Front Brake Lever Not Returning When Released / Brake Noise

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
kiitf69
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Goldwing

Front Brake Lever Not Returning When Released / Brake Noise

Postby kiitf69 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi,

On my 1978 GL1000, the front brake lever does not seem to want to return to the proper position after I release the brake lever.
I was told before I bought the bike the brakes were all redone. I had a repair shop look at them and they thought everything looked fine. Plenty of wear left on the pads. The fluid level is fine. The lever issue has been intermittent. It seems to be getting worse lately. Looking at some of the past discussions on the site, it sounds like maybe my master cylinder is clogged? Rear brake is somewhat spongy also. My brakes also squeak quite abit as well. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Jeff

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Front Brake Lever Not Returning When Released / Brake No

Postby Fred Camper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:16 pm

There is a tiny tiny hole in the master cylinder that returns fluid and allows the lever to return to normal. Yours must be plugged. Do a google search and I think you will find a situation similar over at NGWClub.com where the owner explains what he needed to complete to resolve the issue. Regarding the backs, sounds like air at first glance.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:37 am

I don't think that's the problem he's having. The return port in the master cylinder being plugged will prevent the brake pads themselves from retracting when the lever is released, but will not prevent the lever itself from returning.

There's a few things that can cause the brake lever to bind up. The first is the lever itself - if the pivot is gummed up, or the lever has crud that is causing it to not move easily, it can mean that the master cylinder return spring is not strong enough to overcome that binding. If you push the lever forward by hand, and the brakes release, then this is probably the issue.

The second is the master cylinder. If the seals are swollen, the internal stiction can be too much for the return spring to overcome. If you push the lever forward by hand, and the brakes do not release (and the lever is then loose with lots of free play) then this can be the issue.

The last is the return spring itself. If it is worn and no longer can overcome the seal stiction, this can result in the same symptoms.

Of course, it could be a combination of all three. Rebuilding the master cylinder and cleaning up the lever would very likely solve the problem.

kiitf69
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Goldwing

Postby kiitf69 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:53 pm

I'll take a close look at everything you mentioned, clean and replace parts as needed...including changing the brake fluid and re-bleeding the system. Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”