Speedo Howl

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
ppreu
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda Goldwing

Speedo Howl

Postby ppreu » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Just before I put my 1976 GL1000 away for the winter I took one last ride. It was fairly cold out already but not horrible. At any rate all of a sudden my speedometer started howling loudly when i hit say 25mph. When I stopped the bike it stopped. When I started off again it was quiet until I got up to 20-25 mph and then it started again. I just put it away at that point but now I'm starting to think about riding again I'm going to need to do something with it. Anyone got any ideas?

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Re: Speedo Howl

Postby flash2002 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:35 pm

One thing you can do is take the cable off, clean it and grease it. It should solve the problem unless the noise is from inside the speedo then, you will have to wait till it warms up :lol: or take it apart.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:01 pm

Disconnect it at one end and pull out the inner cable. Lube it well then it back in. It may be the tach cable if you used the same gear at 25mph each time. I would do both.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Good advice above.

There are three things to look at: The hub at the front wheel and (as stated above) the cable, cable sleeve and speedo. First, disconnect the cable from the speedo and go for a ride. Does the noise stop? If it does, the problem is in the speedo sealed bearing. This is the 'worst case scenario' as your speedo will probably have to be opened. If the noise continues, (with the cable still disconnected from the speedo) disconnect the cable from the hub and ride. Did it go away? If it did, it's your cable. Pull the cable, clean and grease it. Also, run some WD-40 or PB Blaster through the sleeve to clean it out. If the noise didn't go away, it's your hub. Keep your fingers crossed that it's just the cable as it's an easy fix. While you're at it, why not lube your throttle, clutch and tach. cables as well? They probably need attention. Twist your throttle all the way open and release it. Does it snap back with authority? If not, it needs a lube.

If the sound proves to be coming from your speedo, the fix is much more complicated. The bearing just inside the cable connector is sealed. Some have had luck with removing the speedo, placing it upside down and applying some aerosol lubricant to the area letting it sit for 24 hours to assist penetration. Another, riskier, method is to attach one end of a piece of plastic tubing to a grease gun and the other to your speedo. Clamp them in place and apply some pressure. (Add some MMO to the plastic tube ahead of the grease.) Leave the gun and grease under pressure overnight. I will add that this method would be my last resort prior to disassembly and/or possible replacement. Forcing a lubricant into the bearing (and possibly past it and into the delicate speedo interior, would not be a good thing.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:34 am

I'm pretty sure they all do that eventually. This is not just a Goldwing thing it's a 70's Honda thing! There are two phillips head screws on the underside of the speedo. Remove the cable then those two screws. Get a can of wd-40 and hold the speedo upright. Spray the w-40 up into it where the cable slips into it and all kinds of black gunk will wash out of it. I used a whole can on mine. That fixed it. I think it's from living where the bikes get frozen during the winter. I install and repair garage doors and one of the biggest problem causes is frozen or dried out grease. When you do this as long as you don't tip it face down no oil gets into it. If the noise is coming from the speedo head the needle will also hop around a little. Hope this helps. Best of luck!

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:58 am

Better yet, get yourself a cable oiler which attaches to the cable and allows you to force spray through the cable. Inexpensive and a good investment. Then I'd use the WD or maybe better, brake cleaner spray, and clean out the sheath well, as was suggested already. End the process using a good cable oil spray which will lube better and last longer than WD.

While you're at it, do your clutch cable also. It'll lengthen it's life. Choke cable, too.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

portugeezer
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:33 am

The cables should be lubed but the howling noise comes right from the Seiko speedo heads. The WD breaks up the old dried up lube. If you let it go for too long the needle just bounces all over and you have no speedo at all!

portugeezer
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:44 am

Go to the search topic box and type in Speedo noise. You can look up all the past things about the same issue and how it was reolved

1grouch2u
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Postby 1grouch2u » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:26 am

Mine was doing that a couple of years ago- and it freaked me out! My mind was blown at the time so I kept convincing myself that it was the radiator cap releasing (funny how the new cap didn't straighten out the problem/noise) -What really bothered me about it was how it (the noise) went away when I stopped the bike to inspect it. Evasive/elusive arse gremlin!

Somehow however I did manage to isolate the problem as being from the speedometer cable. I sprayed it with wd-40 and that would quiet it down briefly - I think what finally had the best effect was some motor oil allowed to run down the housing- same time as doing the clutch cable. I've been through that clutch cable, but still on the same speedo-cable. ;)

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”