sooty plugs #'s 1 and 3/ misfire on acceleration

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
1grouch2u
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000

sooty plugs #'s 1 and 3/ misfire on acceleration

Postby 1grouch2u » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:36 pm

My old '76 GL1000 is giving me conniptions- was running fine a month ago, but has developed a bad misfire. I just put a water pump in it, adjusted the points and timing, synched the carbs (or rather verified they were still in synch). The other day I rode about 70 miles and during this ride developed a miss mostly on acceleration but now have it at cruise as well.
I pulled the plugs to see what might be the problem and #'s 1 and 3 were black and sooty with maybe a little bit of etching around the center electrode more on #1 than on #3 -but they were both sooty very badly. I replaced all 4 plugs with new NGK's but upon test riding still noticed the miss- pulled #1 and #3 and shure enough black soot in very little time running (less than 10 miles).
I'm hoping to find someone here who's had a similar problem that might lead me the right direction on this old thing.
I'm somewhat at a loss because I figure if it was ignition related it would more likely effect either the 1-2 0r the 3-4 coil/sets (as that has always been my experience) - I checked my fuel filter, it's okay, changed plugs, now I'm hoping to hear something before I pull the carbs off. I'm thinking carbs maybe somehow the two right/hand ones sitting most of the winter higher than the 2-4 ones somehow messed up by being ... higher? I don't know, but if anybody has had any similar problems please let me know, I'd sure appreciate it.
(Would the air cutoff valve somehow do this since it's on the R/H side? It has a history of it's own too)
Thank you in advance,
1Grouch2u :cry:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: sooty plugs #'s 1 and 3/ misfire on acceleration

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:14 pm

Being that you just adjusted the points and timing, I'd say that you retarded the timing a bit too far. Try redoing it and see if it makes any difference? That would be the first place I would look, anyway.

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks Boss for your quick reply! -I was just outside waking up/ looking at the old thing and contemplating the exact same thing. Initially I had the timing set by "ear-balling" it, but was worried that it may have been too advanced so while I had the radiator out (and the timing belt covers just for fun- to inspect) while I was doing the water pump, and could get to the front crank bolt to turn the motor over I decided to set the timing by the marks. ( my alternator access bolt cover is stuck so that's the only way I've figured out to do that) It already felt too retarded so I had bumped it up just a smidgen- but still not nearly where it was before- and where it "felt right".

I'll bet you're right, and really appreciate your attention to this forum- you really know what you're talking about with these old things. It's hard to explain my attachment to my old Goldwing, but I have a feeling that you understand. I've got dialysis this morning but will report back- and hopefully close this case- when I return this afternoon.

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:43 pm

1grouch2u wrote:Thanks Boss for your quick reply! -I was just outside waking up/ looking at the old thing and contemplating the exact same thing. Initially I had the timing set by "ear-balling" it, but was worried that it may have been too advanced so while I had the radiator out (and the timing belt covers just for fun- to inspect) while I was doing the water pump, and could get to the front crank bolt to turn the motor over I decided to set the timing by the marks. ( my alternator access bolt cover is stuck so that's the only way I've figured out to do that) It already felt too retarded so I had bumped it up just a smidgen- but still not nearly where it was before- and where it "felt right".

I'll bet you're right, and really appreciate your attention to this forum- you really know what you're talking about with these old things. It's hard to explain my attachment to my old Goldwing, but I have a feeling that you understand. I've got dialysis this morning but will report back- and hopefully close this case- when I return this afternoon.

Advancing the timing straightened out a bunch of my problems- I've been through this more times than I care to admit- suffice it to say advanced case of 'C.R.S.' :lol: This thing has more gremlins than I care to admit (most by my own doing) mostly now centered around my severely hacked and patched carburetor set. After bumping the timing up too far (as determined by hesitation while starting) I pulled it back down to where I always end up having it and got 4 clean plugs back in the holes, now I'm hopefully going to have a newer set of carbs to use on it. -At least surely between the 2 sets I'll be able to put together something that will work.

I've got o rings from the hardware store jammed into the places in the plenum where the big string o ring goes - this from being stuck with fuel running straight out and into the engine and in a must-go no-money can't wait for parts situation- same with the ones that go between the carbs and the plenum- :? I think by now these stop-gap fixes have caused serious problems restricting the fuel flow to the bowls- by the looks of the plugs now it looks like #'s 1 and 4 are barely getting any fuel at all! ~Funny thing though it idles and low speed beautifully, but if I don't do something I'm going to burn a hole in a piston.

Old bike. We suit each other, what can I say? And any advice on thesubject would be appreciated. The weal;th of information available through this conglomeration of Wing o philes is awesome- thank you all!

(Have put o-rings on a pencil and twisted them between a piece of folded up sandpaper to make them fit- am I the only one to have done this? :o )

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”