Fuel in Air Chamber or Plenum Chamber

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
mtjfrisco
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Re: Fuel in plenum chamber

Postby mtjfrisco » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:29 pm

I just bought a 77 GL1000 that sarts, runs and idles great! Then when you switch the fuel line on the gas starts flooding into the air chamber and bike starts to flood. Shut the fuel line off and it will go back to idleing smoothly for several minutes perfectly until the gas runs out of the carbs. Guy we bought it from said he recently took it on 35 mile rideslike this, by turning the fuel on and off. It is my understanding the carbs were completely gone through recently when bike was beautifully restored including powder coated engine. Where should I start? Thanks! Mark

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Fuel in plenum chamber

Postby dingdong » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:14 am

mtjfrisco wrote:I just bought a 77 GL1000 that sarts, runs and idles great! Then when you switch the fuel line on the gas starts flooding into the air chamber and bike starts to flood. Shut the fuel line off and it will go back to idleing smoothly for several minutes perfectly until the gas runs out of the carbs. Guy we bought it from said he recently took it on 35 mile rideslike this, by turning the fuel on and off. It is my understanding the carbs were completely gone through recently when bike was beautifully restored including powder coated engine. Where should I start? Thanks! Mark

You probably have a float valve that is not sealing or a float that is stuck or not set to the correct height. Famous last words by a previous owner: "The carbs have just been gone through."
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Re: Fuel in Air Chamber or Plenum Chamber

Postby scotterichmond » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:20 pm

It'a time for an overhaul.
try this
http://randakks.com/GL1000%20Combo%20Offer.htm

TheArtist
Motorcycle: 1979 GL 1000

Postby TheArtist » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:43 pm

stuck floats, had the same exact problem. Be careful, loosen the floats on the pins before driving them out. Then polish the pins and I used a torch tip cleaner for the hinges.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:36 pm

As stated, you need to sort the carbs out, regardless of what the previous owner stated, you have an issue with your carbs. They need a cleaning and adjusting as the float levels are either set wrong, or you have a sticking float valve/needle.

Gary

johnqtodd
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000

Postby johnqtodd » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Yep, had same on my 1978 GL1000 with 33K miles with increasingly worse performance, idling, gas mileage, fuel in the plenum, smoke out the tail pipe, ran just ok at 60 mph, but died at the next stop light. Pulled the carbs and found that the plenum gasket was bad. Floats were ok, jets were fine, no gunk anywhere. Jet o-rings were good, but replaced them anyway. Cleaned it up, put it all back together with new rubber everywhere and the thing runs great! Good gas mileage, arm-pulling power, smooth acceleration, and the best part is that it idles at stop lights! Of course, the guy who helped me do the carb work has been working on Hondas exclusively for 32 years. Best 6 hours I have ever spent.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:34 pm

Agree with the general assessment above that your carbs are the issue. If you're not comfortable tackling this level of repair, I suggest that you send your carbs to either Pistol Pete or Mike Nixon for a complete rebuild. If you'd like to try the rebuild yourself, the Randakk link above is your best start. Tip: Buy the kit AND the DVD.

Once your carb problems are sorted out, there are other issues that need to be addressed prior to returning your bike to service. The first would be the fuel system. Because your freshly rebuilt carbs won't appreciate dirty fuel, your tank needs to be completely free of rust and contaminants. Is your tank free of rust and are your fuel lines, filter and pump clean and functioning properly? Drain your tank and look inside. If you see any rust, you should not install your rebuilt carbs until this has been resolved. If you'd like to clean your tank while still in the frame, there are a few methods which provide excellent results. PM me if you're interested and I'll provide some details.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

motorcyclemedic
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000, 1985 GL1200A Aspy

Postby motorcyclemedic » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:20 am

Go to Randakks Cycle web site- read EVERYTHING he says about GL carbs, then buy his carb kits, video, and clean your carbs- be VERY careful with the float pins- This isn't a hard job, just be meticulous and it will run like new- one thing I have always done when rebuilding carbs- using a pressure source, and mineral spirits with a little marvel mystery oil in it instead of gas,(DON'T pressurize gas into your carbs!!) pressure test your carb floats at 4 PSI --NO more than 4 psi!! . You can even visually see the fluid level with a bit of ingenuity and some clear plastic tubing rigged from the drain screw openings. It takes a bit more time, but by tweeking the float levels, you can get all 4 exactly the same level. Be carefull not to over torque the bowl screws, or you will learn about helicoils too. Rotza Ruck!! Dennis in Anchorage

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”