Having clutch actuator troubles.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
El Taco
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Having clutch actuator troubles.

Postby El Taco » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:29 pm

So I've got the engine on the bench, valve covers are polished, I've got everything out of the way, but the clutch won't release. I've got the cable hooked up to a lever on a set of bars, and the actuator is adjusted all the way in. I was sure hoping to have the thing back in the frame today, I'd probably ought to stop planning things like that.

It looks to me like the actuator doesn't come out the back side, but that I'd have to pull the clutch cover, and that may require a gasket.

Y'all think maybe it's just stuck from sitting? I had this occur on the GL1100 when I went to pick it up. It had no brakes and I didn't want to load it, so we pulled it on a strap. It took putting it in fourth and pulling it about thirty feet before it broke loose.

If I'm getting into tearing down the back cover, I have another engine with a good clutch, as well as the emergency kick starter parts I'd like to have. I value y'all's input, because if I need the parts, I'm about to be driving five and a half hours to where my other parts bike is located, and I can pull the stuff and bring it back with me.

El Taco

Re: Having clutch actuator troubles.

Postby El Taco » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:59 am

I realize now that I left out all of the pertinent information. The clutch lever pull is far too hard, and at the proper free play, it doesn't seem to do anything at all. The adjuster moves smoothly enough, but the clutch is locked. I guess it's not hard to remove and replace the engine if I'm wrong, but I'm afraid to hang a pipe wrench on the output shaft splines and try to lean on it over the bench. I'm thinking the best way to go is just to put it back in the frame, hook up the shaft and the clutch cable, and rock it in second or third.

El Taco

Postby El Taco » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:55 am

Success. I think it'll hook up and let go. I love how easy it is to get this engine in and out.

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Postby scotterichmond » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:06 pm

El Taco wrote:Success. I think it'll hook up and let go. I love how easy it is to get this engine in and out.

never had to do that myself, really, it is easy?

El Taco

Postby El Taco » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:34 pm

From the bench to the floor was the hard part. Had the missus grab one side and we set it down on the jack. I can straddle it and pick it up just enough to balance it on the pedestal, then roll it from there. Took about ten minutes of shifting it around to get the bolts lined up.

Super easy. CB550 is much more difficult, CB750 doubly so. Those, the best way to go is to lay it on the ground and work it out that way.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”