Might be buying a 1977 Goldwing that does not start

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
sjrose331
Motorcycle: None but hopeful

Might be buying a 1977 Goldwing that does not start

Postby sjrose331 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:43 pm

Hey im brand new here as of a 15 min ago. From my searches it seems that you guys know your stuff and are pretty helpful.

I am going to look at a 1977 Honda Goldwing today that does not start and have a few questions that you guys may answer.

My background: I am looking for an inexpensive bike and am pretty good mechanically and know my way around cars and bikes, and am not afraid to tear into a project on one. My previous bikes have been a 1996 Kawasaki Ninja, 2002 Honda RC51, 2010 Apriliia Dorsoduro 750. Obviously from that list I have been on the sporty side of the motorcycle world so far, but may be changing that.

Bikes Background: From what I know the bike was ridden into a garage under its own power. Tried to start it and it just clicked didn't even turn over. The owner replaced the battery and the started solenoid with no change in the condition. He also tried jumping the bike (From what I do not know) and didn't change.

From searching the forum here I have seen that the starters on these seem to be a common issue with a simple solution. When a starter on these carbon up is this a common symptom?

I've read on here that making sure the timing belts are replaced is a common problem. The bike has ~50k on it what is the service interval on these? is there a way for me to tell if they have been done if the owner does not know?

Is there anything that I should look for or ask about that is specific to this bike when I look at this?

Any other tips on looking at this motorcycle?

Thank you in advance for the help!

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Re: Might be buying a 1977 Goldwing that does not start

Postby scotterichmond » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:31 am

Man there are a lot of things to check, one very important test is a compression check and rotate it through the gears(on center stand , rolling rear wheel). if thoughs two things check good , then the really expensive parts are out of the way.
By the wat , a properly tuned 77 GL1000 might just suprise you . My 75 is a rocket (scarey fast).

shawnee1952
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000
1987 Gl1200 Interstate

Postby shawnee1952 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:23 am

My 77 was displaying the same symptoms that you have described. I removed the starter and cleaned it and replaced the brushes and checked the connection inside the starter to insure a solid connection to the brushes. Have not had any issues since. The bike has given me three years of good fun and plenty of power. Welcome to the group and you are right about the people on here. They are a big help when you have a problem. As for the timing belts, change them for sure. It is a fairly simple and inexpensive job and there are plenty of posts on here that tell you the right way to go about it.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:27 am

You may find that there is rust on the cylinder walls (from leaving the bike parked for a long time) this can lock-up the engine. The easiest solution is to put the bike on its center stand, then remove the spark plugs, pour a little bit of diesel or penetrating oil in the cylinders (Let it stand for 24 hours), get the bike into top gear by rotating the back wheel back and forwards whilst lifting the gear lever up. Once you have it in top gear, try to rotate the engine by turning the back wheel. You will not be able to generate enough force to damage anything in the engine, but if it was just rust on the bores you should be able to get the engine to turn over. Once it has turned over, the excess diesel/penetrating oil will come out of the spark plug holes. Then you can try the electric start. Then the real work starts, of checking what else is damaged from the long lay-up.

Gary

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:34 am

The GL1000 is a bullet proof machine. Replace the timing belts, whether they've been done before or not. Cheap insurance. While the belts are out, spin the idlers and listen to them. They are also usually bullet proof but it's just good to know. I've found that the starter motor is also bullet proof and other than needing lubrication and cleaning should need nothing else.Change the rear-end grease, engine oil, battery and the tires. Flush the brakes. Squirt some grease into some bearings like the steering neck, then ride the crap out of it! That's what these bikes were built to do!

portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:18 am

If you need brushes in the starter there is a nice complete kit on Ebay for $24. I just got a second Wing that had sat for 5 years. It is running great now but I probably have 40 or more hours in it!

KenoshaGoldwing
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

Postby KenoshaGoldwing » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:25 pm

The starter rebuild is not hard at all. Once you get the bloody thing out... Lowering the exhaust was the only problem I had.

http://goldwingchrome.com/Manuals/GL100 ... ebuild.pdf

Good reference, but no pictures

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=259

This helped a lot, and is a brilliant write up. That being said, I could not get the inner unit out through the top (or bottom) as suggested with the wires being in the way, and busted a little fiber seal I had to replace taking out the other way.

On the outside edge of the right unit, you can see the fibre 'gasket' that I broke going out the other way.
On the outside edge of the right unit, you can see the fibre 'gasket' that I broke going out the other way.

I could not get the inner unit pass these wires.  Maybe I wasn't brave enough, but I moved them as far as I dared.
I could not get the inner unit pass these wires. Maybe I wasn't brave enough, but I moved them as far as I dared.

Fine steel wool, compressed air and patience.

Never mistake Movement for Progress...

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”