'76 Goldwing GL1000 - fuel and/or carb problems

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Typhon
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 Red
1976 GL1000 Silver
1981 GL1100 Interstate

'76 Goldwing GL1000 - fuel and/or carb problems

Postby Typhon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:21 am

Got this bike from someone who said it ran fine until he let a friend borrow it. He said he could only get it to start with starter fluid. He was right about that. When I got it started it ran horrible. The exhaust was white and humid and smelled like watery fuel. I used Heet and then Seafoam and now it starts without help. Still runs like crap. I drained the tank and put in some fresh fuel and decided to video the results while running out the residual bad fuel. Doesn't seem to have made much of a difference, but then maybe I didn't run it long enough. Was hoping someone will have a suggestion or two about what I should look at next based on the symtoms. Thanks all!

One thing I've been curious about, because my other Wing does this sometimes too, is there will be what sounds like a backfire, but heard at the front of the bike as well as the rear. Any thoughts?

Here is a link to the video:

TheArtist
Motorcycle: 1979 GL 1000

Re: '76 Goldwing GL1000 - fuel and/or carb problems

Postby TheArtist » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:04 pm

its starving, and sync the carbs.

Barry Barker
Motorcycle: 1975 Honda gl1ooo

Postby Barry Barker » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:43 pm

I concur it sounds very lean, which unfortunately means clogged jets. Our Government imposed ethanol fuel wreaks havoc on older fuel systems, especially carburated machines with fuel pumps. Gravity fed carbs stay full with fresh fuel as long as the fuel petcock is left on and do not suffer as much. Those of us with fuel pumps must run the bikes at least once a week to keep the carbs full of fresh fuel. If we don't, the ethanol fuel goes bad very quickly and is very corrosive. I have a VMAX, with a fuel pump, and every 3 or 4 days turn the key on to activate the pump and fill up the carbs with fresh fuel. This is much easier than rebuilding the carbs.

I just did a carb rebuild on a 75, man there are a lot of parts in thoso early carbs!!!! I think it took me about 12 hours of tedious work to complete the carb rebuild. Keep in mind my bike had set up for almost 20 years. Yours should be easier since it at least runs.

Typhon
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 Red
1976 GL1000 Silver
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Typhon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the guy I got it from said the carbs had been cleand, but you never know. I'll start with carb ajustments and sync and see what happens.

Barry Barker
Motorcycle: 1975 Honda gl1ooo

Postby Barry Barker » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:02 pm

Good luck, I spent about 20 hours rebuilding the carbs on this 75, but they were really bad, and i can be pretty slow when it come to carbs. i got the 75 to run before I started the carb work, against my better judgement, but the owner for some reason thought the carbs might be ok. Honestly, they were so bad i am surprised it would run. In fact, the needle and seats leaked enough fuel to hydro lock the engine with fuel. Since then i finally got the owner to ride the bike and he is shocked at how good it runs. That's a good thing!!!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”