Coolant Pipe Leak

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
1grouch2u
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Coolant Pipe Leak

Postby 1grouch2u » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:43 pm

:( This is not a good weekend. The coolant tube/pipe going to my left head was leaking. I disassembled it and had managed to tear up one of the O-rings (specifically the inboard one.) Now after patiently waiting for the new flange gasket and two mother Honda O-rings from 'Zilla here I get it back together yesterday, and go to fill 'er up- and it's leaking like a sieve - even worse- from the same side- although the )-rings- everything- seemed to go back together better than it had last time- and yet POURING coolant out (I can't tell specifically where it's coming out now) :cry:

I just hope it's not the head gasket somehow- that would really suck! Maybe one of the 0-rings slipped off before I got it all bolted down. This is just making me sick.

:roll: Anything specifically that anybody's had trouble with on doing this? Looks like it should be really straight forward, but I must be missing something- thanks :roll:

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Coolant Pipe Leak

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:22 pm

I've been into that...There's just the 2 "O" rings....My tube split open on the bottom from a hard freeze,but I'm sure you would have seen something like that.
It was 27* below zero one night in Nebraska :shock: .The very reason I live in Louisiana now. :D
The only other thing would be a damaged "O" ring on insertion.

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Postby flash2002 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:37 am

When I rebuilt my engine, I put silicone around the O ring that way it would fill where the O ring could not. You have to make shure it's clean and dry.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:58 pm

You can also try using vaseline on the O-rings to make sure they slide into place without binding or being damaged. Ensure first that the O-rings are nitrile or some other substance that is not harmed by petroleum products.

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:02 pm

I guess I'm being heavy handed with the suckers- keep getting the 0-rings 'cockeyed' on install- and thus my leak. I'm not real disappointed at this place- guess I'll go pick up a few from the hardware store (did just as well as the OEM ones, or so it would seem-) perhaps I'll silicon them onto the tube, then lube the outsides of them for ease of assembly- Here goes! (wish me luck..) :?

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:37 pm

:roll: Gloom, despair and agony on me! - no, I think it's all good, well, almost. This last time the 0-rings went first time- every time- seems I had been using too much lube on them . With just the minimum amount of lubrication and a good, straight approach I've got the hang of it and can do it repeatedly with no deviation or problem- but just as that gets straightened out now I've got one of the bolts that holds the pipe fitting to the head is stripping out. I might can get it to hold with a slightly longer bolt, but if anybody has any ideas - short of yanking the carbs and drilling/tapping it for heli-coil I'd like to hear it!

Let me go out there and find out if that longer bolt will keep things together first though, I guess- thanks!

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:18 am

flash2002 wrote:When I rebuilt my engine, I put silicone around the O ring that way it would fill where the O ring could not. You have to make shure it's clean and dry.

:shock: I've actually seen where somebody had RTV'd an 0-ring and had it hold - just not a practice I would personally undertake- with air conditioning 0-rings I'd be accustomed to lubing them with A/C oil, engine parts- engine oil (or Lubriplate) and so forth. One of these days I'm going to break down and re-supply myself with the various sundry little things that make me feel at home working on stuff- in this instance I've determined thaat I had over-lubed these 0-ings and that once I got down to a more spare amount of grease on them that everything went together quite handily...

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Postby flash2002 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:38 am

1grouch2u, When I said I put silicone, I ment not a lot, just enough to lubricate the O rings at the same time it would help to seal.

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:34 am

flash2002 wrote:1grouch2u, When I said I put silicone, I ment not a lot, just enough to lubricate the O rings at the same time it would help to seal.

My bad brother- I was picturing something out of my nightmares where I'd seen someone (this more than once!) pookey up 0-ring fittings so horrifically that there was no way it could be expected to seal- (do you know what I'm talking about?) I've got your drift- thanks for your suggestion, and no disrespect intended 8-)

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:15 pm

:o Specifically turning wrenches "on the wrong side of the tracks" I can't even recall how many times I've seen people silicon up the hell out of Ford double 0-ring fuel, air conditioning, power steering, etc... making it a terrible mess and wost discouraging to go behind- I think I've got it here finally- just the usual failure to hold my mouth right on assembly- I've filled it with water and run it up, now I've got to let that cool down, drain (get the water out as it's expected to freeze tonight) :o

8-) Not so much more forseeable left to do now to get this thing back together. If I can get it down out of the breezeway I might even be going for a ride this weeekend! 8-)

jacksprat54
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

Postby jacksprat54 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Just went through this situation w/ my '78. The Honda OEM o-rings are 25.9 x 2.3mm. They were way too big for my tubes; rolled right over the "lip" that is supposed to hold them in place. After ruining 2 rings & realizing they were definitely too big. Honda had nothing else that fit. Ended up at a hydraulic pump house to get the "correct" o-rings. I then took those to Ace to match up the size as the ones from the pump house came out of a pump builders tool box. What fit for "my" tube was 19 mm Id x 24 mm od x 2.5 mm thick. But these were standard rubber, I just got them for reference purposes. Has anyone else encountered this? Also, as the manual states, I strongly recommend Gasgacinch during assembly; it not only lubes them it also seals them when it dries. Well, that's my 2 cents worth; hope I didn't bore ya'll. Again, if anybody has seen these "oversize" Honda rings I'd like to hear about it. This process took me a whole week & was incredibly frustrating. I also sprayed my tubes w/ bedliner spray just in case there were any pin-holes, etc. Hope this helps someone down the road.

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:15 pm

jacksprat54 wrote:Just went through this situation w/ my '78. The Honda OEM o-rings are 25.9 x 2.3mm. They were way too big for my tubes; rolled right over the "lip" that is supposed to hold them in place. After ruining 2 rings & realizing they were definitely too big. Honda had nothing else that fit. Ended up at a hydraulic pump house to get the "correct" o-rings. I then took those to Ace to match up the size as the ones from the pump house came out of a pump builders tool box. What fit for "my" tube was 19 mm Id x 24 mm od x 2.5 mm thick. But these were standard rubber, I just got them for reference purposes. Has anyone else encountered this? Also, as the manual states, I strongly recommend Gasgacinch during assembly; it not only lubes them it also seals them when it dries. Well, that's my 2 cents worth; hope I didn't bore ya'll. Again, if anybody has seen these "oversize" Honda rings I'd like to hear about it. This process took me a whole week & was incredibly frustrating. I also sprayed my tubes w/ bedliner spray just in case there were any pin-holes, etc. Hope this helps someone down the road.

Hey Jack- try Partzilla -or one of the many operations that carry the original Honda parts and 'fisches. I was just being a spaz it would seem- felt more inclined to sit at this computer and piss and moan than get out there and do what it took to get my **** together. -Which by the way my old '76 is doing really well. -Except for my seat, which is a pathetic mess, but I've got to get my kid a guitar amp before I can spring for my much needed seat, gas tank, fuel pump... hmm, that's about it though. I'm not hiding or ignoring y'all, seems I've been really sick with three gnarly infections- one of which being an antibiotic resistant staph... yikes! -but gettin stronger everyday- peace out brothers, ride safe 8-)

jacksprat54
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

Postby jacksprat54 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:59 am

Ooops! That would be 21.9, not 25.9; but either way it was too big. Hey 1grouch2u hope you get to feeling better real soon. Can't really tell what kind of seat you have on there but if it's the king/queen "type" that was on mine Saddleman makes a replacement w/ the vinyl already glued to the foam; price as of 2 months ago, $125.00. Takes some work to scrape the old one off the seat pan, but you're obviously not afraid of a little work. My pan was very rusty, had to take a wire wheel in the drill motor to clean it down to bare metal. Some rustoleum paint, Elmers multi-purpose spray adhesive to glue the foam to the pan, then stretch the vinyl. They have pretty good instructions w/it. Looks like new, the foam is more dense, so it's a great ride. If I can figure out how, I'll post some before and after pics. I'm not a very tech-savvy guy. ;) Or should I start a new thread? Like I said, not tech-savvy. Again hope you get well soon.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”