did. We all have our likes and dislikes and I think you were just trying to find out what others thought. Not my cup of tea, i like a good mixture of things not endless miles of flat straight roads with cross winds that will blow you off the road. I hope you don't have those kind of conditions. The rest of the people that responded and disagree with me.... well, i really don't give damn what they think. that's just there opinion. !