78 goldwing 1000 front air shocks loose pressure. Help

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
jdavis47
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing 1200

78 goldwing 1000 front air shocks loose pressure. Help

Postby jdavis47 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:36 pm

My 78 Goldwing 1000 lose pressure on front air shocks. How do I locate the leak?
Also the lights that is on the side of saddle bags and storage on back of bike blows the fuse when turned on. What is wrong?

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: 78 goldwing 1000 front air shocks loose pressure. Help

Postby RoadRogue » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:02 am

If I were to venture an educated guess ,I would say that your fork seals are shot. could be from age but more than likely someone has tried to air them up using an air chuck at a gas staion or home compressor. That is a sure way to put way too much air in them in a hurry. Im not sure what your bike is rated to carry for pressure in the forks but my 82 was rated for 14 to 21 psi. It doesnt take much to exceed that pressure at a gas station.
the solution is to replace the seals with new ones.
As for the blown fuse I would say that you have a dead short somewhere in the wire feeding those lights, look under the seat first for a rubbed wire, its a common place . 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:56 am

Rogue is correct about the forks. They are low pressure items and you have to be careful how they are filled and with what. Leakage is caused by a weakness somewhere and a seal is usually the culprit. Any o rings in the system are also suspect. One way to try to find the leak is to pressurize the system to the maximum allowable pressure and mix a solution of dishwashing soap and water and spray it on the areas where a leak may occur and look for bubbles forming. This is an old tire installer's trick to find leaks in tires and it works for anything air pressurized. Don't forget to check the Schrader valve at the air inlet where you fill them as this valve can go bad. Sometimes, they actually can loosen up as they are just screwed in to the inlet device not unlike a tire stem. If it is loose, you'll need the stem removal tool to tighten it back up. They are cheaply and readily available all over. If the valve is bad, remove it with the tool and get another like it to replace it. There are several styles to Schrader valves and you have to use the exact match. These are also available at most auto parts stores and are pretty common and cheap.

As to the light, it can be either a short in one of the light wires or a bad socket. Unplug one at a time from the circuit and see if the fuse continues to blow. Removing the bulb from each light can tell you which light is the bad one and then you have to check the entire light back through it's wiring to see why. If the wiring is good, then the fixture itself has gone bad and needs replaced.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

jdavis47
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing 1200

Postby jdavis47 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks for the valuable advice.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”