Ontario to British Columbia - Second '85 LTD

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Re: Ontario to British Columbia - Second '85 LTD

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:54 pm

Bike is back to being operational. Starter came in today and is installed. Bike turns over nicely. While the bike was on vacation, took the liberty to install a rad fan indicator light and manual switch. Have this on the other bike and do like the indicator light and the ability to keep the fan on while in traffic or stop/go.

Another hiccup did come up. Went to get the transit permit from the MOT and was informed that since the bike was classified as "un-fit", I will have to have the bike safetied in Ontario. BC for all its foibles does not have a requirement to safety a motorcycle whether it is already in province or coming into province. BC only wants to view the bike to make sure it is not stolen. So, I have made arrangements for the bike to be safetied next Thursday. Don't expect there to be issues, there are a couple and I will point them out. Saving grace is that the bike will be leaving Ontario very soon.

In the meantime, maybe a couple little issue to be addressed like the slide pin on the TRAC units. If I do this I will remove the front forks, lie them on the bench so the fork oil is more in the upper half of the fork then work on the TRAC units. The front forks are supposed to have been upgraded with Progressive springs, but he track record for this work on this bike is not very good. I did look at the Progressive spring install PDF and the preload is only 1 inch and it should not be an issue to remove the fork caps. New oil wouldn't be a bad idea.

More to follow. Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:04 pm

A short update.

Been working on the bike for the last few days while waiting for shocks and TRAC parts. Have cleaned the rear and front rims, look good - the black paint that Honda used has stood up well. Have ordered driving lights, prepping the wiring and switch for install.

Installed the rad fan manual switch and indicator light. Fan comes on when the temp is in the 6 bar range, similar to my bike in Victoria.

Took the front forks off to get at the TRAC units. Drained oil and confirmed that there are progressive springs in the forks. New fluid tomorrow. Cleaned and did some Mother's aluminum polish on the forks - look good.

As I do these small jobs notice that there are a lot of loose bolts - won't be when I'm finished.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:26 pm

Good day today. Got the fork oil - could only get 10 weight, can always change when back home. Driving lights should be here Wednesday, just have to hook into the wiring - ready to go. Should be picking up the TRAC parts tomorrow, putting new rubber boots on the TRAC slide pin.

New progressive shocks from Fortnine installed, bike sits a bit higher and will not feel like a hard tail HD. Will need to install a pad on the bottom of the side stand like the one in Victoria.

Have one small staring issue. Will not start when the start button is pushed, but I hear what sounds like a relay clicking under the coils (in that area). After a few seconds it will engage the starter and everything is fine. No error codes. Not the starter solenoid, new one installed. Will be reading up on this. Must be something small, just have to find.

Interesting issue last night. Was installing the old air shocks to do a test and putting air in manually from a compressor. Was using a rubber mallet and knocking on the left shock upper mount and the starter kicked in and started to turn the engine over. Key off as well. Shocked me for a moment then I tapped the starter solenoid and the starter stopped. Interesting and got the blood pumping.

Bike is all together so test rides will be done over the next few days and then off to Toronto and Ottawa.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:10 pm

Took care of additional items.

Checked the starting system for any indication of mods or such - none. Still difficult to start when the neutral indicator is not showing. Will read more on this. Have thought about bypassing the clutch switch, but only as a last resort. Expect this would also affect the cruise as well. Will see if the clutch switch is adjustable - could be this simple.

I do get a neutral indication, but have to play with the shifter for upwards of 30 seconds. Once this is latched, starts very well. Small annoyance, but better than not having the engine start.

Checked the inlet cone strainer for the fuel pump. A small amount of crud, but not enough to starve the engine of fuel. Cleaned the cone strainer and put together.

Using Yamalube Ring Free in every other tank of fuel. 3 ounces is good for 20 litres. Don't know if it is doing anything, but can't hurt.

Checked the TPS calibration. At 0.479 VDC, on the high side but good, left alone. Replaced the PB sensors (MAP) vacuum hoses with new.

Rubber boots for the TRAC units came in and are now installed.

Have a feeling the right/left cylinder balance is off so this will be done before I head west. Did notice on my other '85 LTD that the engine temp was hotter when the right and left cylinder banks were not balanced.

Still have a scraping sound from the rear case. Hoping it goes away with more use.

Mentioned in my previous post that I had installed Progressive rear shocks. The rear wheel is on the ground now when on the centre stand. My brother made an offhand comment that I should be able to drive off the centre stand. I took this as intended, in good fun, but decided to try it. I now have a drive off centre stand. Bike is very easy to get on the centre stand.

Have done two rides in as many days. 350 Kms total. Have put almost 1000 Kms on the bike since I started here. Not issues with the engine or basic mechanical, just the starting system. Once I have this figured out, the trip west will be quite enjoyable.

Considering this bike has not seen the road since 2014, doing fairly well.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:20 am

Update required - in Toronto at the daughter and son-in-law's place for the weekend. Drove down from my brother's place yesterday. Weather was mixed, heavy mist when I left almost like rain, and turned into a lovely day as I got closer to Toronto.

Had an issue starting off. Bike was kicking like a good thing shortly after I left in the morning, returned to my brother's. Tweaked the cylinder bank balancing screw and idle adjustment a bit - know that you can throw the system out of wack if you do too much without gauges. Engine ran better. Found a couple of electrical issues, fixed as well. Got back on the road at around 1230 and issues seemed to go away, for a while that is. Heard some engine pinging as I drove south, just kept it in the back of my mind. The engine really kicks when nearing empty. 21 litre tank, took 20.8 litres on the next fill. Note to self - fill up when half tank indicated for now - need to rest and stretch anyway.

Not a lot of issues after this, but with regular gas still had a kick every now and then, and some minor pinging.

This morning did a small tweak to the balance and idle, then out to breakfast with the kids and their friends for a bike ride. Had an issue getting the key in the gas cover. Did get it open but once closed again, would not open. Fortunately the PO had a spare lock cylinder - who has one of these - glad he did. Mike, Toni and their friend took off and we agreed to meet in Fergus south of Toronto after I changed the lock.

The bike seems to like premium gas, ran well all the way up to 4500 RPM. Did a loop of some 300 Kms and only hiccup is at starting off and I attribute this to TPS calibration that will be done when I go back up north to my brother's for a bike oil change, and a good going over before I head west.

The engine ran well as I mentioned, but fuel economy is terrible. Again, I attribute this to the TPS calibration and cylinder bank adjustment, but will accept terrible fuel economy as long as the engine is running well. Gives me a good feeling all will be well heading west.

The ride went to Fegrus, Elora for a look at the Elora Gorge and lunch/dinner. Took the back roads back to Toronto, lovely scenery. Son-in-law has a 2104 Moto Guzzi California Touring and his friend has a 2006 Yamaha Roadstar 1700 cc. Good company, good weather and good food.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:29 am

Some trip pictures for your viewing pleasure. Have been coming up to the Larder Lake area since 1958. There has been a small cemetery on the road into Larder that I have always meant to stop at but never did. Have now. It was chartered in 1908 and there is only the Garnett family interned here. The province MOT wanted to move the cemetery to straighten out the road but the family said no.

Stopped in Temagami. Used to be a bustling rail stop and northern hub. It's now a stop on the highway and place for cottagers and hikers. This picture is the old rail station refurbished.

The Rock Pine restaurant and motel is about 30 miles north of North Bay and has become a favorite stop for my family and I to stop at when en route south. A defining landmark is the fish outside on the rock.

Took some pictures during the bike ride yesterday.

Not really a photo buff but giving it a go.

Enjoy. Cheers

Ernest

rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Post by rcgreg » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:38 am

Well one thing for sure, at the end of all this you will be known as the 85 Ltd Whisperer !

Ohara
Motorcycle: 1986 Interstate
1986 Aspencade

Post by Ohara » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:19 am

Did you find any cream pie on this trip? My bikes like premium fuel as well, perhaps it is the ethanol in the lower grades. Ride safe... :)

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:08 am

Trip Update - put some 2200 Kms on the bike this past week going to Toronto and Ottawa and back to my brother's place in Larder Lake. Found out a lot of things about the bike that I have addressed.

Had a good ride from Toronto to Long Sault, just south of Cornwall Ontario. 125 to 135 KPH all the way up the 401 - bike hiccuped a little starting out but ended the ride to Long Sault on a positive note. A short ride up to Ottawa in the afternoon. Nice 600ish Km ride. Few patches of rain en route - overcast all day, but as long as the GW is moving stay quite dry.

Have been thinking about the annoying sharp hesitation that occurs every now and then, and when it does happen is quite noticeable. Thought it might be the clutch slipping but if so, it is something that would not go away. I have been thinking that it is a fuel issue. The reason I am thinking this is that when I put fuel in and remove the gas cap, there should be an out rush of air. When I take the gas cap off, there is none of this as if it was fully vented, but I have read and been told that an out rush of air is normal to which I subscribe because my other '85 LTD does it regularly. I'm of the opinion that the fuel pump is just meeting the demand sometimes and not quite so at others, hence the sharp hesitation that I am feeling.

The pump on the bike at present is off my other bike and may be on the way out after some 34 years. Have also sourced a Spectra SP1186 at the local jobber where my brother lives - pay a premium to go this way but it would meet my timeline that is important at this time. There are other models and alternatives, but this one has the proper connection at the output that matches the OEM fuel pump discharge.

Here's a picture of my son-in-law and I at his place in Toronto:

He rides a thoroughbred Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400 cc. He takes me at the start but once going, I tend to keep up without punishing the GW too much.

Spent a couple of days in Ottawa visiting with my friend of 39 years who is a wreck and in the hospital. Got to Ottawa on the Monday afternoon, bike working as god as can be expected, quite well actually - 600 Km ride and kept the engine at 3900-4000 RPM, worked well.

Went out on Wednesday morning to leave for the north, started right up, loaded the bike for the last leg back to my brother's place - 650 Kms or so, blew the main fuse on the starter solenoid, had put a 20 amp fuse in, headlight popped, and I'm showing almost 15 VDC on the dash voltmeter - even went as high as 16 VDC and started to flash on the in dash voltmeter. Will be contemplating this on my way north. Strangest thing I've seen so far, and Friday - "D" day to the west coast is fast approaching.

The ride up to Larder Lake was good, nice day. Have a list of things to do on the bike before I leave.

Had a good work day yesterday. Cylinder banks balanced, idle set, TPS set at 0.475 VDC. Found some electrical issues, loose connectors. New fuel pump installed - had a look in the tank and there is a healthy return flow, better than before. Started it up and it is pretty good.

I also installed a 30 amp fuse in the wire going to the ignition switch considering what has transpired. In defense of doing this at this time is that there is no fuse in this circuit to protect it once the engine is started as designed by the OEM. Once the engine is started and the bike is running, the 30 amp fuse at the starter solenoid does not protect the electrical system because of how Honda has it wired, specifically the splice/bonding of the RR output wire(s) and the wire to the ignition switch.

Noticed a small drip out of the water pump weep hole - only just started. Can't do anything about it at this time, will monitor on the trip across. No indication of oil in the coolant tank.

Did an oil change and there appears to be no oil consumption, took out approximately 3 1/2 quarts plus the bit in the filter. Happy with this.

Had mentioned that the alternator was putting out over 15 VDC even got to 16 VDC and had the in dash voltmeter flashing away. The main fuse on the starter solenoid went and blew the headlight and the fuse for it - new headlight installed. In hindsight, noticed a couple of weeks back that the alternator was not coming on line as fast as when first installed. Now this. Have a new one coming on warranty.

Did go for a ride before I took the faulty alternator off. No engine hesitation or those sharp hesitations that I was experiencing. Good fuel supply is always a good thing.

Have started to load the bike for the trip, should be ready to go by 1100 tomorrow. Alternator should be in by 0900/0930 - doesn't take long to install or button up the fairing.

Looking forward to getting on the road. June's a good month to do a distance trip, lots of daylight.

Went in to get a second trip permit and noticed the Kms on the safety I had to get. Put some 2200 Kms on the bike the last week. Gives me a good sense that the bike will be a good ride west.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:14 am

"D" for departure day has arrived. Going to try and be a photo bug during my trip, not my forte but I will try. Bad habit of getting into a rhythm on the road and not stopping except for food and gas. I am finding this bike seat not too bad for comfort. The fellow who put a new cover on the seat and passenger backrest added extra foam as well.

The highway pegs:

are quite comfortable, much better than the foot board type I have on the other bike.

Beautiful morning here in the north. Lovely sunrise, not a cloud in the sky and no wind. Lake is calm and smooth - a bit of mist hovering over the water, just like glass.

Nice and cool northern morning as well. Good start to the journey.

As an aside, for Ohara, good pie in Greenwood on the southern route through BC.

rcgreg - think I'll drop down into your neck of the woods when I hit BC.

EasyBadger - how bout coffee in Cochrane?

Cheers

Ernest

Ohara
Motorcycle: 1986 Interstate
1986 Aspencade

Post by Ohara » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:40 am

Ride safe Ernest :D Thanks for sharing your adventure.

rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Post by rcgreg » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:55 am

Looks like you solved the fuel problem, I do get the air rush when the fuel cap is opened - so I'm sure your on the right track there.
Got some buds from Calgary coming out next week, going to Kalispell Montana on tuesday/Wed then up the East side of Kooteney Lake to Nelson and back Thursday from here in Creston
I don't know it that jives with your travel plans - but it would be awesome if it did for the Lake ride.
Nice to see the bike running so well and the care you have put into it
Ride safe and enjoy the scenery - you never know if you'll be able to make the same journey again.

73 Greg

grand rouge
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200L...... and an owned since new 83 Suzuki GS 1100E

Post by grand rouge » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:54 am

Ernest....Ride Safe.......and Enjoy. Great adventure ahead for sure.

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:23 am

Great day for second day on the road. Had a late start yesterday, got on the road at 1200 and into Nipigon at 2100, some 800 Kms - made up for lost time, roads are quite good, in great shape and not too much construction. Here in Ontario, the roads are either being plowed in the winter or fixed in the summer. Bike ran pretty good, still some hiccups but overall good.

Bike started this morning, always a good sign. It's like the Forest Gump movie where life is like a box of chocolates, never know what you will get. Had mentioned previously that there was a drip out of the water pump weep hole, but nothing this morning, hope it stays that way.

My brother had mentioned that I should contact the PO as he had told my brother he did not expect this bike to ever see the road again, think I will. With some perseverance anything is possible.

Gas in the north is expensive and if you need premium you may not get it. Stopped at a couple of gas bars and only regular gas. You must fill up in Hearst for the 210 Km ride to Long Lac because there is nothing and iI mean nothing in between. I rode for miles without even seeing another vehicle. Lots of cell dead zones, this is where a CB would come in handy.

Took some photos:

Morning departure:

Kapuskasing is a great little town noted for logging and pulp in the day. Here's the Hydro gen station:

Lots of towns have nice entrances. This is the one into Hearst:

This one for Beardmore:

Time to get going. Will post later.

Cheers

Ernest

grand rouge
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200L...... and an owned since new 83 Suzuki GS 1100E

Post by grand rouge » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:29 am

Ernest...........Oh man............what an adventure you are on. You are for sure........holding the pen........ Looking forward to 'following along' as you might allow. You have got a great head start on perhaps all of us re adventure and racking up the kilometers. Subscribed here.

Dallas

EasyBadger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 500 I (Silvy)
1985 GL 1200 Ltd (Goldy)
1985 GL 1200 Ltd (parts bike)

Post by EasyBadger » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi Ernest,

Do you know your route through Alberta now?

Safe ride,
Jens

gervais
Motorcycle: GoldWing 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by gervais » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:23 pm

Any radio-amateur here???from BC!

send him an APRS kit for fun!

a walkie-talkie with an Opentracker,small magnet gps and we ,all,be able to follow it!!!

gervais
ve2ckn

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:52 pm

Have two days to cover - yesterday was a busy one as was today.

Stayed in Nipigon and got on the road around 0730. Bike started and ran quite well. You can tell when these flat fours are peculating on all four cylinders. When one is off there is a bit of a flutter in the exhaust note. Doing these distance rides gives one time to really think about what is happening to their bike. I thought about the fuel system and how the fuel pressure regulator could affect the engine operation. Thought about the TPS as well. Fast forward a few miles and the engine started to stumble once more. Didn't get far before I decided to call it a day in Dryden. My plan was to look at the fuel system, take off the fuel pressure regulator and clean it. In doing this I found a vacuum hose that was split and barely on the fitting. Used some tube from the gauge set I have with me and some items from the local CDN Tire store. It did make a difference, not much and did not address the issue. Back to square one - need some more saddle time to contemplate my next move.

As for the ride, it was great. Long sweeping corners, and the scenery was quite nice. Day started off overcast and cool, but turned into a bit of a scorcher.

I remember back in the '80s when my parents were trying to make up their minds about living in Ontario or BC. Had moved them back to Ontario and was told by Father that this was their last move, it was June of '84. Fast forward to November and I get a phone call from Father asking me to meet them in Thunder bay and help with the drive west, so much for the last move. Flew into Thunder Bay with $10.00 in my pocket and they were 3 hours late. Thought of how I would get back to BC with the money I had. I did mention my displeasure to my Father. Good memories though.

I have some photos, trying to get some pictures for every day.

Morning at the hotel loomed very nice. Had morning coffee and a muffin at Tim's.

Can't go through Thunder Bay without stopping at the Terry Fox memorial:

From this lookout you get a nice view of the beginning of Thunder bay:

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:54 pm

Day 3 was a cool start. Was hoping it would stay this way but no joy in this respect. Turned into a 30 deg C day with a humidex of 35 deg C. Bike started well and I set off. Started to stumble fairly soon after leaving the hotel, so once on the highway up to around 4000 RPM and go. Ran fairly well at this speed. There were long sweeping corners and the roads are in great shape. Only had to slow down for one car on the route, a black and white of the OPP. Thought I'd stay in his rear until he decided to do something different.

Once again I had time to think about my next move to try and solve the issue of the engine stumble. The only item I had that I could change was the TPS, had a spare with me; however, I was not willing to stop and do the change too early in the day. Kept the bike operating in the 4000 RPM range where it wasn't too bad. Stopped just west of Winnipeg for coffee and pie. A the same time I browsed the net regarding TPS operation. Found a site that showed oscilloscope shots of a good and not so good TPS. The article mentioned that even thought the bad TPS did work, it was less than stellar. Took this information in, but decided to make the next leg to Brandon considering that going along at a good rate of speed was not too bad.

Got into Brandon Manitoba and almost moved on, but decided it was time to bite the bullet and change the TPS. Besides it was extremely hot and I was not in the mood for more heat.

Got me a ground floor room with an outside door and started work. Got the bike stripped down in 1/2 hour to TPS removal. Had to connect an OEM style connector to the new TPS, have the tools and connector with me to do this - doesn't everyone have these at the ready as well?

Installed the new TPS, calibrated it and the bike started - good sign. Put the bike back together and the total time spent was about two hours. Took longer to put it back together than to take it apart - running out of energy.

Took the bike out on the local side road at low speed and it worked well. Went on the highway for a 1 1/2 Km sprint and okay as well. Tomorrow will tell the tale. As an aside, if all is well I will report tomorrow night, and for Tony down under - you may have been right, but I am a contrarian so no I told you so.

Sonya, my other half in Victoria and pseudo route time/distance estimator has mentioned that I am 100 Km from the half way mark between larder Lake Ontario and the Tsawwassen ferry terminal outside Vancouver.

Have my cell phone linked to my Sena communicator and she phones me during the day - makes a good distraction. My brother phoned today. He thinks it's neat as well.

Mentioned I would have pictures daily. Didn't stop but did pass these two places of interest. the first is where the waters flow north instead of south and east:

This next is the longitudinal centre of Canada:

If all goes well with the bike tomorrow and it is behaving as a normal 1200 should, will get more driving pictures.

Enjoy. Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:59 pm

EasyBadger wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:24 pm
Hi Ernest,

Do you know your route through Alberta now?

Safe ride,
Jens
If all goes well with the bike tomorrow - in Brandon for the evening, will be in Calgary tomorrow late afternoon. Good highway speeds out here covers a lot of Kms quickly. Let me know your schedule for tomorrow or Tuesday. Saw your post re the new '85 LTD. Nice looking bike.

Cheers

Ernest

EasyBadger
1985 GL 1200 Ltd (Goldy)

Post by EasyBadger » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm pretty busy on Tuesday. Hopefully we can meet up on Monday evening somewhere or even at my home.

Safe rides,
Jens

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi Ernest :
You can leave these four requests till you get back but ..

I bet lots of us would want to know :

1) What spare parts are you carrying for such a long trip ? ( aside from a newer TPS and spark plugs )

2) What sort of extra tools are you packing ? ( that most of us might not carry )

3) What is your MPG ( or litres/100km ?) even given you've had fuel pump problems ....

4) Not counting the very extensive rebuilt in Ontario, but counting Motel/food/gas
What did your trip cost ? ( or $ $ per km if you'd prefer )

In any case ... Ride safe !!

I will wave at you in Cloverdale, on your way to the Tsawwassen ferry ...

SilverDave

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:02 pm

SilverDave wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:17 pm
Hi Ernest :
You can leave these four requests till you get back but ..

I bet lots of us would want to know :

1) What spare parts are you carrying for such a long trip? ( aside from a newer TPS and spark plugs )The only reason I had an extra TPS is I had taken it with me just in case the one fitted failed before I started my trip. The extra tools I have on hand are also because of the work done at my brother's place and I'm taking them back home. No extra spark plugs. Otherwise I would not have more than the OEM tool kit with some additions to remove the seat and lower fairings, and tools specific to my bike requirements. I do carry the tools required to remove the fairings, I use bolts that need a hex key or hex socket. I have found the OEM tool kit to be more than sufficient to do most work.

2) What sort of extra tools are you packing ? ( that most of us might not carry )Extra tools besides what is in the OEM tool kit should be specific to what you have done to your bike. You should be able to remove the seat, shelter and lower fairings. If you have the alt mod, removal of the alt is a requirement. You may also need a new belt. Keeping a list of what specifics you may need is good as well. A friend of mine told me that you do all the work/maintenance on your bike before you leave, then you have Visa - have a towing package as well. In our case you should be as self sufficient as possible because our bikes are 34 plus years old, and not too many Honda dealerships will do work on them. If you have a modified one such as I do, the alt mod is an example, dealerships will possibly shy away as well.

3) What is your MPG ( or litres/100km ?) even given you've had fuel pump problems .... Been averaging 15 to 16 Km per litre. Hoping that this new TPS will affect the fuel economy in the positive. The travel computer has been estimating that I have a range of approximately 340 Km before the TPS change. Would like it closer to 400 Km.

4) Not counting the very extensive rebuilt in Ontario, but counting Motel/food/gas
What did your trip cost ? ( or $ $ per km if you'd prefer )To estimate the fuel costs, because I use premium and regular - temperature dependent - of $20.00 per 200 Km. Trip distance approximately 5000 Km, so 25 fills at $20.00 say $500.00. Motels are dependent on where you are and what you are doing. At this time of year you can ride longer so I expect approximately $100.00 a night more or less so 5 days $500.00. For food I'm estimating a cost of about $30.00 per day because I do not like to eat a lot when I ride, makes me want to take a nap, and don't need a lot at my age.

In any case ... Ride safe !!

I will wave at you in Cloverdale, on your way to the Tsawwassen ferry ...

SilverDave
Dave - with these older bikes maintained, and mechanically sound, there is no reason not to jump on and go. New or older, you cannot do anything about the electrical/electronic components if these fail. With this bike, I would carry an extra alt belt, a second TPS, tools specific to these requirements such as a multimeter and for alternator removal. Have Visa and BCAA as well. Cheers

Ernest

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:30 am

So that 15 to 16 converts to 38 to 39 mpg ... Pretty good for an old machine !! I guess those are mostly highway miles ...

I carry the standard tools and in addition a nice comfortable flexi-shaft spark plug wrench (I had a hydro lock about 6 years ago) as well as 17 and 23 mm sockets for oil changes . And a long screwdriver for idle setting .

But I agree ... my most valuable tool, after the GRWWA tow plan is definitely my platinum Visa card ..

It packs small, and does amazing things !! LOL

Ride safe today !!

SilverDave

EasyBadger
1985 GL 1200 Ltd (Goldy)

Post by EasyBadger » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 am

Hello Ernest,

Even it didn´t work out for a meeting yesterday, at least the weather is better today. The forecast says "Tuesday: Partly cloudy, wind West 30g50 km/h, high 21" and no rain.

Have a safe ride through Alberta,
Jens