Intermitent ignition

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
larrycole
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

Intermitent ignition

Postby larrycole » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi, new to the board and have one of those occasional electrical gremlins that are so hard to sort out. Last year my wife and I went from Denver, through Utah to the Grand Canyon, towing a single wheel trailer with my 1976 GL1000. Although the temps were often hot (104+) the engine temp stayed in a reasonable range. A couple times a day the bike would just suddenly die, like I had hit the kill switch. I could just pull in the clutch, hit the starter, and it would start right up again. My dash voltage meter would still show 14.5 volts during the dead period. This was a little disconcerting in 100 degree temps in the desert with no cell service. I have a Dyna S system and a 1 year old battery. I've been riding this bike around the west since 1985, so it's not a restoration project.

So far I have:
Put in new Dyna coils, disassembled and cleaned the kill switch, unplugged and cleaned every connector and plug I could find, put in a blade type main fuse, replaced the wires to the Dyna S, checked all the grounds, tested the ignition switch (replaced about 10 years ago). It still will occasionally just stop dead, hot weather or not. I should mention the 7v regulator isn't regulating, so the gas and temp gauges often peg, but sometimes return to normal. I have checked and cleaned the infamous 3 yellow wire plug, but it looks good. I always keep the battery on a battery tender when not riding.

Anything I'm overlooking here? Is this the dreaded black ignition wire issue?

Larry Cole
'76 Yellow

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Intermitent ignition

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Generally when a thing suddenly dies and starts working again,I blame electrical connections or their ground.
However you said that those things are verified good so there are only 2 things left.
Either the ignition module is loosing power or the electronic part is bad.
The easiest way to test is to attach a light to the power that feeds the ignition system,as close to the electronic part as possible.
Get the light where you can see it....Drive till it quits.If the light goes off,obviously there is a bad electrical connection.If the light stays on,the ignition module is suspect.
I've not worked with Dyna,but it should have the same requirements as any electronic ignition system.....Pulse,pulse amplifier and the coil pack.They need power and ground.

larrycole

Postby larrycole » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:34 pm

I wrote to Dynatek and they said it would be unusual for the module to fail and it was usually an electrical connection issue. That being said, its been spinning around in that hot environment for over a decade. The coils were overdue for replacement, but I hate to pop for $120 or so to replace the module until I've exhausted everything else. It quits so seldom, but often in traffic, so I have to restart it quickly. If it totally failed, it would be easy to find. I was suspecting a grounding problem, thinking that hitting the starter drew enough current to reestablish ground. I may just have to bite the Dyna S bullet.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:59 pm

I had a similar issue and put a test led bulb on the power lead to the Dyna S and it did show no light from the LED when the bike died. I found a bum electrical spade connection and my blade type main fuse also had too much corrosion to be considered okay.

terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike

Postby terryt » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:09 am

Hi I had the same on my gl1000. It would just cutout and like your pull clutch in push starter button and she would fire up.
What I found on mine was. It was charging at around 16volts wires getting hot. So sorted that out. Then when I had the front jacked up checking the steering. And for some reason I had the bike running. When I pulled the steering from lock to lock it cut out. I found the red wire to the ignition switch was pulling on the connector and breaking the circuit took it apart cleaned the connectors been all right since

larrycole

Postby larrycole » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:38 am

Mine was charging around 15v, which I thought was just my cheap voltmeter reading high. I checked the plug for the stator several times and the spades looked OK. I decided to bypass it, as many have recommended, and discovered that one of the wires looked like it had gotten hot once where the connector was crimped on (inside the plug shoulder). The yellow wires are now soldered together and covered with shrink tubes, so I'll see if that did the trick. Ignition switch wiring seems OK.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”