77 goldwing wiring issues please help!!!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
badwing
Motorcycle: 1977 goldwing bobber

77 goldwing wiring issues please help!!!

Postby badwing » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:52 pm

Ok, Im a new memeber (how you doing?) and ill try and give you an informative rundown on what i have for an issue. The bike is a 77 gl1000 that I redid a couple years ago, it sat for ten years and i got it running again, repainted, lowered etc. The bike was running fine and I put my new handlebars on I just made at work. When i did this i cut all the wires for the left and right controls..........I dont have blinkers (i use handle singnals) and i dont use the push button start. ( I put a push button start on that I hid on the bike) BUT i found out that my starter kill switch might be stopping me from starting the bike? It cranks fine, and its getting gas, just not firing. I guess the headlight also runs thru the kill switch???? So i guess my question is, what wires do i need to connect to have my headlight again and to bypass this starter kill switch?? Thanks guys!!

badwing

Re: 77 goldwing wiring issues please help!!!

Postby badwing » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:35 am

Ok figured out how to bypass the kill switch. runs good.headlight i connected the green and grey wires off controls to white and blue. but no running tail lights?????

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:14 am

Bad Wing; I believe the green wire is a ground, and the gray wire MIGHT be the tail light circuit which you borrowed for the headlight. There is a solid black wire in the harness on the left side behind the shelter cover that works with the stock starter button and the headlight. There are also links to wiring diagrams on this site and elsewhere.

Ron in MI
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Postby scotterichmond » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:52 am

badwing

Postby badwing » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:28 pm

thanks guys, im going to do more digging and see what i come up with. The green was off the horn, I wasnt originally using the black wire (which ive been told was a power) I wasnt using that but now i will. I see the black wire also completes the circuit for the resistor, not sure what that does but im sure i need it. Which following it farther also completes the regulator. The tails still dont work, ill have to check a fuse for that. Bike fires good now, headlight when hooked up with the blue white and blue doesnt do anything, but now i see the black red also ties into there. Looking off an old diagram that i got out of an old repair manual. Im going to compare it to that nice BIG diagram and see whats what. I appreciate it guys. I know i sound like a doofus for cutting these wires but i was trying to cut back on the amount of stuff i have on the handlebars. Im going to make another pair this week that flare out instead of in and see if I like these better. When I get all the electrical fig. out im going to make a switch box somewere.

badwing

Postby badwing » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Wiring is good!! Was running great now i have a popping or backfiring out left side exhaust. new fuel filter and lines cleaned carbs. replaced plugs and wires. still pops out exhaust tip.the big did get left overnight in rain. i dont have the plug wire covers. maybe water down by plug that got in oil? Would that make it backfire

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:31 am

The backfire does sound like the miss may be leaving unburned fuel behind. So I would be sure you fully resolve the igniton before worrying about the backfire.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”