Harbor Freight Tag-Along Trailer

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
celford30
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: Harbor Freight Tag-Along Trailer

Post by celford30 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:34 pm

Great job on the photos, many of the modifications I made when I purchase my Tag along. However did not consider lowering it. Did you install larger tires if so I can assume no conflict with the lowering.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Post by Dusty Boots » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:36 am

No, I kept/used the stock 8" tires.

When you flip the axle to above the springs, you effectively lower the trailer frame by ~ 5" and although there is still plenty of clearance between the axle and the frame for suspension travel, when the frame is lowered the ~ 5", so are the fender mounting brackets.
If you still wanted to lower the trailer's COG by mounting the axle on top of the springs, then you would need to cut off those fender mounting brackets and fabricate some new ones, keeping in mind that the cargo shell is a pretty close fit to the fenders already when everything is mounted as per the instructions, so you would have to have those brackets angle up and away from the frame in order to fit the fenders with adequate clearance above the tires, yet clear the shell.

The 1st shot shows how the axle is supposed to be mounted (below the springs) as per the instructions. The 2nd one below shows the axle mounted on top of the springs.
Note that the axle mounting blocks are about 1 1/2" - 2" tall.

This next shot shows the trailer with the axle mounted on top of the springs, with the fender resting on the top of the tire, because the fender mounting brackets/points are a good 1 1/2" - 2" too low to mount them!

This is a shot with the axle mounted as per instructions, on the bottom of the leaf springs. Note the clearance between the top of the tire and the fender!

In short, yes, you could lower the trailer's COG by mounting the axle on top of the leaf springs, but you would need some welding equipment and fabricating skills in order to get the fenders to mount with sufficient clearance for both the tires and the cargo shell.
Seeing as this was just a favour for the gal in my riding group, I kept it as simple as possible to keep her costs and my time/labour down to a minimum!

Dusty

celford30
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by celford30 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks Bro
Your swift response is appreciated. I like the idea of lowering the shell but I installed 12 in wheels plus a spare. Just don't feel like making any more changes or challenges.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (122k)

Post by PastoT » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:59 pm

I've drug my HF Tag-Along nearly 20k miles and for the first 17K I ran the original 8" tires and stock bearings, they held up great at 36psi. You really should re-grease the original bearings but you might need tools to extract them. The only reason I changed tires and bearings is I ran fully loaded across a patch of puncture vine weeds and received about 10 holes in each tire! The bearings were fine but one bearing seal got damaged and let water into a bearing, it rusted and burnt out. Note the grease zirt is terrible, it places a big glob of grease right between the bearings that won't ever touch the bearings unless you fill the hub entirely! I replaced the tires with 6 ply tires and the bearings with Timkens that by the way looked exactly like the stock ones. Many complain about the bearings that come with the trailer but I have no complaints. As for CG, I've run well into the 90s with 400lbs inside and not issues in the mountains, I've also weighted the trailer in at right near 600lbs and didn't have any issues behind my 1800. The stock lights were recalled recently and the replacements are the HF LED package many of us buy to start with. Also you can drop tongue weight a bit if you bolt the spare tire mount on the rear of the frame, that leaves room for a cooler rack also. Adding a tongue support adds a lot of convenience as well. I also added super right LED strips to the back of the frame, Amber for running lights and Red for brake/turn signals. Some users mount the bottom shell to the frame with eye bolts so they can bungee the contents in place, I in turn lined the floor with the rubber floor cushions that HF sells. If I need to work on the trailer or bike these form rubber mats keep you off the ground (hot or cold) and gravel, and make a good ground insulation for a sleeping bag. A small strip of thin steel sheet adhered to the inside of the top shell works great to attach a magnetic LED light.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

saddle tramp
Motorcycle: 1994 gl1500, custom built from ground up, looks like prototype for the F6B

Post by saddle tramp » Tue May 02, 2017 12:12 am

The harbor freight trailer is almost identical to the trailer I've been using for several years now. It's a piggy backer , bought from the manufacturer I believe in South Carolina. Have about 140,000 miles on it. Starting to need some repairs, but I guess thats to be expected with that much use. Have used it to haul tools , camping gear, what ever needed to be moved. Piggy backer ships about everywhere, might be worth looking into.

823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Post by 823JIM » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:24 pm

My Harbor Freight trailer

it has 2 TSC pick-up tool boxes and aluminum dia. plate streamlining around cooler holder.

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
Jim King

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (122k)

Post by PastoT » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:01 am

Coincidentally today I went to the harbor Freight website today to find out what the shipping weight of the tag-along trailer was and I could not find it listed for sale anymore. My trailer is in great shape but had other reasons to look for it and it wasn't offered. I hope its a temporary thing or site glitch, too many can use it as an entry level small trailer that works great. Last Saturday I stopped in a second hand shop and out front I found the entire tag-along shell complete with steel straps and operating lid pistons (I'm going stupid for a moment); got the whole thing for $37 for a car topper for my girl friends RAV or our Time Out camper. Heck of a deal in my book.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

SIDECARRICH
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE with CSC FSIII hack Riding on the Dbl Darkside and Lovin it!

Post by SIDECARRICH » Sat May 05, 2018 10:21 am

I used a lot of your ideas when putting ours together, changed out the wheels to 480-8 replaced all lights with led's, added 4 eye bolts to base of box after putting indoor outdoor carpet, new USA bearings and the wife loves it...
Attachments

SIDECAR RICH

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Sun May 06, 2018 8:25 am

Looks great. Ah yes, the wife. The only reason I pull a trailer is for her stuff. lol
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

SIDECARRICH
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE with CSC FSIII hack Riding on the Dbl Darkside and Lovin it!

Post by SIDECARRICH » Sun May 06, 2018 9:11 am

Oh yes, we call the sidecar her shopping cart and the trailer her shoe wagon...lol..peeps ask if she sits in the hack, I nicely tell them she has too much crap in there..I do like the extra set of eyes behind me, helps watch the potholes and buttholes talking on their cell phones! Safe travels Ding Dong!

SIDECAR RICH