Weekend trip

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Weekend trip

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:56 am

Got back from a weekend trip to Hocking Hills with my wife yesterday. We went down Saturday morning, me on the Goldwing, her on her 250 Yamaha. We hit some fair size rainstorms on the way down, we just rode through them - I got a bit wet behind the big fairing, she got absolutely drenched (both of us wearing mesh jackets and pants, because it was 95+ degrees out). It actually felt nice, until it got hot and dried out again.

Some of the back roads we took to our cabin had deteriorated quite badly since we were there last - what was once asphalt has become gravel and dirt, with occasional patches of asphalt here and there. Not being graded, and with all the rain, it was full of potholes - so think unkept, muddy, water-filled potholes surrounded by gravel and asphalt bits. Some of the worst roads I've ever seen. The 1/2 mile driveway back to the cabin was gravel and mud with occasional small "ponds" to cross. The Goldwing was a bit wiggly through it, but no problems. My wife has NEVER ridden off asphalt before, or in the rain for that matter, and she came through it amazingly well considering she's been riding for only three months. Some very technically challenging roads, and she did just great.

Riding through the roads around Hocking Hills, with lots of blind curves and switchbacks, I took the lead, and went a bit slower than I normally would, and she followed my lines. I think it was good practice for her, and she said she felt much more capable and confident at the end of the weekend.

We've got a couple filthy bikes now that are in need of cleaning, that's for sure!

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: Weekend trip

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:20 pm

Riding on gravel roads is very dangerous on a motorcycle, your wife just got her some great experience, riding thru a storm is also great fun, again more experience, I hope your brother-in-law is doing better... Nice trunk on the rear of her bike, it looks like she can really hold some stuff in there.. I gotta say, I'm sure that myself and most if not all others here are very proud of her, she's done well.. I can only imagine how you must feel.. Nice cabin, what a great get away... :D

BirdJayne
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing

Postby BirdJayne » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:08 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Riding through the roads around Hocking Hills, with lots of blind curves and switchbacks, I took the lead, and went a bit slower than I normally would, and she followed my lines. I think it was good practice for her, and she said she felt much more capable and confident at the end of the weekend.

We've got a couple filthy bikes now that are in need of cleaning, that's for sure!

Glad that all went well in spite of the rain....
Now I'm wishing I still had my 250 Suzuki....

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:53 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Riding on gravel roads is very dangerous on a motorcycle, your wife just got her some great experience, riding thru a storm is also great fun, again more experience, I hope your brother-in-law is doing better... Nice trunk on the rear of her bike, it looks like she can really hold some stuff in there.. I gotta say, I'm sure that myself and most if not all others here are very proud of her, she's done well.. I can only imagine how you must feel.. Nice cabin, what a great get away... :D

B-I-L is doing much better, he came out with us on a dinner cruise last Friday night, so he's up and around, although still quite stiff.

My wife was complaining that she could never carry anything on her bike, so I sourced that trunk on eBay - I found it for $130, and it bolts on fairly quickly to any rack.

eBay trunk
eBay trunk

We've stayed in one of those Getaway Cabins three times now, they're wonderful, clean and remote. All three times on motorcycle.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:53 pm

BirdJayne wrote:Glad that all went well in spite of the rain....

I don't know...that little 250 feels like a tiny bicycle to me...

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun,wish me and the better half could get away,but Were going to wait until it cools down just to dam hot. Have you found her new bike yet? haha . Glad you guys had fun!! I have been looking at a couple of bikes up by you. Maybe Ill get up that way some day and we can meet up. Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

BirdJayne
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing

Postby BirdJayne » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:14 am

WingAdmin wrote:
BirdJayne wrote:Glad that all went well in spite of the rain....

I don't know...that little 250 feels like a tiny bicycle to me...

For me it was perfect....If I dumped it, I had no problem picking it up....LOL

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:17 pm

Your one happy guy ...And I'm happy for you... :) :)
Nice pictures too.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”