Not a Winger right now, be back soon!

Brothers and Sisters to our Goldwings - Other Bikes we Own
  • Sponsored Links
pgfireman
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800 Navi,(SOLD) 2012 Triumph Tiger EXP

Not a Winger right now, be back soon!

Post by pgfireman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:08 pm

Hey everyone, I had my GL 1800 for a year or so and put a little over 50,000 kilometres on her during that wonderful time.[/img] I sold the beauty to a caring individual who lost his Wing to a rear end hit he took from a cager destroying his bike and wasting a year of his life getting well again. I live in an incredible part of eastern Ontario (Kingston) where we have access to all kinds of great riding - several of the best roads in for riding in Ontario are in our back yard. Northern New York is 20 minutes away and two more hours to the Adirondacks and all the glorious byways to be found there. Just aways to the east and north is Gatineau and the Laurentians in Quebec which hide probably the best collection of twisties north of the Smokies. SO, i hear you say, "Why did you sell Pete? " Well, glad you asked. Many of the destinations I hit when riding are less than perfect asphalt, some areas have a bunch of fantastic dirt roads to follow to even more exciting destinations. I bought a Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200. I'm a transplanted Limey and the first bike I rode in the UK was a Tiger Cub so it seems fitting. Ups and Downs, Pros and Cons.

I miss the incredible comfort of my Lazy Boy seat and backrest. Sometimes I miss the radio or the CB - but not as much as I thought. I would miss this forum (but don't, because I always check in) If i can just say, this is the best forum for motorcycles I have found. Period. Wing Admin - kudos to you, you do a fantastic job and have incredible timely advice for your members , members - kudos to you, also great advice and opinions. More than that even though you are riding an exceptional machine there's always room for the "other guys" , that's me right now. I took my Tiger to TN last September, averaged 750 kilometres a day: thank you Triumph for cruise control, for the sweetest triple engine ever made (my brother in law calls my bike "The Nuke" as he thinks that's what's under the tank). This summer I am off the Radisson Quebec on the Hudson Bay following the hydro Quebec road to the most northern road in eastern Canada. This has been done by a "Winger, but I will be happy to have an ADV bike for the trip.
So, see you soon, I am sure there's another Wing out there for me, hey HONDA, maybe even a new model???
Attachments

2wheelscram
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda PC 800

Re: Not a Winger right now, be back soon!

Post by 2wheelscram » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks for that post. I'd like to hear more of your comparison of GW & ADV riding!

Why not combine the two?! Goldwing Scrambler...

pgfireman
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800 Navi,(SOLD) 2012 Triumph Tiger EXP

Re: Not a Winger right now, be back soon!

Post by pgfireman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Wow! Love it! reminds me of a 'Bonnie scrambler a friend of mine had a hundred years ago. When I was on the edge of changing bikes I bought a 650 V Strom to do the rougher roads with. It is expensive to insure two bikes in Ontario so I knew it wouldn't be too long lived. The wee strom gave me thrills with its manoeuvrability and it's willingness to be thrown into corners and wrung out on the straights. At times I just felt it was "easier" than mounting the big steed. I love the fact that the Triumph does both things really well - touring and agility. There are others of course that can do this, the BMW GS is obvious, I also looked at the Yamaha Super Tenere, great bike!. My "have to haves" were cruise control, good luggage capability, enough cc's to do a day long every day for a week . The Triumph does all of them, the most scary point is the smaller dealer network. I have a great local guy who can do everything i need, but I'm not always here!

The Tiger has such as sweet sounding and incredible pulling engine 6 gears (with a gear indicator) are nice. Just the roar it puts out is a thrill itself. I loved riding the wing in the twisties, the bike rides like it shouldn't for its size and weight, but the Tiger is just so nimble with a greater lean angle. The acceleration is out of this world (Gixxer like) . I have traction control which I cannot say enough about; my 07 1800 didn't. ABS and linked brakes are on both - love them too. There's a pleasure to be felt in a longer suspension travel even when on some crappy tarmac - i felt some awful wallops on the big girl. Long days in the saddle are tougher on the Triumph, I'm not 25 any more (58) and 6 - 8 hours hurts more on this bike than the Goldwing, but it's do-able. I'm not sitting behind the screen door anymore so I feel the weather a bit more, I ride until it's about 4 centigrade with heated gear so this ride is a bit more chilly. I feel I have a few more options for travel with this bike and I always stay away from highways when I can so I don't miss what the Goldwing does best of all. Two more things, the toughest to talk about:
1) My wife is a reluctant rider, she was happy on the Wing for about 4 hours with stops. The Triumph, not so much. She says it is really quite comfortable BUT of course she has been spoiled forever! 2) OMG I don't believe i'm going to say this.........
The Triumph is just so much more "motorbikey!" Just look at the image you sent me of the scrambler wing. It's a bike!