The Latest

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

The Latest

Postby portugeezer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:22 pm

So two days ago I went to Harbor Freight and spent $80 on some basic tools. I got the go ahead from my insurance company to move things so the first thing I did was clear a path to get the bikes out. The Aspencade is toast I posted that in a pic. The GL1000 was almost but not quite as bad so I started to disassemble. I took everything burnt off the bike. The controls on the handlebars,the master cylinder,the cables, the brake lines etc were all melted. I flipped the key on. No lights. Clicked back and forth a few times and the dash came on! I pryed the started button housing open and touched the wires. The bike started!!! I have almost all the burnt stuff off the bike now. I have found a faring,complete bars with controls and wires,a set of Vetter sidebags, the cables,a trunk that says Honda,a pair of mirrors, the racks for the Vetter bags,from my own parts bike I have the tailight,the signal lenses, the dash bezel for the lights. I found a seat 60 miles from here that I'm supposed to get tomorrow. I need sidecovers. I also need to figure out how to paint this stuff all the same color. Any recommendations? I have to use rattlecan because my compressor is burnt.

portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Re: The Latest

Postby portugeezer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:27 pm

I was just looking at the brackets for the vetter sidebags. It seems like there is some sort of spacers needed. If anyone has them and could post pics of how the bracket mounts I sure would appreciate it!

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Re: The Latest

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Dude, I'm thrilled that the GL is salvageable.

First, I have a battery side cover. It's yours. The mate may be easier to find. The guy in Girard, Ohio that I got the GL parts from probably still has the rest along with the other side cover. He posted another ad which is in the feed on our classifieds. It should be the one with a 330 area code.

As to mounting the Vetter bags, if you go to Vetter's site, www.craigvetter.com , you can download pdf versions of the complete original manuals for the luggage for free. Windjammers also. I did and they are crucial to have.

I didn't see any spacers when I received the luggage I bought for mine. The only thing missing was the extension for the turn signals when you replace them after the brackets are mounted. It doesn't matter to me because I'm not using my stock signals anyway.

I'm going to send you a pm with my contact numbers. E-mail is officer64@aol.com. I'd be glad to help in any way I can.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”