Update on the GL 1000 resto

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Update on the GL 1000 resto

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:54 am

I thought I'd give an update on how things are going on the work on my '77.

It's warm and tucked away in the workshop up on the lift. The carbs are still out being rebuilt. I hope to have them back soon. The front end is torn apart and the new fork seals are installed. That went much easier than I anticipated as I never did seals before myself.

The entire external cooling system is off as that was a good time to do it with everything being accessible. The rad looks like new after I gave it a through cleaning in the stationary tub. No internal corrosion found when it was drained and flushed. Good news there. New hoses are going on as the NAPA hose shown in the replacement thread found here was in stock at my local store along with a new thermostat. The old ones were ok, but as they all looked aged, this was a good time to replace them proactively. The new rear tire and wheel went on a few weeks ago.

Later this week when I'm off work, the timing belts are going to be checked. Also a good time to get to them with the front end being off the bike.

The bracket for the Windjammer is on now. All the mounting hardware was painted and again looks like new. I still have to fabricate the tabs for the locks for the luggage. I'll get to that soon. The one cracked side panel on the travel trunk is fixed with fiberglass resin and I just to have to finish sanding it down smooth. The other panels for the luggage will be refinished for paint in the near future. After I get the front end back on, the rest of the brackets will be installed.

The further I tear into this bike, the more I'm astonished at the great overall condition of everything I'm looking at. No rust or corrosion virtually everywhere. No damage or external wear to any wiring. I do believe that this Wing was a better $700 investment that I originally thought it was!

Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Update on the GL 1000 resto

Postby Fred Camper » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:09 pm

This is a great time to replace the water pump if the age is unknown. They do not last forever and often they leak the day after a rebuild if they were ignored. If replacing, I believe many different years fit and later models had a better metal impeller.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:29 pm

You can't really check the timing belts, you just have to change them. They don't show any measurable wear, they just break or loose the rubber teeth and let the cam timing slip, with nasty results..

Gary

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:01 pm

Food for thought, guys. Thanks.

Where would you recommend getting the pump and belts?

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:51 pm

you might try CYCLEPSYCHO MOTORCYCLE RECYCLING
Telephone: (541) 461-9279

Cyclemax is listed in the tutorial on the replacement in the GL1100 section, the job is the same btw.
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/46037/159222

Also, a very good tech tip is available at Randakk http://www.randakks.com/TechTip75.htm

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:52 am

To some surprise, the timing belts look original, as in 1977 vintage. Their condition is excellent, but seeing this I decided to get new ones. The tensioners look fine. Point of note here for anyone else that might be looking for the same belts. The NGW tech article I was directed to said that Auto Zone carries the belts. As I manage one, I have to differ. The only one that came up in a search on the store computer was the Goodyear 40274 and that is out of stock at the vendor, not a store stock item. It could also mean that the vendor is no longer carrying this part number. No way to tell. None of the other part numbers cross referenced. I found the Gates T274 through a local Carquest affiliated store. They should be here this morning. Hopefully, with the help of the article, I'll get the belts swapped without problem. The changeover is easy. The timing is crucial to get right. Another repair I never did before.

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:05 am

I have been told that NAPA carries these belts also, did you find a cross reference with them?

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:28 pm

I had called my guy at NAPA and they didn't have them. I don't remember if he said they were unavailable or not. I think they were unavailable or he would have offered to order them. The Gates belts I did get were through Carquest. They were $36/two.

The belts did come in this morning. I tackled the job with the help of Octane's write up. It proved invaluable and I recommend it to anyone doing this job who has never done it before.

You had mentioned that timing belts were difficult to see if they need replaced by appearance. In the picture, see if you can tell which is old and new.

If you said the one to the right of your screen, you win a cookie! It's pretty badly glazed and is a slight bit harder in texture than the new one. Replacing it was the right thing to do.

Everything went according to his text to the letter. The trick with the open end wrench wire tied to the engine guard to hold the left pulley in position was slick. The pulley didn't move a millimeter. I won't be able to check the timing until the carbs get installed.

I put this on the inside of one of the covers. It came with the belt. Sharpie not included.

The cooling system also got installed back on the bike today. I do have to say one thing, though. Those small hoses are a bi%#h! But, it's done and I can finish putting the rest of the front end of the bike together.

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:54 pm

Nice write up and the wrench concept is excellent. Glad to see you are buttoning back up.

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:31 pm

I'm a little confused. So you're saying the belt on the right is the old one? You asked if we could tell which was old and which was new, then you said yes, the one on the right... ???? :|

Ron in MI

PS. Could you provide the link to "Octane's writeup"? I followed the link to Cyclemax but only found a valuable parts source.
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:51 pm

Basically, I was trying at some humor. I was told in a previous response that it was difficult to tell if a timing belt needed replaced by sight. The one on the right of your screen (closest to my fingers) is the old one. The shine from the camera flash shows the glaze from use and age. When one would compare the old one with the new by feel, the difference is obvious. The old one lost it's suppleness even though it was still pretty flexible. There were no cracks like you find with a worn serpentine belt on your car. The teeth were intact on both belts. If someone didn't have a new one to compare to or wasn't astute to this type of thing, it is easy to see how it could be mistaken for still being a good belt. I definitely learned something doing this swap.

Here is the link as requested to Octane's tutorial.http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3544

Today, I buttoned up the rest of the front end along with the replacement fender I bought in Ohio. Looks pretty good. I'm really pleased with the progress made so far. With the lighting changes done to the Vetter trunk completed also, I can start devoting my attention to prepping the bags, trunk lid, and Windjammer for repainting. I still do have to attach the mounts to the rear of the GL for the bags and attach and wire the new LED lights to them to replace the stock turn signals to the rear. I'm still waiting for the return of the carbs, but it's ok as I gave the fellow doing the job for me lots of time as he has a day job also and he is treating me very fair on the price along with coming up to synchronize them after he finishes the rebuilds. The GL is not going anywhere for a couple more months anyway, so why rush things? There's plenty else to do for it's debut in the spring.

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:14 pm

Thanks for steering me straight. :lol: I must be suffering the early stages of PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome). :twisted: And thanks also for that link. 8-)

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”