New Old Wing Owner

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

New Old Wing Owner

Postby wjnfirearms » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:26 am

Hello, everyone.

I'm new to the site, but far from new to motorcycling as I've been riding since '74. I just purchased a '77 GL1000 in amazing condition for $700 and am looking forward to getting it on the road ASAP. Hopefully, I'll get some good advice here as there are things that are obviously different with this machine compared to the other metric bikes I've owned and currently own.

I have two main issues with the GL currently keeping it off of the road. One is that the rear brake pedal is badly sticking and access to remove it to rectify the issue is seemingly challenging. I have ruled out the master cylinder causing this as it has been dismounted and the pedal is definitely the main issue here. Any suggestions? I was able to free it up somewhat by just spraying Freeze-Off on the mounted assembly, but it won't return to the "up" position by itself and still is not completely free.

Another is that the idle is very high and it does a strange thing where on the sidestand, the idle is at one point (higher than normal) and when you set it up straight, the idle quickens even more. It fires up ok and runs pretty smoothly, but it is running rich where you can see and smell the unburnt fuel in exhaust smoke (doesn't smell from oil at all and lessens as the bike warms) and there is evidence of raw fuel when you look in the area within where the air filter rests. I was told that there is an air leak somewhere by a co-worker that has worked on Wings before, but nothing is obvious to me on an external visual exam.

There is what I consider a more minor issue where the bike seemingly won't shift into neutral while running. It slips into N just fine when shut off, but not running. It meshes into all of the gears just fine otherwise. I'm thinking clutch adjustment. Agree?

I do have a service manual downloaded to my laptop, so reference material is available for service. I didn't waste any time obtaining one as I know the value of having them available. My skill set is advanced and tools are not an issue, though I'm not a certified tech or anything like that.

I'd certainly appreciate the experience and expertise you seasoned Wing owners have for a novice. Real time knowledge is better than a book anytime. E-mail and/or phone contact info can be had to anyone willing to assist me, along with my gratitude.

Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

moose4jesus
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Re: New Old Wing Owner

Postby moose4jesus » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:20 am

Welcome to the OldWing club. I'm far from an expert and the gurus will chime in. For you rear brake have you checked the spring that connects at the rear of the pedal? As far as the idle I'd suggest a carb rebuild. Randaak's Cycle Shack is where I bought the kit and the DVD instructions it made my '78 perform like new once I completed it.

Blessings,
Mike

http://www.randakks.com/GL1000%20Combo%20Offer.htm

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Postby scotterichmond » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:35 am

I suggest you completely remove the pedal and clean it, it must work freely. carrbs on these bike have to be just perfect. and when they are, WOW that bike will be a rocket. go with the previous suggestion Randakk is the Guru of all things GL1000 , espcecially carbs.
search his site for acrb tech stuff and read.

El Taco

Postby El Taco » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:33 am

I say it's easy, but I did mine with the engine out of the frame, and even now, there's no exhaust in the way to inhibit access. Once you've dropped the linkage to the cylinder, you have to pull a key and a washer, then work off the pedal and spring. Clean it with a little solvent, do the same in the pedal, then clean the shaft with emory cloth. You may need to clean up the pivot point in the pedal. To do this, I'd suggest using a 1/4" piece of sheathed braided cable in a drill motor.

Cable makes a great brush, just trim off enough insulation and bend it out in all directions. In a drill, this setup will clean out any kind of bore, and fast. I've made brushes three feet long to clean oil galleries during tractor engine overhauls.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Thank you, gentlemen. The info was helpful and appreciated.

I had some time today as I didn't have to be in to the shop until later this afternoon, so I decided to tinker with the Wing. Some amazing things happened.

First, all of the carb screws were snugged down along with any others in the vicinity. Lo and behold, the idle became normal again. I set the screw to the recommended RPM after it warmed up a bit and it is running very well. No change on leaning or being upright. Apparently my friend was right...air leakage was the culprit. Also....no more smoke.

Next, I disconnected the rear master cylinder and it was free as a bird. The issue was just the pedal. I sprayed brake cleaner to undo the gunk and used the Freeze-up liberally and let it set. I played with it after a while and by the time I was done, it was functioning quite normally. Miracle #2.

My son and I have every reason to believe that the past owner might have used 87 octane in it which would explain some of the running issue. I had my son put some 93 in it after it ran out of gas while my son was starting to look at it last night while I was managing the shop I work at.

I ran it around the property here at home as we have some acreage. It ran beautifully, brakes worked just fine both front and rear, and everything electrical is up to snuff. There's a minute roughness in the idle, but I'm hoping some fuel additive and a good run may rectify that. I have new brake pads coming later this week from one of the local bike suppliers (I like to buy local if possible to support them. I manage an auto parts store so I know what the Internet has done, even though I'm guilty also sometimes) and need to replace the speedometer cable. I'm also going to pick up new spark plugs while I'm at the shop tonight just because. Other than that, she's nearly ready for her maiden voyage as my newest bike.

El Taco

Postby El Taco » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:13 pm

For what you paid, I'd say you could have done a lot worse. I'm into mine about $300 already, and I'm a long way from riding anywhere.

Be sure to give it a good **** before you take the plugs out. Blow it out again after you break them loose.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:52 pm

The brake issue is super easy to fix. Water gets into the pivot, and it eventually corrodes, binding the brake pedal. Remove the hardware holding the brake pedal onto the frame, remove it, and clean all the corrosion off the pivot and the pedal pivot. Grease it up well (marine grease works well for this one), reassemble it, and that problem should be fixed for another 20 years or so.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:24 am

Well, I had the Wing out for it's maiden voyage last evening. My new brake pads came in and it was a perfect excuse to go get them with it. All I can say is....WOW! Smooth response, good power band. The bike performed very well. No cooling system issues and everything worked just fine. I did notice that the fork seals are seeping a bit, but as this riding season is closing soon in this part of the world :cry: , that'll likely wait until after winter to address. The manager at the local bike shop where I ordered the pads was quite impressed when he came out to see the Wing. That made me feel even better about the entire thing.

The really best part of the whole adventure? My son (one of three and a daughter) rode with me on the LTD. That's the very first time we had the chance to ride together. It won't be the last.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:52 am

My kids (2 daughters) would never ride with me on my R1, they suggested getting a wing and after I did, they love to come and ride with me. My wife then sold her R6 and got a shadow 750 Aero, we put a back rest on that and now both our daughters love to come riding with mum and dad for a day out somewhere.. I never thought I would buy or ride a wing as I considered them old-mens toys, but I guess I got old as I cannot ever imagine not having a wing now.. I love the gadgets and comfort, would like less weight, but I can live with it.. :oops:

Gary

El Taco

Postby El Taco » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:15 pm

[quote="thrasherg"]My kids (2 daughters) would never ride with me on my R1, they suggested getting a wing and after I did, they love to come and ride with me. My wife then sold her R6 and got a shadow 750 Aero, we put a back rest on that and now both our daughters love to come riding with mum and dad for a day out somewhere.. I never thought I would buy or ride a wing as I considered them old-mens toys, but I guess I got old as I cannot ever imagine not having a wing now.. I love the gadgets and comfort, would like less weight, but I can live with it.. :oops:

Gary[/quote]

I love the boxer engine and just the general layout of everything. Of course, mine doesn't lack any of the gadgets my smaller Hondas of the 70s had, but I love the simplicity of it all.

Maybe you could use another wing in the in the Garage, a naked one for around town. I know from this topic that my naked wing should have more than enough power for me, and I can tell the comfort factor just sitting on mine in the shop.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:05 am

Unfortunately, while the wife has no issues riding with me, she won't get her own. It would be real nice, but I understand her trepidation to riding solo. It's a solely personal thing about her abilities to ride.

Having a naked bike is good for some, but I've never owned one that stayed that way for very long. They may have been purchased that way, but always ended up dressed. This Wing of mine already has a Slipstreamer windshield from the past owner, but that'll be replaced with a Windjammer soon enough. I have a backrest that will be going on this week and bags are in the future also as soon as I can locate a set for a reasonable price. Money is an issue and I can't spend a bundle on this (or anything for that matter), so I'll be looking to do this as cheaply as possible.

balkan
Motorcycle: Gl1000 1977
Gl1500 se 1992

Postby balkan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:21 am

Hi i think i missed it somewhere how did you sort your neutral issue again please have the same problem on my 1977

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”