Carbs problems and RPM on 76.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
69busa
Motorcycle: 76 GL-1000
89 GL-1500
01 Hayabusa

Carbs problems and RPM on 76.

Postby 69busa » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:29 pm

Hi, I have remove my carbs and send them to http://www.randakks.com (Pistol Pete did the job.
When I downshift the RPM stays at 2,000 rpm. Do you think a vacuum test is needed ?
On the 76, do the choke need to be pull fully ? If I cut it, the motor dies.
Any one can tell me if Corbin seat is good for my 76?
Bob

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Re: Carbs problems and RPM on 76.

Postby Old Fogey » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:11 am

So many things here!
First, Randakk no longer does carb overhauls so if you sent them to him, he must have then sent them on to Pistol Pete. Is that right?

If your revs are staying up there are a number of things that could be.
Do you still have the choke pulled when it is revving at 2000? If you have to have the choke pulled all the time you have

1) Air leaks:
Did you fit new O rings to the manifolds when you refitted the carbs?
Make sure that the manifold clamp rings are fully tightened.
When you put the carbs back on, you will have to had to remove the air cut-off valve from the top of the manifold to get them back in. Did you maybe loose an O ring or two when re-fitting it?

2) Sticking carb piston
With the engine cold, take off one manifold at a time, hold the throttle open and use a long stick to flip the piston up. It should flip up easily and drop down straight a way. If it doesn't, the top will need to come off and the piston freed off in the cap. But if that is the case I would contact Pistol Pete first, as that should have been checked at the rebuild.
(note: use something that cannot scratch up the piston when flipping it!).

3) Carb synchronisation

It is essential to sychronise the carbs when they have been rebuilt. I know Pete puts the carbs on a mule engine to get them close, but his engine is not your engine! They have to be re-set to your engine conditions.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

69busa
Motorcycle: 76 GL-1000
89 GL-1500
01 Hayabusa

Re: Carbs problems and RPM on 76.

Postby 69busa » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks Old Fogey,
Yes, I send them to Pistol Pete. The choke is not working well, but my problem with the bike running at 2000 rpm when I clutch, is with no choke on.
Pete gave me O rings when I reinstalled.
I will sychronise the carbs, I did not do that.
And I did remove the air cut-off valve, and I will check it if Carb synchronisation does not work.
Thanks again,

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”