breaker points alignment backwards

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
tmyrm
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000

breaker points alignment backwards

Postby tmyrm » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:31 am

Hey guys,

(Honda '79 goldwing 1000)
A year ago, I rebuilt my carburetors, but had an occasional terrible backfire during deceleration. When my bike got stuck, I decided to really go through and fix everything, a lot of old electrical cables, replace an old solenoid that seemed to be irregular and such. Unfortunately, through this process I never go the bike running again. Now I'm a bit lost, and not sure where to start. I began again two days ago to stumble upon a distressing piece of info I seem to have overlooked in the past. I'll try to be as complete as possible here, in chronological order. I hope someone can help me out!

Carbs.
I got the bike and it had a serious hesitation in the acceleration, so I immediately took the carbs off. They were dirty, and I completely rebuilt them, except replacing the float bowls. Everything measured well, its not the first time I've done carb rebuilding, so I think it went well. I put them back on the bike and it ran really smooth, but I never got around to syncing the carbs, since I don't have the tool here. There remained one big backfire during deceleration.
I ran out of gas on one trip after rebuilding the carbs, and couldn't get the bike started again. After trailering it home, I replaced the fuel filter, and checked the pump.
Then I noticed the corroded leads on the battery, replaced.
Two of the spark plugs were firing well, and the other two, not. So I replaced the defective solenoid.
Then the breaker point inspection and spacing. Also replacing the cable to the breaker points.
During timing alignment (using a small bulb on a lead) I couldn't get a normal reaction from the alignment.
Only then did I notice that the mark (dot) on the valve shaft which ends in the breaker points, aligns with cylinder 3/4 and not 1/2!
Now I'm not sure if that means the whole engine was aligned backwards, or what adjustments I would have to make...
If the dot aligns with 3/4, then timing mark F1 should also align with them and not 1/2 as my manual says?
Then the solenoids should go to different cylinders than my manual says...
And I'm still not getting regular spark from 2 of my 4 plugs.
where to start!?
Any help and suggestions are much appreciated,
Tom

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: breaker points alignment backwards

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:25 am

Rather than me pecking on the keyboard for 2 hours,I'm gonna send you to a site that already did that.http://www.randakks.com/TechTip7.htm
If you still have problems,post again.And keep us informed with your progress and pictures.
We like pictures :)

tmyrm
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000

Postby tmyrm » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Thanks a bunch!
I know randakk's site since I had already read large parts of his section on how to set the timing. I'll use this new part (which I hadn't seen before) to try and get it going. Pictures coming soon.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:02 pm

Anytime.I can't take any credit for this one but post if it doesn't fall into place.

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Postby scotterichmond » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:37 pm

virgilmobile wrote:Rather than me pecking on the keyboard for 2 hours,I'm gonna send you to a site that already did that.http://www.randakks.com/TechTip7.htm
If you still have problems,post again.And keep us informed with your progress and pictures.
We like pictures :)

you beat me to the punch on this one Virgil, exactlly where I was going !

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”