New to the forum and new project

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
ronmisc
Motorcycle: 83 Honda CX650C (cafe racer)
78 GL1000
79 CB400A Hondamatic Hawk
82 CB750F SS
07 HD Ultra Classic

New to the forum and new project

Postby ronmisc » Wed May 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Just acquired a pretty cool 78 and looking to get her on the road pretty soon. It's stock except the previous owner removed the turn signals, put on some clubman style bars, cut, yep cut the center-stand off, put on some straight pipes, added some floorboards,and basically screwed up a great bike. Restoring it to original isn't something I intended to do so I'll just straighten out the rough edges and enjoy the bike. One of the issues is I'm replacing the floorboards with original foot pegs and I'm not sure how the shift lever will hookup. Does anyone have a good close up or two of their foot peg and shift lever set up they'd be willing to share. Thanks and I'm looking forward to hearing from someone who can help. Ron

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: New to the forum and new project

Postby Mag » Wed May 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Hey Ron....doing the same with my 1500. It had floor-board and Markland heel-toe shift, did not work very well, so I took the boards off and put on the stock pegs and all they do is flop, but it works (for now).

For 78, do not have a fricken clue, sorry bud. Welcome to the group though, others can help on that one fur sur!

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Postby D2D » Thu May 10, 2012 6:30 am

Welcome Ron, the 78 pegs mount right to the frame and will be in the right position without any extra work on your part. The shifter lever mounts horizontally ( bike in neutral ) at the right height and is held in place with a 10mm bolt. Here's a pic to show you what it looks like. As for help and questions regarding a 78, fire away. Mine sat for nearly 30 years with a little tinkering from the previous owner before I got her and stripped her down to bare frame and put her back to road worthy.
Attachments

ronmisc
Motorcycle: 83 Honda CX650C (cafe racer)
78 GL1000
79 CB400A Hondamatic Hawk
82 CB750F SS
07 HD Ultra Classic

Postby ronmisc » Thu May 10, 2012 7:31 am

Thanks for the replies and the pics. Now I see said the blind man. It just wasn't registering that a shiftlever would go on where the bar linkage had been installed and I was stuck on trying to figure out how to use it; so now to find a set of footpegs. I took the bike as part of a deal for my old boat and that put me at about 1K in the bike. It only has 31K miles on it and is in good shape with the exception of the torched off center-stand. It would start but wouldn't idle and ran like crap with a lot of explosions in the muffler. I drained the tank, new fuel and air filter, new plugs, and added the right amount of Sea Foam. The gunshots quit and it will idle now. It still has a "rough spot" just as you crack the throttle but it clears it's throat and runs better. It's running rich as heck from #4; that plug was a little sooty and if the wind is in your face you cry like a baby. The other plugs looked okay. I guess the next step is to get a carb kit from Randakk. His stuff is expensive but if you believe his hype it's worth it. I've seen them cheaper but that's usually what you get. Have you had any experience with other suppliers or Randakk; recommendations? The neutral light stays on all the time and when I put it into gear it stays on but is a tick less bright. That I believe is a ground issue but I'm not sure.

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Postby D2D » Thu May 10, 2012 10:21 am

When I rebuilt my carbs I purchased a kit from Randakk's after reading dozen of testimonials and getting bombarded with replies to some posts I had made in regards to where to find parts, rebuilding etc. for my carbs. I agree, expensive; but you get what you pay for.

As for your neutral switch .. it sits in oil and the contacts are probably bridged by carbon; unless there's a short some place in the wiring to the switch.

Here's how to check if the wiring is okay; Remove the battery cover and the left false tank cover to expose the connector block. The connector you want to access is the white one. That's the bottom connector on the back side of the main junction box. Unplug it and inside the connector, you will see five pins. One sits by itself, that's the one for the neutral switch. Take a test light, clip the test lead to the positive terminal on the battery and touch the other end to that single pin. While holding your test light to the pin, shift through the gears. If the light only lights up when you're in neutral then it's probably a carbon issue. If not, you have an electrical issue you need to track down.
If it's a carbon issue, pull the switch and clean the contacts or purchase a new switch.. your choice.

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Tue May 15, 2012 6:52 pm

Welcome! Sorry no help here, but others will.
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

greganderson
Motorcycle: 1979 goldwing gl1000

Postby greganderson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:10 pm

same issue with my 79 gl1000....question is this?

to pull the neutral switch, since it sits inside, do I need to drain the oil first? I am assuming so but i want to ask first.
thanks

Greg Anderson

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”