Overheating

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
twaggoner
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Overheating

Postby twaggoner » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Greetings to all!

First ofall, I greatly appreciate all of the feedback of every one who pitched in on their views of straight pipes on my GL. Just to let you all know, I went to a 1 3/4" staight exhaust pipe and I love it!
Know for the "Meat and Potatoe" question. A wire runs from the thermostat switch to, what looks like, another switch, on top of the motor, just below that fuel pump... what is that for?!?!
I have installed a new thermostat switch on my 77 GL1000. My fan still will not come on. I have not completed all of the trouble shooting that I can do. However, I looked, with the help of a good friend and traced the wire in the diagram in my manuel. However, it only lets me know that it is dark green (DG) wire. So, is the little "Thingy" on the motor, just below the fuel pump... what is it? Also, any trouble shooting tips for this issue would MOST appreciated. Thank you all for your advice.

Hedgepig

Re: Overheating

Postby Hedgepig » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:35 am

Quick test for you; pull off the connector to the new fan switch (the rubber booted one with the two wires going to it) - find a short piece of spare insulated wire and strip off each end to expose the strands - with the ignition switched on and the kill switch to 'off', push each end of the spare wire into the connections in the rubber boot - the fan should start immediately. If the fan does not run, there is either no power going to one of the wires to the rubber boot, the fan motor is kaput or the motor is not connected (there is a small push fit tab connector lurking right behind the radiator near the top of it. There are other possibilities but try this simple test first.
Good luck. :)

twaggoner

Postby twaggoner » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:37 am

Thanks for the feedback! I failed to mention that I have done a direct connections test from the battery to the fan, itself. I came on and ran just fine. I know that there is "More Than One Way To Skin A Cat" so I will most certainly check out the wires that you mentioned. Also, the one wire that runs from the therm switch to , what looks like some kind of sensor, by the fuel pump on top of the motor, what is that for? I know that I am a broken record about that piece but I have not been able to find anything about it in my manuel. Thanks again for your speeding feedback Hedgepig!

Hedgepig

Postby Hedgepig » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:03 am

That single wire to a sensor you describe just above the fuel pump is the oil pressure switch; it just uses the same wiring sub-harness as the fan switch and temperature sender.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”