motor/trany

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
petarm1
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 limited edition
1980 gl1100 interstate
1982 Aspencade gl100

motor/trany

Postby petarm1 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:27 pm

just got some time to play with the new project.just got it thawed outsince the previous owner had it barried in the snow and i have no heat in my garage yet.
cant get her started yet. doesnt even want to click over. is there a way to turn it over manualy with taking it apart. also doesnt seem to matter what gear i am in the rear wheel wants to turn freely. is this worth a complete tair down and rebuild or should i look for another motor and trans.
thank petar

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: motor/trany

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:18 pm

petarm1 wrote:just got some time to play with the new project.just got it thawed outsince the previous owner had it barried in the snow and i have no heat in my garage yet.
cant get her started yet. doesnt even want to click over. is there a way to turn it over manualy with taking it apart. also doesnt seem to matter what gear i am in the rear wheel wants to turn freely. is this worth a complete tair down and rebuild or should i look for another motor and trans.
thank petar

Yes, you can crank the engine over by hand at the back. Pictures are from an 1100, but it's the same method:

1. Remove the stator bolt cover on the rear of the stator. This will expose the bolt used to rotate the engine.

2. Once the cover is removed, clean the threads and put it aside.

3. Fit a socket and ratchet onto the stator bolt on the back of the engine. It is VERY important that you rotate the engine CLOCKWISE only - as if you were tightening the bolt. Rotating the engine backwards can cause the stator bolt to loosen off! Try rotating the engine so that you get a feel for it. You will be rotating against the compression of the cylinders - if you have a hard time turning it, try turning it slower, or remove all the spark plugs, which will eliminate the compression resistance.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”