75 GL1000 Engine Problem?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
2speed
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

75 GL1000 Engine Problem?

Postby 2speed » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:41 am

Hello, I'm a First time user Here.
I bought a 75 GL1000 " BarnFind " 100% Complete...The Carbs & Brakes are Seized Solid...Engine Rolls Over.
My Question is: The Engine Only Rolls over Just fine with the starter motor, When i try to roll it from the front crank shaft Pully bolt, or the Alternator Center bolt, or even the Kick Start Lever...It Rolls about Hafe Way and Stops " Locks Up " I even shifted it into Gear and Tryed to Roll the Rear Wheel...No Change?
I was just trying to check all the Timing Marks & Valve Settings when i found this...Problem?
Before i go any Further, Has anyone came Across an Issue like this?
Kinda Sounds & Feels like a Broken Chain, or something came apart?
Maybe thats why it was Parked for almost 20 Years?
Any Feed Back will be greatly...Helpful!! Thanks :)

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: 75 GL1000 Engine Problem?

Postby cbx4evr » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:17 am

Can't answer your question but I'm currently sitting on a 75 Goldwing that had something let go inside the engine and came through the case somewhere between and behind the carbs. Have yet to take the engine out of the bike to see what exactly went wrong. Your issue may be the same. I have another engine to put into it this winter.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

cottonmouth
Motorcycle: 1977 Gold Wing

Postby cottonmouth » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Sounds like the valve timing may be off. I would take the valve covers off and watch closely as you turn the motor over to see if they all go fully up and down, also listen closely for sound of piston hitting the valves. I have a 76 that blew a rod thru the upper case. It would turn over, only because the rod was not connected and the piston was in pieces. Hope you have better luck than I do.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:53 pm

This is an interference engine, so if the timing belt is off more than a few teeth, the a valve will hit the piston and try to stop rotation, unless it breaks. So it could be something simple like the belt on wrong.

Barry Barker
Motorcycle: 1975 Honda gl1ooo

Postby Barry Barker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:06 am

Did you put fuel in the tank and or Carbs? the carbs do not have over flows, excess fuel will (stuck float) flow into the cylinder and hydrolock the engine. Had this happen to mine before i rebuilt the carbs.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:18 am

Are you sure the engine is turning over with the starter or is just the starter spinning. When the starter spin, is it at a "normal" spin rate or does it spin really fast. Something in your description just isn't right. As for locking up when turning by hand, it may be either hydro locked or a piston is hitting a valve. Timing belt off a couple of teeth or broken. Pull the plugs and try to spin it by hand. Do not try to force anything.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2speed

Postby 2speed » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:02 am

dingdong wrote:Are you sure the engine is turning over with the starter or is just the starter spinning. When the starter spin, is it at a "normal" spin rate or does it spin really fast. Something in your description just isn't right. As for locking up when turning by hand, it may be either hydro locked or a piston is hitting a valve. Timing belt off a couple of teeth or broken. Pull the plugs and try to spin it by hand. Do not try to force anything.

Well, heres the Deal again. I have the engine just about Torn Down, In-Frame. I can watch the Timing Belts Spin, I performed a Compression Test on all Cylinders, 2 & 4 Failed. Engine seemed to Spin Smoothly...No Noise. I then went to roll it over Slowly by hand to check Timing marks Before i removed the heads, and found the Issues i Stated. I Guess i'm just Going to Pull the Heads and maybe i'll Find an Answer? Yes! the Carbs were full of Old Nasty Gas & are Seized at the pivet shafts, Un-sure if i can save them? Thanks for the Reply!!! I will stay in touch with my Further Diagnoise.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:39 pm

Very curious. I'm betting on bent valves on that side.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2speed

Postby 2speed » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:16 am

dingdong wrote:Very curious. I'm betting on bent valves on that side.

Well, It was the left side causeing the problem 2 & 4 Intake Valves were Barely touching the piston tops, The Engine now rolls over very Easy by Hand. What Bothers me is Why? The timing belts are in Decent shape and Tight, Maybe when i rolled it over with the starter, that side belt was stuck to a Gear and made the belt jump a Tooth? " Things that make ya Go...Ummmmm? "
I removed the valves and spun them, seems to be No-Damage? Not-Bent!

I have another Issue Now! This Bike sat for over 18 or more Years, Do ya Think maybe the Clutch Plates Could be Stuck together?
The Hand Lever Feels Normal, Good Free Play, I can Hear the Pressure Plate Move Normaly...But When i Put it in Gear and Pull the clutch lever, it won't Release and free-spin? I still may have to remove the engine and Inspect the Clutch Pack...Right?
Or Get it running again, and Hope the Force of the running engine will break it loose?
What-do-ya...Think?

Barry Barker

Postby Barry Barker » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:01 pm

Sounds to me like the belt jumped a tooth, or was installed out of time, you never know who could have worked on it. New belts are available from the local auto parts. You might try rocking the bike in gear with the clutch disengaged, aggressively if needed, the clutches should break free. My bike sat up for over 10 years and clutch works great.

Check out a previous post titled "main jet removal", there is a link to a very helpful Car Rebuild tutorial. One of his throttle plates was stuck and he soaked the entire carb in WD-40, after a couple of days he got it freed up

2speed

Postby 2speed » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:35 am

Barry Barker wrote:Sounds to me like the belt jumped a tooth, or was installed out of time, you never know who could have worked on it. New belts are available from the local auto parts. You might try rocking the bike in gear with the clutch disengaged, aggressively if needed, the clutches should break free. My bike sat up for over 10 years and clutch works great.

Check out a previous post titled "main jet removal", there is a link to a very helpful Car Rebuild tutorial. One of his throttle plates was stuck and he soaked the entire carb in WD-40, after a couple of days he got it freed up

Yup! Thats just what i Thought...Jumped a Tooth. The person i got it from, said it ran fine when parked...But, Ya Never Know? I gave $200.00 Bucks for it and Dragged it Home....Now the Fun Begins!! I Really didn't think a Auto parts store would have Belts that small? I need to check that out, It would Beat Honda's Price for sure...I guess i will just Pull the Engine out and remove the clutch pack for Inspection...all theres left now is just 4 bolts and its Out

My Plain is: To Build a Completely Different Style of a Motorcycle...Yup! I completely removed everything from the Frame, even the Gas Tank. I Chopped and Dropped the Frame...Removed the support Bars on the Top...Welded in a Straight Bar ( Back Bone ) in order to Mount a Pair of 5 Gallon Fat-Bobs...Custom Dash Board Between the Tanks to hold all the Gauges and Switchs...Removed the rear hafe of the Frame and Mounted Sportsters Struts...Installed a 510X17 rear tire...and a 450X19 front tire...SuperGlide HeadLight...and a Pair of SuperTrapp Mufflers...If the carbs don't Free-up? I'm Installing a Conversion Manifold with a Single VW Carburetor...Yeah! It will be a>>>RATBIKE<<<Lol

Barry Barker

Postby Barry Barker » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:57 am

Sounds great Pictures!!! Good thinking about the single carb, you might just proceed in that direction, my guess you will save time and money. First hand experience with these original carbs, they suck!!! To many parts and pieces. Mine were in pretty good shape, sorta, they at least opened and closed. They work great now but I have at least 25 hours in them and a couple of hundred dollars, not including tuning and installation time.

2speed

Postby 2speed » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:02 pm

Barry Barker wrote:Sounds great Pictures!!! Good thinking about the single carb, you might just proceed in that direction, my guess you will save time and money. First hand experience with these original carbs, they suck!!! To many parts and pieces. Mine were in pretty good shape, sorta, they at least opened and closed. They work great now but I have at least 25 hours in them and a couple of hundred dollars, not including tuning and installation time.

For-sure...No Problem! I will Post Pics when I'm Further along with this Wild & Crazy Project....My Wife said Why? Rip-it apart.
I said Because...I can!! I'm in my Late 50's, I've Built alot of Wild Cars & Trucks in the past and afew Harleys. But never went this far with a Complete Change. For as Cheep as i got this, I can't Loose...

2speed

Postby 2speed » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:12 pm

Fred Camper wrote:This is an interference engine, so if the timing belt is off more than a few teeth, the a valve will hit the piston and try to stop rotation, unless it breaks. So it could be something simple like the belt on wrong.

Fred, Yep! I removed the heads and found the left side 2&4 intake valves Barely touching the piston tops, removed the valves and they seem to be Un-damaged. Engine Now Rolls over by hand very Easy.

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:54 pm

Glad you are working it all out. These are great bikes to modify or restore.

2speed

Postby 2speed » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:14 am

Fred Camper wrote:Glad you are working it all out. These are great bikes to modify or restore.

Up-Date!
Replaced all valves, both sides. Yep! they were bent! New Timing Belts as well, Easy Fix!!
Intake conversion turned out, Awesome!... Performs Great!... Idles very Smooth!
Clutch Problem...Corrected it self, after i run the engine and got it Hot!
Exhaust Sounds Wild! for being a set of...4 Foot 1"3/4..Dual Straight Pipes!!
Even the Alternator, operates Normal!...Amazing!!...Thank Goodness!!!
Custom lighting...1928 Model A tail light, T-bucket 7" head light, 2, 6" fog/spot lights, LED's and...More!!
5 Gal. FatBob Tanks, with inlayed gauges!
Dead Man...Thottle!!
Left side, foot clutch!
Left side, Jocky shift!
Farm Tractor...Steel Seat!
450x19 dualsport steer tire....450x17 dualsport rear drive tire.
Will, up-load...pic's Soon!
I call this wild & crazy build....( War Horse )

olchris
2008 Triumph Speedy
72 Norton 750
75 Norton 850

Postby olchris » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 am

2speed wrote:
Fred Camper wrote:Glad you are working it all out. These are great bikes to modify or restore.

Up-Date!
Replaced all valves, both sides. Yep! they were bent! New Timing Belts as well, Easy Fix!!
Intake conversion turned out, Awesome!... Performs Great!... Idles very Smooth!
Clutch Problem...Corrected it self, after i run the engine and got it Hot!
Exhaust Sounds Wild! for being a set of...4 Foot 1"3/4..Dual Straight Pipes!!
Even the Alternator, operates Normal!...Amazing!!...Thank Goodness!!!
Custom lighting...1928 Model A tail light, T-bucket 7" head light, 2, 6" fog/spot lights, LED's and...More!!
5 Gal. FatBob Tanks, with inlayed gauges!
Dead Man...Thottle!!
Left side, foot clutch!
Left side, Jocky shift!
Farm Tractor...Steel Seat!
450x19 dualsport steer tire....450x17 dualsport rear drive tire.
Will, up-load...pic's Soon!
I call this wild & crazy build....( War Horse )

Pictures would be nice :D :D :D :D

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:27 am

Wow. Lots of progress for sure. Glad to see you saving this bike. Yes. Appreciate pictures when you can.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”