GL1000 Starting Woes.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
exShinra
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda Goldwing

GL1000 Starting Woes.

Postby exShinra » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Hello everyone! I'm a proud owner of a 1977 Honda Goldwing.

But lately (the last few months) I've been having issues getting the darn thing to start.
I used to be able to press the start button and she would chirp happily along,
but then something happened, and I had to manually bridge the solenoid with a screwdriver.
Well that worked up until 2 weeks ago, when it didn't even make the starter spin.

So I bought a new solenoid (The old one was caked in crud and looked horrible) and it just arrived today.
I was so excited, I went to where my bike had broke down and did the install myself. Well lo and behold,
I get a very strong "click" from the solenoid, but the starter makes no sound at all. No whirring or anything.

I get power to the rest of my bike, and the battery is brand new, so what could possible be my problem?

Sincerely, Alex.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: GL1000 Starting Woes.

Postby thrasherg » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 pm

I would be suspecting a bad earth, if the relay is not clicking then the battery would seem to have a good charge, but if the starter motor is not turning, it has either failed or you do not have a good earth between the motor and the battery.. Start with the easy stuff first, look to see if the cable from the negative terminal of the battery to the frame is in good condition and the connections are clean and tight.. If they are then try using a car jump lead to connect the negative side of the battery to the starter motor body and then push the start button and see if it starts. If it doesn't then it could be a problem with the new starter relay, so if you short that out, does the starter motor work? Otherwise I suspect you need to remove the starter motor and give it an overhaul and probably some new brushes..

Gary

exShinra
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda Goldwing

Postby exShinra » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:50 pm

I would be suspecting a bad earth, if the relay is not clicking then the battery would seem to have a good charge, but if the starter motor is not turning, it has either failed or you do not have a good earth between the motor and the battery.. Start with the easy stuff first, look to see if the cable from the negative terminal of the battery to the frame is in good condition and the connections are clean and tight.. If they are then try using a car jump lead to connect the negative side of the battery to the starter motor body and then push the start button and see if it starts. If it doesn't then it could be a problem with the new starter relay, so if you short that out, does the starter motor work? Otherwise I suspect you need to remove the starter motor and give it an overhaul and probably some new brushes..

Gary

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10089#ixzz1mbF5MNk9

I suspected that as well. I had to store my bike at a mates house since it was getting dark and I didn't have the proper tools.

Where does the negative cable end up, normally?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:23 am

Please don't forget one thing before you delve deep into all sorts of electrical work.
A engine that won't crank over is USUALLY caused by this.....

Weak battery....Enough power to click the relay but not enough to spin the starter.
Bad solenoid...Verified by the screwdriver across the terminals
Corroded battery cables on the battery or frame.
Or the starter itself gave up the fight.

The last thing even I have missed....HYDROLOCKED.....It can appear that everything is OK but just won't crank.Pull all the plugs,kill the ignition with the kill switch and then test it.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”