Carb Rebuilder

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
jbmorris2001
Motorcycle: 1983 goldwing Interstate

Carb Rebuilder

Postby jbmorris2001 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:42 am

Well I have found the parts online to do a complete rebuild or I can send them out to be rebuild. I'm not sure which way to go as I might need my shaft seals replaced also. My main question right now is has anyone used Pistol Pete to have there carbs rebuild? The other is the carb kits that can be ordered from http://www.randakks.com are they any good for the price? I have notice they look like they are the most complete kits out there.

Thanks for any help on solving this.
Johnathon

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Carb Rebuilder

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:34 pm

I haven't had to do anything to my carbs except sync them (thankfully), but when/if it comes time to rebuild, I will be using Randakk's kit. Some call him obsessive, but when it comes to carburetors, and the quality of the rebuild kit, obsessive is a good thing. I do NOT want to have to pull the carbs apart and do them a second time because of sub-par quality rebuild parts.

achowler1
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby achowler1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:49 pm

I have rebuilt all 4 carbs on my GL1100 A with randakk's kit. Simple,simple,simple!!!!!!! synching them is a breeze. Dont settle for anything less than randakk's kit, other kits are missing critical orings and seals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:57 pm

doesn't randakk provide a vidio with the carb kit
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Yup, he's got a video, as well as a step-by-step photographic manual available.

RickK
Motorcycle: 1976 GL, Yellow with Windjammer fairing and Vetter bags

Postby RickK » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:34 pm

I'm a new member and my buddy and I just purchased two 1976 goldwings. We may need to rebuild the carbs. Been looking on the web for kits and saw Randakk's. But has anyone ever checked out this site: https://www.partsnmore.com/cat_index.ph ... egory=carb.

Is this site any good? Their prices are really low but I like quality over price. Been down the road too many times where it still cost me more in the long run to use a less expensive part.

Thanks!

colemadad
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby colemadad » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:27 pm

I've bought several parts/kits from PartsnMore and have been quite happy with quality and price. I wouldn't use my word as a expert on quality but the main reason I started buying there (other than price) is that WingAmin has bought parts from there and has said that he's happy with what he gets. Their payment scheme is a little out-of-ordinary if you're a Canadian customer but even at that I've had no problems.

colemadad
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby colemadad » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:32 pm

I should say though - I wasn't talking about carb parts - mostly brakes and other stuff. WingAdmin and others are pretty adamant about buying the Randakk kits if you want to do it right.

RickK

Postby RickK » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks colemadad.

For 12 bucks a kit, I can be a carb rebuilding nut!

RickK

Postby RickK » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks for the follow up.

I saw that info in the other areas, too. But wanted to get an updated comment on the other place.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:41 pm

I used all PartsnMore parts to rebuild my brake calipers and master cylinders...but if (when) I rebuild my carbs, I will be using a Randakk kit.

RickK

Postby RickK » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:30 pm

Does anyone know how to repair leaky throttle shafts?

I rebuilt the carbs and did all of the prechecks and everything checked out ok.

Put carbs on the bike and found that after synching them up, I could not get a good idle. The air fuel needles made not difference when adjusted. (It throttles up great and smoothly but the idle stinks.)

Made a search for any kind of air leakage using starter spray with red nozzle, very sparingly, and found that my throttle shafts on carbs 3 and 4 were drawing air in and making the bike run always too lean.

Is there a bushing kit for this or is there another way to plug up this air leak without stopping the throttle from being able to return to idle?

Thanks! Rickk

gnarlyroad
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby gnarlyroad » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:12 am

@RickK. Got the same problem and have been told to just synch as close as possible and then live with it. Apparently there is no fix for the problem of leaky throttle valves. Would be really nice tho to be proven wrong.
Gravity isn't just a good idea. It's the Law.

RickK

Postby RickK » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks Gnarlyroad.

Well, I have a #1 carb that is just about beyond repair, so I use it as my learning aid when nothing else is available on line or books. (it has some broken parts to the carb body.)

Seems there is a felt o-ring on the side of the shaft that meets up with the #3 carb.

To get to it: 1) Unscrew the butterfly disc and the shaft pulls out. 2) Then, there is a formed brass "cap" ring that if you have already cleaned the carb, comes out with a gentle upward motion with a small flat head screw driver.( pry up gently on the inner hole/lip. Do not pry from the side of the brass cap ring that touches the carb body. You are only asking for trouble there.) 3) Once the brass cap is out, the thing that looks like dirt is a felt 0-ring about 1/16th of an inch in thickness. Lift this out gently so that you have a sample to keep. There is also a pressed in brass sleeve, but I did nothing with that. I just inspected it and saw that there is a small hole that is open to the inside of the carb. Probably some kind of air by pass.

Went to my local auto parts store. A real one, not a pepboys and such. Could not find a felt or fiber gasket over the counter. They suggested I go on line to Feltpro and see if they give dimensions on their gaskets better than what is in their book at the store. Then come back with a part number and they can get it for me.

Well, me being not the research type when I have an idea in my head, I decided to make one.

I made a cutting die out of a bolt that was slightly larger than the inner hole of the felt gasket and then used the brass cap to trace the outer diameter.

I made a couple and put them in my Learning aid carb and they fit without any binding to the shaft. ( I did a few tricks besides just cutting them. If all works on the real set of carbs, I will list the details in full.)

I am gonna have to wait a few days in order for me to give it a go on the real set of carbs. (got some "honey dos" to do.)

Even thought I have to tear down the carbs from the plenum box again in order to be able to take the shafts all the way out and replace the gaskets, it's worth the try. (I cannot stand the way it idles.)

Will let you know in about a week!

gnarlyroad
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby gnarlyroad » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:14 pm

Finally saw my poor carb. in parts and indeed there is some sort of felt gasket on the outside of the valve. Good on you for spotting this plus doing it yourself. I like tinkering, but thats beyond what I feel cabable of.
Gravity isn't just a good idea. It's the Law.

RickK

Postby RickK » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 am

There are six felts. two on each #3 and #4 carbs and one on each #1 and #2 carb.

The trick is getting the screws out of the throttle butterfly.

The screws on #1 and #2 were easy.

3 and 4 were tough. Needed to get a really good, i.e. snap-on phillips,3/8 drive socket, tap(harder than you think you wanted to), on the phillips socket and the screw with brass hammer ....and keeping everything in-line, finally undid the screws.

I will be replacing these screws but instead of peening them on the other end, cause I cannot get to them easily, I will be using a dab of locktite to keep the screws secure when I reassemble.

Will let you know how it goes.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”