Tent Repair

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Tent Repair

Post by echinus1988 » Mon May 29, 2017 6:55 am

I have my 1998 Bunkhouse Camper Trailer and I have a tear in the tent. It wasn't there when I bought it so I must have folded something wrong and caused a tear.

It's 400 denier Nylon Oxford fabric unless they have changed it from then to now. Any ideas how to make a permanent repair on this type fabric?

I have looked and I did email Bunkhouse to see if they can tell me. I'm figuring it will be a combination of sewing and "glue" to make a solid repair.

I'm of course open to any suggestions or what someone used in the past.

Thanks.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Re: Tent Repair

Post by Dusty Boots » Mon May 29, 2017 1:33 pm

Here's how I would tackle it.

Follow the directions below and in the photo below, using some good polyester thread! (Polyester doesn't absorb water)
Make a couple of passes with the thread bartacking the ends of the rip/tear to help prevent it from getting any larger. Then do a zig-zag stitch across that, to further reinforce it.
Then add a stitch down and back a couple of mm from and parallel to the rip/tear and a little past both ends on both sides of the rip/tear. Next you stitch across the rip/tear from the outside of the parallel stitch to the outside of the other parallel stitch. Snug the thread up a bit, but not too tight! You don't want the material 'puckering' very much!!
Then add another set of parallel stitches a few mm away from the 1st set and repeat process.
When you are satisfied with the results, coat the repair area/thread with a coating of McNault Seam Grip/Gear Aid, using an acid swab/solder brush (if the package didn't come with one) and spread it around covering all the stitching and rip/tear. Not too heavy a coating!!
Be very careful you don't get this stuff on your hands as it is very sticky and you'll spread to areas you don't want it!!!
Once you have it all covered and a few mm past all the stitching, let it cure for 3 - 4 hrs. Then apply a very light dusting of talc/baby powder over the repair area and brush off. This will prevent any 'tack' from the seam grip and prevent it from sticking to other parts of the tent material when folded up.
If you have access to the underside of the rip/tear, give that area a light coating of seam grip as well and let set up/dust as well!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Mon May 29, 2017 6:32 pm

Dusty Boots, you are an amazing fella. This is exactly how my canvas and tent maker told me, several years ago, and the Seam Seal was a truly integral part of the repair. Seam Seal is also great for waterproofing the seams of synthetic fabric tents if they need redoing. Now just to add to this, if your tent is not nylon, but is canvas or sunbrella material, a product called HH 66 from a company called RH would be used instead of the Seam Seal. Seam Seal comes in a tube most times, sometimes with a brush cap, and HH 66 comes in a can like contact cement, with a brush attached on the inside of the cap. I would not be without either of these products.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Tue May 30, 2017 4:35 am

Wow!

I was thinking of sewing it but wasn't sure how but now I know how to do it. It looks like it would be a great repair and hold very well.

I'll look for the polyester thread that matches my tent as close as possible and then the sealer. The baby powder is a nice touch. I think that will do it. Where it is will need that extra reinforcement.

Thank you for the help!!!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.