Messed Up My Muffler~~~~ Dratz!!!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
1grouch2u
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Messed Up My Muffler~~~~ Dratz!!!

Postby 1grouch2u » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:04 pm

:( Yesterday while I was trying to wrestle my exhaust system up and onto the bike I managed to tear off the parts of the muffler that the header pipe (just one side) slides into and is where the clamp goes. I should've known to leave it alone until today- having just got out of dialysis and was weakened by that, as well as already being weakened from a stroke I had a few years back, but something was keeping at me telling me to get something done- make some progress while the weather was nice- when I should have been taking it easy! :oops:

:| It's still in better shape than the mufflers on Ebay, but I just know somebody out there has run into this before on one of these old things. I'm thinking about wrapping the joint with a tin can and clamp it down with a muffler clamp- that is if they make one that small- or perhaps make a reduction bushing type thing out of a small piece of pipe- if it was standard automotive size pieces I'm sure I could put something together on a bender, but ... :roll:

:) But wanted to see if anybody has come up with a good solution to this- I know somebody has run into this before by now, Thanks! 8-)

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Messed Up My Muffler~~~~ Dratz!!!

Postby Fred Camper » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:26 pm

If it is like mine, the outlet of header fails first. Take the header off and bring it to a muffler shop and they can weld on a new outet pretty easy. There is a lot of structure in the cast header and just the inserted pipe fails.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:29 pm

Some riders of Harleys,for some reason,are always removing their stock mufflers and putting on louder pipes.....
This leads to a abundance of "new" mufflers that can be had very cheap.
Our local dealer sells "take offs" for $20 a pair...just to get rid of them.
With little changes,they bolt right up to the Gl1000 header.
Sounds good too.
And no I didn't make a crossover pipe either.I just dropped the complete rusted exhaust off and bolted on the Harley pipes.

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:55 pm

If you want to use Sportster take then you can weld on the 1.5 inch outlets to match perfectly. But I may be recollectly the wrong size so ask again if you want to go that route. They are as quite as stock and the crossover is not required.

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:53 pm

:D 8-) :D 8-) Wow guys, and with the quickness! I might have to include some calls into the H.D. dealers and see if I can find some take-offs for this! I wrestle with this thing trying to keep it as closeto stock/restorable- even though it inevitably slips further and further away from the mark with every bit of ospey engineering that gets applied . :lol: I imagine I might run it naked this summer since I've managed to get hold of all the turn signals, and the grab bar- but I really like having a windshield in front of me at 70-80mph :o that's quite a workoout -

But for now I imagine I'm going to figure out the best way to rig the factory exhaust back intact- I mean, it's in pretty good shape otherwise, overall, and I did just R&R the heat chrome shields and hit the pipes and muffler with the Rustoleum BBQ paint :roll:

So if any more ideas shoot 'em my way, and I'll le letting you know how my progress comes along too- getting pretty near ready to fire the old thing up and run it to operating temp so I can retorque the head bolts :)

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:05 pm

So just get the correct stock size outlet welded back on to the header. Now I know some folks just weld the stock muffler collector to the headers but that is a pita for maintenance. It can be done, have a set like that in my backup stash.

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:41 pm

Yeah but it's not the header (front) pipe that gave way, it was the part where the clamp is where the muffler is split where the header pipe slips into the front of the muffler- I just went out there and slid it together and it's staying up pretty well all by itself, although I know it would leak and eventually wiggle loose if I don't at least wrap and clamp something around it. I am actually pretty hopeful though that there's enough structural integrity left with what's there that a collar and a couple of clamps might be adequate for a while anyway. I do want to verify the integrity of all these other repairs before I get too deep into something else... :roll:

Lighting not so great on my little cell phone- can you make out where it's broken?
Lighting not so great on my little cell phone- can you make out where it's broken?

Maybe a little better...?
Maybe a little better...?

And lastly- but much lower res.

I don't imagine you can see it here, but the pieces slide together quite some distance- if I had a brazing tip and some oxy/aceteline I could probably sew this together quite tidily (except for the maintainence headache Fred mentioned already...)
I don't imagine you can see it here, but the pieces slide together quite some distance- if I had a brazing tip and some oxy/aceteline I could probably sew this together quite tidily (except for the maintainence headache Fred mentioned already...)

Actually I have gotten the top and the bottom pictures mixed up- but look very close at the top pic and you can see it together enough to hold together with little ...

Maybe I can get better pictures tomorrow if I haven't figured it out by then :?

portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:05 pm

I have a pair of Harley sharkfin mufflers you can have if you pay to ship them. I could UPS them to you

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:52 pm

portugeezer wrote:I have a pair of Harley sharkfin mufflers you can have if you pay to ship them. I could UPS them to you

:lol: Dude~! I tried to message you, but I'm having troubles with cognizant thought at this time- let me get out there and get some measurements (or is this something you know already fits?) -tomorrow I'll message you with that and maybe we can discuss specifics- thanks a million :D

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”