How Do I Polish...?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
1grouch2u
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000

How Do I Polish...?

Postby 1grouch2u » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Greetings Y'all~
I just wanted to pick some brains about something(s) I've been puzzling on:

1) I've got my exhaust off and I would really like to hit it with this can of Rustoleum 'High-Heat' (shows a picture of a barbeque) Paint. Now my first obstacle is getting the heat shields off. Somebody has had them off before and has boogered up the heads. I can't get in there with my little Vice-Grips, my little hand impact and bit can't get a bite, so I'm pretty much stuck there. (Drill them out?)

2) The header pipes have a bunch of oil soaked into the area around the flanges, into the rust. Any ideas on how to get the oil cleaned up? And how do I get them to a surface that will take the spray paint, and hold it?

3) The rest of the exhaust has a lot of surface rust that I'm sure I'll have to get off, but how do I go about that? I was trying to find somebody with a sandblaster but so far haven't been able to. What kind of places keep a sand blaster going? Paint and body? -Is there any reasonable way anybody knows to get an acceptable surface for painting by hand?

4) And this is why I actually started this post~ While I've got the rocker covers and cam belt covers off, is there any way I could be polishing them by hand? I wish I had a bench grinder I could put a polishing wheel on, but I don't. And I can't afford one, but it sure would improve the looks of this old scoot if I could just get these three things done: Polish the covers, paint the exhaust, and recover the seat. I think I've got an 1100 seat on my 1000, but man is it a tattered mess!

If anybody has any advice on any of this it would be really cool! I've got the valves lapped and the cam seals and the head gasket on the way(along with some moly-60) so I'll be going back together with it pretty soon, weather permitting. Next month I may be able to afford the seat cover too, so any leads on that would be great too. Thanks y'all!

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Re: How Do I Polish...?

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:28 am

Any good degreaser will help with oil removal. I've had success with Greased Lightening. One thing to remember, though. Degreasers tend to leave residue, so as you intend to paint and need a clean surface for good adhesion, after you use the degreaser, use rubbing alcohol to remove the final residue before painting.

As to polishing by hand, by using a good polish such as Flitz and a drill attachment like the Flitz Ball they sell through their web site, you can very well do it by hand and at a lower cost. To do it entirely by hand without a drill attachment will be very tedious and take forever. Take a look at what they have. http://www.flitz.com I've used this product a lot on both metals and clear plexiglass and I just plain love it. The ball is a far better product than either the ones made by Mothers or Meguiars.

I can appreciate that you cannot get a bench grinder as a polishing wheel and rouge is really the way to do it professionally, but you'll have to get at least something like I mentioned to do it well.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Before attempting to polish the various aluminum pieces on our bikes, we need to remove the factory clear coat first. It's pretty easy; just brush a fair amount of paint stripper on it, let it set for a few minutes, then wipe it off with a rag. Then, depending on how corroded or pitted the surface is, you can use fine steel wool, ending up with 0000, which will almost polish it by itself. Then finish it off with chrome polish, metal polish, brasso or whatever metal polish you have laying around. Most everybody has favorite, but unless you want to enter your bike in a judging, just shine it good as above then wax the snot out of it. I use Semichrome as it protects it for a few months before it needs a touchup, but it's fairly expensive.

Have fun.

Ron in MI
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:44 pm

Excellent! Two good ideas to get me out of my rut with this thing- I'll do something tomorrow. Weather permitting I'll get some engine degreaser to the pipes then blast them at the car wash- then steel wool them, wipe them down with alcohol or something then see how the painting goes- might even try that on the muffler, mask off the shields, and hit them with a coat or two.

I'll have to pick up some paint stripper- I'd forgottenall about that stuff- and about the clear coat on the aluminum! Great jump start you two, thanks, I needed that! :D

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Don't forget to post some before and after pix!! :mrgreen:

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:35 pm

I finally managed to get the heat shields off of my exhaust- so that's as for as I've made it with that part. :roll:

I had sprayed some penetrating oil on those screws, which now has soaked into the rust, so now I have to get that stuff out of there :x
You can see where I was able to get a good deal of the rust from my leaking battery off with just a wire brush
You can see where I was able to get a good deal of the rust from my leaking battery off with just a wire brush

I don't know if you can see where the penetrating oil has soaked in...
I don't know if you can see where the penetrating oil has soaked in...

:o :roll: :o :roll: While I'm out here working on this, look what my son drags up! :roll: :) :o :o :lol:

Almost didn't recognize what it was!
Almost didn't recognize what it was!

Old Z-50 I guess
Can anybody tell the year by this?
Can anybody tell the year by this?

It's too dark out to find the vin right now

Hmm... wonder if there's a manual for this one on here? :lol:
Oh boy, another project (oh joy, oh bliss :lol: ) It says 'Honda" on the case, and it's footpegs are the same as my passenger pegs, so I guess it can stay... :roll:

:D Father/Son time w/bikes :D Very cool 8-)

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:45 pm

I've been in the process of getting a ton of rust off my headers and then the muffler myself, I used a wire wheel on bench grinder and a small on on my drill. Pic is the first one cleaned and ready to primer and paint, The other is what it looked like before I started.
Attachments
one done, one to go
one done, one to go

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Great job! So far so good! 8-)

Ron in MI

shawnee1952
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000
1987 Gl1200 Interstate

Postby shawnee1952 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:19 pm

Sounds like you got some good advice on the polishing part of your project. As far as getting the oil out of the rust and tight corners, just spray it with some brake parts cleaner. this stuff is made to remove oil and not leave any residue behind. A word of caution though, use it with plenty of ventalation or you will be higher than a Georgia pine and give it five or ten minutes before you start to wire brush because it is highly flamable. I have used this method many times on old project rides and have had good luck with it.

wjnfirearms
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:54 pm

Looking good so far.

The pipes on my 750 LTD were looking poorly. I didn't want to get into new pipes because I sunk more money into it then I wanted to in the first place (that and I'm probably selling it after the GL is finished and on the road). I decided to use flat black header paint and redo them. They turned out great and looked even better after I repainted the tank and side covers pearl white.

Another recommendation would be to use a rust converter before you repaint any more. Rust is nefarious and will reoccur and come through the paint. I used a converter before I repainted the pipes and this will minimize the possibility of it coming back.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

El Taco

Postby El Taco » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:08 am

Looks like you've got it in the bag. I polished my valve covers, along with a lot of things that were never intended to be polished from the factory with wet or dry sandpaper. Started by wetsanding with 320, then moved up to 400, 600, then 1500 once it was hazy and free of deep marks and scratches. It's time consuming and tedious, but the end result is worth it in my opinion. Finish by buffing with a microfiber cloth and Mother's mag compound. If you're going to clear coat, you might need to hit it with brake cleaner and buff it clean with a dry cloth. I don't know, I didn't coat anything on mine. Beware, once you start polishing, you'll start noticing all kinds of things that can take a polish, and that lead me to tearing things apart in order to detail them far beyond what anyone would be aware of once assembled.

larrycole

Postby larrycole » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:10 pm

You definitely don't ever want to replace your exhaust system - looks like you did a good job. I do mine about every 10 years with a wire brush and some high-heat spray paint. I'm afraid I just ignore my oily headers though.

Larry
'76 Yellow

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:34 pm

I managed to get the headers and the muffler cleaned up and painted with that Rustoleum Barbeque paint- looks really good- it's still on it's center stand in my breezeway waiting for a few more little odds and ends- one thing that's holding me up is that the part of the muffler where it's split and slides over the gasket on the header - broke up. There are three loose pieces of metal now so I have my header shoved into the muffler as far as I could get it, and a Dr. Pepper can wrapped around both pieces then clamped down with it's original clamp and a couple of regular muffler clamps. -I might wrap it with another piece of a more solid Chef BoyArdee Mini-Ravioli can and as many worm/screw type radiator hose clamps as I can get in the space.

I haven't been able to ride it yet, and just what little I've run it there on the porch it sounds pretty good- but I wanted to put this out there 'cause I KNOW SOMEBODY HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM and has "rigged" something along these lines ---

There are two of these exhausts on Ebay right now- one with both sides broken off, and one in the same condition as what I've got.

-And what I've got (on and in my mind) might be adequite , but if there's some better advice out there that's within my resources please share it with me, I would certainly appreciate your help-

Grouch 8-)

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:09 pm

Mine was same as yours plus a lot of rusted through holes so I searched for another one. Got lucky (I guess), found one on ebay that was in good shape except for some surface rust in a few places. It cleaned up real nice and looks good now painted. The only down side was what I paid for it, plus $100.00 shipping..I will spare you my pain.

My old one,I will pull off my scrap metal pile on my trailer that was going to the scrap metal recycle place and take it to my brother-in-law to look at. If something can be jury-rigged in a good way, he can usually figure it out. He was a metalsmith for 40 years and was in fabrication much of that time. If he comes up with a good idea, I will pass it on to you, and anyone else that has a similar problem. I would have done that with mine first, but it was too far gone in other areas also to try to safe it. Will see him Thursday and will let you know what I find out.

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:49 pm

twostrokes48 wrote:Mine was same as yours plus a lot of rusted through holes so I searched for another one. Got lucky (I guess), found one on ebay that was in good shape except for some surface rust in a few places. It cleaned up real nice and looks good now painted. The only down side was what I paid for it, plus $100.00 shipping..I will spare you my pain.

My old one,I will pull off my scrap metal pile on my trailer that was going to the scrap metal recycle place and take it to my brother-in-law to look at. If something can be jury-rigged in a good way, he can usually figure it out. He was a metalsmith for 40 years and was in fabrication much of that time. If he comes up with a good idea, I will pass it on to you, and anyone else that has a similar problem. I would have done that with mine first, but it was too far gone in other areas also to try to safe it. Will see him Thursday and will let you know what I find out.

:D Sounds great :D Don't go to too much bother, but if you readily come up with a workable solution and would be inclined to share it, then I am certainly appreciative! :D

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”