Is Victor~Reinz Good Head Gasket?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
1grouch2u
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Is Victor~Reinz Good Head Gasket?

Postby 1grouch2u » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:02 pm

I found Victor~Reinz head gaskets for GL1000 . I know they are a division of Dana, and have used their stuff before in automotive applications. Anybody had any experience with their head gaskets for a GoldWing? I'm thinking they'd probably be really good but wanted to check here first. Thanks!

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Is Victor~Reinz Good Head Gasket?

Postby Fred Camper » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:29 pm

Do be careful, I am not an expert but others have had head gasket trouble in a year with a bad choice. I suggest you post this question at NGWCLUB.com as well if you cannot fine enough data searching here and at NGWCLUB.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:27 am

No experience with with Victor, but I sucessfully used Vesrah on a recent head rebuild.

Make sure your head is flat!
http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13935
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 am

Steve is giving you good advice. I don't know why you had to replace them, but one big mistake many DIYers make, both on cars and water cooled bikes, is not making sure that the heads are true before reinstalling them.

If the gaskets needed replaced due to being blown and there was any significant overheating that they caused, the heads can warp and it may be difficult to tell by the naked eye. If this did occur, then the new gaskets may not seal properly without the heads being milled true before you put them back on. It is entirely possible that there could be some minuscule warpage even without a badly overheated engine, but it less likely if it didn't. Still, it is a good practice to have them checked.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:56 pm

Guy's remember he is removing the head because of a broken valve guide, not due to overheating/warped heads!! He will need to check the replacement head that he got of eBay is flat, but otherwise he just needs to know of a good reliable make of head gasket for a GL1000. The main recommendation is to tell him which shops to avoid!! I know there is one that everyone hates, but I can't remember their name (was it Saber cycles?)!

Gary

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Postby scotterichmond » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:20 pm

The one thing that I would add is to re-tourqe the head gasket , I can't say when , but I know Honda said to do it when it was a new bike.

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Right- thanks for the clarification Gary- I'll check the new (to me- as if I had to say that :p ) head thoroughly when it gets here. I might even wait until next month to worry about the gasket. I think I'll pull my exhaust off and clean in up and paint it. Are the screws that hold the chrome shields on the muffler parts hard to get out? I tried a little with a screwdriver and so far no budging :cry: maybe some liquid wrench and an impact screwdriver- but they will come out, right? -Figured since I already have the back wheel off (but did get the new tire/tube back on it! Yay!) and the pipes off the left side already I really ought to go for it. I'm hoping maybe I can find somebody around here with a sand or bead blaster I could get to clean it up for me. I've got some Rust Oleum High Heat barbeque paint that I hope will work.

That and a seat cover and the old thing should look nice. On the totally different subject: I think I've got the seat off of an 1100 or something- it's got like a raised little bit of a driver backrest and a really narrow little place f or the passenger

I'm getting long winded again here- any ideas/ advice from you's guy's is always appreciated, and often times helpful :P Thanks loads, and we'll talk to you later :D

(And oh yeah, I've already indoctrinated myself to the Saber-Cycle customer satisfaction panel. I haven't mentioned it, but we're all brothers here- when I first got this motor and was in a hurry to put it in and strapper for cash I bought timing belts from them. They worked fine, and still look fine after approx 5k miles, but make no mistake, I'm putting NAPA belts on it before too long just to be safe. Not long after that my cooling fan switch went out and I got one of their knock off ones which seemed to work great- for maybe 2-3 months. I thought that seemed a shrt enough time that any honest supplier would maybe give an exchange- I don't remember the details, but let it suffice to say they were real **** saying I was problem , bent poles on switch- condecending, rude, and insultory real jerk.

Okay, I'm done now! Later! :D

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:35 pm

thrasherg wrote:Guy's remember he is removing the head because of a broken valve guide, not due to overheating/warped heads!!

Its a 36 year old engine that he just gained possession of, regardless of the reason for the head pull, everything is suspect. Now is the time to make it right.

220 grit on a palm sander, carefully and evenly applied, cleans the block surface gloriously well.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:53 pm

A long time ago - in automotive mechanics- we used to use ScotchBrite disks in these little high-speed pneumatic right angle die grinders- boy would it clean up a gasket surface! Wasn't too long though we were being recommended to 'hold back' on that method, or at least proceed with utmost caution, as the edges of the various coolant and oil passages were being smoothed off just enough that there wasn't adequate edge to make a good seal with the gasket. (Edges being rounded off to where they wouldn't make a proper seal.) I suppose provided the pad on the sander was of adequate surface area (the aforementioned disks were pretty small) and you ran it super straight that would be the lick. ;)

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:09 pm

Head gasket (Mother Honda) still hanging in there. Just got around to replacing my old leaky fuel pump, now I've got to get a front master cylinder (oh joy oh bliss) -Rustoleum High-Heat paint holding up great- hope this glorious weather holds up a little longer (before something else goes hay wire) ;)

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:42 pm

1grouch2u wrote:Head gasket (Mother Honda) still hanging in there. Just got around to replacing my old leaky fuel pump, now I've got to get a front master cylinder (oh joy oh bliss) -Rustoleum High-Heat paint holding up great- hope this glorious weather holds up a little longer (before something else goes hay wire) ;)

Many report having good luck with those inexpensive front mcs sold on EBay.

Work a look.

Also check and consider changing the brake hoses.

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:20 pm

Oh? -Well I'm glad to hear it! -'cause that's what I'm about to get then! :) (They're even cheaper if you wait for them to make it over from China on sea turtle, but weather is too perfect to wait that long!)

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”