windjammer IV Removal

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1979 GL 1000

windjammer IV Removal

Postby rpsanders » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Tired of all that body fat I'm stripping the fairing and bags off my black and gold (saints edition) 79 wing. So far I've managed to re-mount the rear blinkers and break the left side mirror. All I have to figure out is how to wire the front headlight and signals. It might be a good idea to leave the Vetter harnesses so i can remount it for that long road trip when the time comes. Any suggestions on getting the front end lit up? Thanks

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: windjammer IV Removal

Postby Fred Camper » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:00 pm

The available wire harness diagram for your 1979 is a big help. A link to the OEM wiring is available in the manual or you can run a search here.

One consideration regarding the headlight is to use a relay this time, as the "Honda 1975-1979 way" is to send battery power to a junction in the left shelter, then up to the right handlebar switch(starter bypass), then to a second left shelter junction, then up to the left handlebar switch (high low dimmer), then to yet another left shelter junction then finally up to the headlight. As you can imagine it then puts high current through all the switch gear and leave the headlight will limited voltage. Pretty easy mod to use two relays that fit within the headlight bucket to provide the power to the headlight (using a new lead from the battery for power), then just using the OEM switches to trigger the relays. Your switches now have only low power and last longer, and your headlight gets full battery power. Works well and the bike still operates with the stock switches and just needs the new power wire.

I can post a wiring diagram of the relay system if desired, but do not have access right now.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”