All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2018+)
  • Sponsored Links
Eboness
Motorcycle: 2013 GL1800 Airbag Red of course.

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by Eboness » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:31 am

Hi Ray, in my experience of trailering a Gold Wing both Honda and the GWRRA Gold Book do not recommend tying down a Gold Wing using the crash bars, and I would think the 2018 Gold Wing would be no different. In 2016 my wife and I traveled to Newfoundland by ferry twice, once for 6 hours the other for 16 hours and once aboard either ferry we had to tie down our wing. Because I researched this trip I prepared by buying tie down straps from eBay. Theses straps were good to 12000 lbs. each and I would mount them to my upper forks and to my frame behind the side covers. This was the best way to connect the ferry company's provided ratchet straps and on the 16 hour ferry ride we went through a northwest gale with 12 to 15 foot waves. In the morning on arrival at North Sydney, Nova Scotia the wing was still safe and tight to the deck. Even thought this story is not about trailering a Gold Wing I use the same method to tie down my 2013 Gold Wing when I do trailer it. BTW please understand I'm not suggesting you don't know how to tie down a wing on a trailer, just passing on my experiences.
Ride safe.

Former 3PPCLI Canadian Armed Forces Member 1975-1982

Ray&Paula
Motorcycle: 2004 Honda GL1800 Lehman Trike

Post by Ray&Paula » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks for the reply....... You are 100% right. I wouldn't tie down by just the use of crash/lay down bars. I meant that this is the only points I see for added stability for movement. These points would be two low to stable the bike alone. I'm just curious where good tie down points would be for this new wing, especially with the new front end. There will be enough buyers out there soon that could shed some light on what they did along with how well it worked. Thanks for the input. Ray :)

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:22 pm

What does Mother Honda recommend as the proper tie-down procedure? Surely they have a corporate position on this?
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Ray&Paula

Post by Ray&Paula » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:31 pm

Good question ........ I heard there's nothing in the manual.

Alan_Hepburn

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:54 pm

So, I asked the question "What does Honda recommend for tying down the bike on a trailer?" and decided it might be a good idea to contact Honda. Went to their website and found the "Contact Us" area and asked the question yesterday. Today I received a phone call from someone at Honda, who wanted to know if I had a new Goldwing, and whether the question was specific, or just for general knowledge. I told him that since the bike is being delivered to owners now that the question of tiedowns has come up and I was simply curious about the "official" procedure. He responded that the only information he had was that the manual stated, on page 219, that the correct procedure for towing on a trailer was to use a ramp to get the bike onto the trailer, and use tiedowns to secure it. Under no circumstances should it be towed with one or both tires in contact with the road.

I then followed up the question with "So is there an official procedure on where the tiedowns should be placed?" and he put me on hold to go ask around - came back a few minutes later and said that nobody had any idea on where to secure the tiedowns, and could not say if using the traditional method of using the triple tree would damage the new suspension. He suggested asking local dealer.

So, there you have it: Honda's official position is detailed on page 219 of the Owner's Manual, and they have no position above that!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:52 pm

I guess you will just have to ride it home... oh darn.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Ray&Paula

Post by Ray&Paula » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Well there you go........ Thank You Honda for the GREAT advice. In other words, figure it out yourself. It looks like this remains to be an ongoing question.

Alan_Hepburn

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:09 pm

They'll publish an "official" procedure after the warranty claims start piling up when owners do it wrong...

sknell
Motorcycle: GL1800 de luxe

Post by sknell » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:26 pm

One observation that I haven’t seen here so far is the fact that the pillion passenger no longer has any handles to grip onto! There is a pathetic ridge on each side under the seat masquerading as grip handles, but you would need arms like an Orang Utan to be able to use both sides at the same time. I haven’t heard of any aftermarket handles yet!! It’s a showstopper for my wife and me. Such a disappointment. The “armrests” also prevents your arms from going straight down (the shortest distance to the “handles”), but my dealer was confident they could be removed. Did any of the designers actually sit on the (less padded) pillion seat, I wonder? So close, and yet so far....

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:21 pm

sknell wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:26 pm
One observation that I haven’t seen here so far is the fact that the pillion passenger no longer has any handles to grip onto! There is a pathetic ridge on each side under the seat masquerading as grip handles, but you would need arms like an Orang Utan to be able to use both sides at the same time. I haven’t heard of any aftermarket handles yet!! It’s a showstopper for my wife and me. Such a disappointment. The “armrests” also prevents your arms from going straight down (the shortest distance to the “handles”), but my dealer was confident they could be removed. Did any of the designers actually sit on the (less padded) pillion seat, I wonder? So close, and yet so far....
I actually mentioned this in my review on the bike from the Cleveland Motorcycle Show. I heard many people with exactly this complaint. It is such an obvious fail on Honda's part, where they made a decision on style and form over function. Either Honda will resolve it on the next model year, or (more likely) aftermarket manufacturers will be scrambling to build reasonable replacements.

joe1200
Motorcycle: 1996 gl1500se

Post by joe1200 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:20 am

Who is the bike GL1800-2018) for ?
Honda stated:
For those who avoid Goldwings because it is an old man's bike
Current Goldwing owners
Former owners who have strayed to what they perceived as newer, better options.

A Honda engineer stated, we wanted to appeal to younger riders and make it sportier.

The new bike is so different that Honda considered giving it a different name other than Goldwing.

WELL, firts off, I think that Honda missed the target...here is why.
- The Goldwing's is the admiral ship of Honda, with proven comfort and dependability, with lot's of storage.
- The actual owners are owners for those reasons. Otherwise they choose something else that is more appropriate to their style of riding and needs.
- It will never be a sportier bike. Have you ever seen a 900 lbs sportbike ? It defies the rules of physics.
- If you want more power and better handling, go with the BMW K1600GT.
- I believe current owners wanted a better front suspension, an electric windshield, possibly the DCT and a lighter bike. That's it !
- I own a 1500 for trips two up, and a BMW R1200RT for myself. It is my third wing and my fourth BMW. Each is excellent at what it was designed for.
- Goldwings are known as the Roll's Royce of motorcycle, why try to make it a sporty Continental ?
- Appeal more to younger riders, I do not think so.
- Honda themselves say that it is so different. Why didn't do a different bike that would serve those interest ?
- Here is what I have saying since they switched to a 1500 in 1988:
If BMW can get 116hp out of a 1200 boxer, why can't Honda.
Make a lighter machine...
fix the suspension
Removeable saddlebags
Some people do not want a cb, radio, gps, heated seats, or oversized luggage.

When they decide to make a 1200 that weight +/- 650 lbs, I'm a buyer.

Whoever agrees, make it known. May be Honda will listen.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:21 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:21 pm
sknell wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:26 pm
I actually mentioned this in my review on the bike from the Cleveland Motorcycle Show. I heard many people with exactly this complaint. It is such an obvious fail on Honda's part, where they made a decision on style and form over function. Either Honda will resolve it on the next model year, or (more likely) aftermarket manufacturers will be scrambling to build reasonable replacements.
Read that Texas now has included in its MV act that passenger hand grips are mandatory on all motorcycles. Possibility that the intended hand grips for the passenger on the new 1800 could create some controversy.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Ray&Paula

Post by Ray&Paula » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:15 pm

joe1200 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:20 am
Who is the bike GL1800-2018) for ?
Honda stated:
For those who avoid Goldwings because it is an old man's bike
Current Goldwing owners
Former owners who have strayed to what they perceived as newer, better options.

A Honda engineer stated, we wanted to appeal to younger riders and make it sportier.

The new bike is so different that Honda considered giving it a different name other than Goldwing.

WELL, firts off, I think that Honda missed the target...here is why.
- The Goldwing's is the admiral ship of Honda, with proven comfort and dependability, with lot's of storage.
- The actual owners are owners for those reasons. Otherwise they choose something else that is more appropriate to their style of riding and needs.
- It will never be a sportier bike. Have you ever seen a 900 lbs sportbike ? It defies the rules of physics.
- If you want more power and better handling, go with the BMW K1600GT.
- I believe current owners wanted a better front suspension, an electric windshield, possibly the DCT and a lighter bike. That's it !
- I own a 1500 for trips two up, and a BMW R1200RT for myself. It is my third wing and my fourth BMW. Each is excellent at what it was designed for.
- Goldwings are known as the Roll's Royce of motorcycle, why try to make it a sporty Continental ?
- Appeal more to younger riders, I do not think so.
- Honda themselves say that it is so different. Why didn't do a different bike that would serve those interest ?
- Here is what I have saying since they switched to a 1500 in 1988:
If BMW can get 116hp out of a 1200 boxer, why can't Honda.
Make a lighter machine...
fix the suspension
Removeable saddlebags
Some people do not want a cb, radio, gps, heated seats, or oversized luggage.

When they decide to make a 1200 that weight +/- 650 lbs, I'm a buyer.

Whoever agrees, make it known. May be Honda will listen.
I totally agree!! :D

MikeinOC
Motorcycle: 2018 Goldwing Tour and 2010 Golwing

Post by MikeinOC » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:37 pm

DCBiker wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:35 pm
Does anyone else feel Disappointed? The gas tank is a gallon less, it has only 2/3 the luggage space, and the test ride said the passenger had more wind buffeting. I bought my wing instead of a BMW to get better luggage space, range, and comfort. Honda is now giving me a K12RT with a much better warranty. The technology is fantastic, and I have to give up so much to get it.

May we ride well and often,

Rick
I am a little disappointed with a few things about my new bike but, the smaller fuel tank makes no difference because of improved mpg.

MikeinOC

Post by MikeinOC » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:51 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:04 pm
thboyd29 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:01 pm
Big Red Bertha wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:12 pm
I still use the helmets with wired connection to the audio system. Will I be able to use my non-bluetooth communication system? Can you pre-route the navigation system on your home computer and transfer route to the system. Can you program navigation will moving?
My local dealer is saying that he thinks it's BT only. Which leads to one of my questions: Did someone figure out how to make BT work with CB transmissions? I haven't followed it very closely, but all of the BT implementations I've seen still required a wired mic for CB use - probably because all the BT stuff was done ahead of the audio system via dongles, and you didn't use the intercom, as the headsets paired with each other. I wouldn't be surprised if the intercom function was eliminated entirely, for that reason.
You can do intercom over Bluetooth, as there are many Bluetooth-based intercom products already on the market.

The fact that a CB requires a long antenna (because of its long wavelength) in order to efficiently transmit and receive, and there appears to be NO antennae of any kind on the new bike, leads me to believe that CB does not exist on the new Gold Wing. I see no evidence of CB controls or display either.
As far as the CB goes, IT IS STILL AVAILABLE. You have to buy 3 things that for some reason are all sold separately. CB, CB switch, and CB antenna. After instillation, you've spent nearly $2000.00. I have not been able to test it yet but I am told that it works just fine with the bluetooth headset.
Intercom has been eliminated due to the fact that most headsets are made for just that purpose. I'm GUESSING that I won't be able to have intercom function open while listening to the radio and using CB. When time permits, this will be tested and I will post more.

MikeinOC

Post by MikeinOC » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:01 pm

phochief wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:17 pm
Is the touchscreen usable when the bike is in motion? Can I select a POI (gas station, restaurant, etc) on the GPS while riding?
The screen is NOT a touchscreen. It is controlled by a "joystick" button in center console or buttons on the left handlebar. I am still learning about it but have found Navigation use is limited while riding. Apple Car Play allows voice activation of phone apps if you have an I-phone though. One improvement to the Nav system is that it AUTOMATICALLY boots up when you start the bike. A downer is that you can't enter a destination by name to look up for you. IE; Dennys. It only gives you the option for "restaurants" then you have to scroll down through every one on the list that is closest to you till you find it.

KnoxSwift
Motorcycle: gl1200A

Post by KnoxSwift » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:58 pm

89 1500 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:39 pm
I'm gonna be screwed when I have to retire my old 1500. The 2018 isn't for me. There's some slick tech that I would love but not for the sacrifices that I would have to make. I don't want a sport tourer if I did I'd be on a Kawasaki Concourse 1400. The 2018 wouldn't be able to handle my travel load without strapping crap down on the tupperware. Too bad Victory went to the wayside in favor of Indian the Cross Country Tour had a lot of what I was looking for in a replacement for my old girl. I guess I will keep looking for a used 18 and see what's next from the other manufacturers. Still going to go ride the thing when the dealership gets one in but purchase is out.

Kawi C14 owner here trolling to see if I want to move to the new 2018 GW. I like this thread of all the current owners comparisons. Before my C14 I had a 86' GL1200 and loved that bike put 100K+ on it but when it came time, I moved to the C14 for more sport. Well that was 5 years ago, if the GW is really more sport I might consider moving back. I'm reading up as I have a demo ride scheduled at a local dealer....

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:40 pm

IMO,

all factory NAV systems are junk, no matter what vehicle you find them in.

...lack of being able to update them,

...lack of usable menus to search for what you want,

...lack of being able to change it "on the go" ( I ride shotgun a lot, and I am constantly using the GPS to look around for stuff ..... you can't do that with a factory NAV, no matter what seat you ride in ).

For "instantaneous right now guidance", nothing beats a Smartphone.

I hit one button, speak into the phone "Take me Home"

in a few seconds, a voice comes back and tells me what street directions I need to get to go Home..... I use this feature more than anything else, when driving a car..... on the bike? nope, I stop and enter a new destination.

I am constantly getting navigationally confused in new towns since that 18 wheeler clobbered my noggin.....
~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:13 am

Well stated AZ. I don't understand why manufacturers insist on using what appears to be proprietary systems.

Hope your health continues to improve.

Ron in AZ
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

KnoxSwift
Motorcycle: gl1200A

Post by KnoxSwift » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:28 am

Back from my demo ride.

Background on my comments, been riding 31 years. Have had many bikes but had 86 GL1200 for many years well over 100K before I sold it in 2013. I didn't go back to Goldwing because they were dated and not sporty enough. I moved on to the C14.
I've been waiting for this update for 5 years, begging Honda to modernize and make it more sporty, my first impression notes:

Weight and balance are incredible, It doesn't feel like a 900lb bike. On and off center stand is easy. Reverse is Easy. Standing at long lights is easy...I think there is more than enough storage and fit and finish of the storage and bike over all is better than any other tour bike except for maybe the Indian. But really Indian and GW should not be compared they are different styles. Comparing to the BMW I think the GW is 10x better fit and finish almost to the point of work of art...

Electronics are terrific, but as an older guy some of the electronics are a bit small maybe I'll get my glasses prescription checked. Layout is good though. Nav system is very good Honda will support it for 10 years, however, per dealer the only way to update right now is to bring it to the dealer they were not given a customer update procedure by their reps. Current map is from 3rd quarter of 2017 in these bikes so not to out of date. It's intuitive and quick. The POI are up to date but don't show up on the map well like a garmin but the list view shows you what's around and how far and many options to choose from. I think that's because POI only show up on a very close zoom not when at a wide view. Zoom works well and is quick. Detour mode is not intuitive like Garmin, it shows you possible detours and how many miles it will add to the route. I like how Garmin does it where it asks how many miles do you want to detour around something. Still glad it has this mode and I'm glad it gives you choices of detours in a list. It has Traffic mode but this was not enabled on my demo ride. Apparently it's an option as well as a Yearly Subscription.

The stock audio is pretty good can hear it just fine highway speeds, so that upgrade option is only if you really want to blast some wattage. ApplePlay works well, but unfortunately I'm an android person. Dealer could not confirm if they plan to update to support android but basic bluetooth works well. Center console buttons are well laid out and easy to use with gloves.
Buttons on left are hard operate with gloves, it's a little crowded on that side add the CB it becomes even more crowded. My Demo did not have the CB but a sold one at the dealer had a CB option in it. Controls are limited in motion but after working with it I think this is good, it's to complex to allow edits while in motion is my opinion. I think this would of been simpler if they put in a Touch Screen. The screen is NOT touch...

Modes are easy to switch. Sport and Tour mode are probably the only 2 useful modes in my mind as eco mode made the bike very sluggish to the point I didn't like how it accelerated onto a highway in the ECO mode. I didn't try rain mode. Acceleration is good but I would not compare it to BMW or the C14. So this is where I depart from Honda and their claim of a sport tour. I don't believe after my demo of highway, local streets, and some twists that one can really call this a sport tour. The lead bike in the demo was an Indian. The GW did not keep up with the Indian in any mode but sport and would catch up fine in tour but not keep up.

Preload settings work well but all modes seemed soft from my viewpoint of coming from a C14 which is very stiff and plants you in the turns like glue. The GW corners well but this is where I depart from Honda again in saying sport...it would not corner as hard as a C14 or the BMW, I didn't get the feeling of glue and the bike did show it's weight in heavy corners. That being said however, the ride on the GW beats any bike I've ever ridden and even some cars! It is so Smooth and relaxing and simply rides over any road variations without any harshness to the riders at all. The sitting position is perfect, no need for risers or angle changes or anything. The stock seat is perfect not to hard or soft, though the gas tank is a bit wide and you don't get to close in your thighs tight to the tank like on a sport tour that narrows the tank by the rider. Watching that new front end do it's work is amazing, it's bouncing around in the fairing like crazy as you ride along and feel nothing. This leads into braking. GW bakes better than any bike I've ever ridden as well. very little dive sharp precise braking. It's a Tour bike plain and simple. I can see riding this all day for a 2 week vacation, no problem.

I found no heat issues with the radiator setup. The heat is well thrown away from riders by the artistic venting. I did find it interesting how they mounted the 2 radiators in the fairing and wonder how it will do in desert heat conditions? I'm sure OK but it is interesting how they are mounted them to the point I'm commenting on it...LOL

So after my demo...I did not buy the GW on the spot. I'm still torn between tour and sport, but the attempt was a good one overall by Honda. I'll let some first adopters purchase, I'll wait to see what the after market does some stuff and maybe I'll buy a leftover 18 next year...Last comment my demo unit had a TPMS failure after the ride. So I found that interesting. Just stopped talking to the dash...

maintchief
Motorcycle: 2018 GL1800 Goldwing touring DCT

Post by maintchief » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:55 pm

I have trailer my 07 GW and I do a front wheel chock and do a crisscross pattern using the roll bars. used the same pattern on ferries to Alaska and Newfoundland with bike on side stand. On the 2018 wing I used the wheel chock with straps on front and rear tires for forward and aft restraint. I used the tie down holes in the frame located just under the front portion of the seat, very stable.

peppilepew
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 (Sold)
2000 Gl1500 Se (Sold)
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Post by peppilepew » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:00 am

I hope all of the new owners love their bikes. I look at this machine and see needed change. As we all know, change is the only constant in life. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. I guess it depends on what each individual loves about a bike. Honda moves very slow. This model is it. Honda can't compete with the HD apparel company; at least in the states. I have heard R+D costs can easily go into the 100's millions. HD changes come subtly. HD adjusts as they go. When Honda or anyone else for that matter builds a new bike from ground up, they have to stick with it until their R+D costs are recovered.

Personally I think they shot themselves in the foot. I am 61 and will be taking a 4k mile road trip this year. This will be our first real vacation in 20 years of being owned by my business. The 1500 had tremendous storage capacity. The GL1800 dropped that capacity. Now we have another drop in storage capacity with the 2018 model. I had this conversation with a friend last weekend. Honda in my opinion is the only bagger that is designed from the ground up to actually incorporate their storage in a unitized fashion. Every other manufacturers bikes with bags gives the appearance that the bags were an after thought. This is both good, and bad. Storage options on those other machines can be changed without having to redesign the entire rear of the bike. Honda not so much.

I agree that this 18 model is more of a ST, than a tourer. Wings are a much slower seller than the HD models. Honda has changed their target market to entice younger ST riders into the market, hoping they won't care about the storage capacity decrease. These younger riders will take short trips and may not care about the storage. I think they are wrong.

Right now is a good time to invest, or startup a company that manufactures small single wheel trailers like the uni-go. I like the uni-go as an option for additional storage.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:46 am

peppilepew wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:00 am
Right now is a good time to invest, or startup a company that manufactures small single wheel trailers like the uni-go. I like the uni-go as an option for additional storage.
If I owned or had access to a large injection-molding operation, I would start manufacturing aftermarket oversized replacement saddlebag doors that expanded the storage capacity outward. Those would be some massive injection molds though, and the cost of the molds would be prohibitive (think $100,000+) - you'd have to sell a lot of saddlebag doors to recoup that.

Perhaps someone might design one that could be manufactured at one of those online 3-D printing services.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:20 am

Larger doors/lids.
Being reasonably small, would it not be fairly easy to make a mold and produce out of fiberglass?
In time, maybe enough sales would warrant mold injection costs.

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:31 am

FM-USA wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:20 am
Larger doors/lids.
Being reasonably small, would it not be fairly easy to make a mold and produce out of fiberglass?
In time, maybe enough sales would warrant mold injection costs.
The difference being: Injection mold, one set of doors produced every 20-30 seconds, using maybe $3 of raw materials and no labor involved. Fiberglass, one set of doors produced every 2-3 hours, using maybe $30 of raw materials and extensive labor required.