HELP!!! FNG needs help with 1977 GL1000

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
philjimpot
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

HELP!!! FNG needs help with 1977 GL1000

Postby philjimpot » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:08 am

Hi Guys,
I’m new to goldwings as well as the forum. I bought a 1977 GL1000 today. I bought it knowing that there is a “noise” coming from the clutch area. The bike came with hard bags and in one of the hard bags were clutch plates. After further inspection, I noticed that the clutch cover is off and the clutch case cover looks like it has a new seal on it. The guy I bought it from didn’t say anything to me about him replacing a clutch.

I have not started the bike yet because I want to go over a bunch of stuff first so I have not personally witnessed the “noise.” He said that he thinks the noise might be a bolt on the harmonic balancer that is backing out and hitting the case and it probably needs tightened up. He also said that this was a common thing to happen on goldwings. Is this true?

With the bike in neutral, I thought I would try turning the engine over (not starting it) using the kick starter and I noticed significant resistance. Now, I know the cylinders are under compression and I can expect to meet some resistance but this seemed to be way more than normal. Like I said, I never owned a Goldwing before so this may be normal. My 1975 CB750 is not this bad however. Anyhow, I thought maybe I would pull the spark plugs and try turning the engine over again using the kick starter. Once again, I meet signifcant resistance with plugs out. Is this normal? I can't hear anything grinding but it just feels tight.

If it is NOT normal to have significant resistance, is it possible to mess something up during a clutch replacement that would make the engine meet great resistance? Can you over torque something?

Also, on a side note, the kick starter does not rebound to its original up position when I was turning the engine over. Is it supposed to? I hand to manually return it to the up position and once again, I met almost as much resistance pulling it up as I did pushing it down. Is that normal?

Any help you guys can provide would be great. Thanks in advance. Please try keep the flaming to a minimum.

rstoops

Re: HELP!!! FNG needs help with 1977 GL1000

Postby rstoops » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:38 pm

The bolt you refer to is probably the bolt that holds the pulley to the crankshaft. It's relatively easy to remove the timing belt covers to check if it's loose. I had one come undone on my '76 GL1000 and it wiped out the timing belt covers, but did no other damage.
RSTOOPS

wayneman01
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200A

Postby wayneman01 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:09 pm

With the spark plugs out, it should be relatively easy to turn the engine using the kick start lever. As the previous responder mentioned, the bolt that attaches the timing belt pully to the end of the crankshaft can come loose - causing abnormal noise. It could also be what's making the engine difficult to turn over. If the engine is operated long enough with the bolt loose, it is possible for the pully to shear the keyway and rotate on the crankshaft. Now you've got a situation where the valve timing is off and valves are going to collide with pistons (making for notworthy resistance when trying to spin the engine over).

First, remove the timing belt covers from the front of the engine. Check the condition of the belts the torque of the crankshaft pulley bolt - and the cam timing, if the bolt was indeed loose.

The kick start lever should rise on its own after being kicked downward. If not, plan on removing the engine to get the rear engine case cover off so you can see what's happening in there.

FYI: I have a 1977 GL1000 which now has 169,000 miles on it. Aside from water pumps about every 30,000 miles, the only other engine repair work I've had to do was replace the rubber dampers that are inside the final drive chain sprocket (requiring a complete engine teardown).
~wayneman01

rstoops

Postby rstoops » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:08 am

You mentioned that there was significant resistance when trying to rotate the engine. If the cam timing is off for any reason, the valves and pistons will collide. This is a zero tolerance engine and there will almost certainly be some bent valves as a result. The valve stems are relatively small in diameter and bend easily. If this has happened there will be little, or no, compression on the affected cylinders. The only solution is to pull the head(s) and replace the valves.

philjimpot

Postby philjimpot » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:47 am

I've got it sorted. Thanks guys.

ptmack
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000 goldwing

Postby ptmack » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:38 pm

Don' leave us hanging philjimbot, What was the issue? :shock:

philjimpot

Postby philjimpot » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:52 pm

It was about two weeks before I got a response to this topic on this forum so I moved to the naked Goldwings sight and the guys there helped me out. Everything is explained there (I think you have to be a member to view it):

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23939

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:16 pm

In case you're not a member, here's what he wrote:

Well, here is the deal. I took the stator access cover off and put a wrench on the stator bolt and tightened it maybe a 1/4 turn. So, I'm guessing that isn't the problem. I then turned the engine over with the wrench (clockwise) to see if everything is good to go and it seems to be. The engine is not tight like I originally thought. The starter has no problem turning the engine over as well. Thanks for the heads up on stiff kick starters. Anyway, I thought I would try starting the bike to see it I could hear what the last owner was talking about.

I put new fuel line on along with a new fuel filter and added new fuel. Put in a good battery and it started and ran. It ran like crap but I don't think that it is firing on all cylinders. I inspected the spark plugs when I first got the bike and three of them looked good but #2 cylinder was wet. I don't think it is firing. I took the sprak plug caps out and ohm'd them out and found I have two bad caps. Two are right around 5K ohms and got nothing on the other 2 (no continuity). I just ordered a set of 4 NKG spark plug resistor (5K ohm) caps.

Conclusion: The "noise" the last owned probably heard was due to a poorly running engine. I'm beginning to think all is well with the engine but needs a little work to getter her going again. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS!!!!!!!

78AzWing
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 UnDressed and Progressively Weber Carbureted

Postby 78AzWing » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:16 am

Hope he replaced his timing belts, and torqued down the rotor bolt under the inspection cover.

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons
For thee are Krunchie and taste goode with Ketchup!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”