1979 GL1000 One Cylinder firing only somtimes

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
joshuadaymon
Motorcycle: gl100 1979

1979 GL1000 One Cylinder firing only somtimes

Postby joshuadaymon » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Im not Shure the cylinder order # so bear with me.
It's the cylinder to the front of the motorcycle on the left side, (assuming your sitting on the bike)
also when choke is pulled bike dies

What i've done
Compression test ~130
New spark plugs- all getting spark, although it seems weak but I don't know
cleaned carbs twice
set air to gas to manual standards 1 3/4 turn.
sprayed starter fluid to check for vacuum leaks, found and fixed

What I haven't done
checked points
set timing
carb sync
replaced coil

----
I do not have a set of 4 vacuum gauges to set my carbs.
I had to change my front cam seal, so timing could be off although its doubtful as I kept the arrows lined up.
My coils are stock so they may not be producing a strong enough spark.
engine will run without that wire hooked up, it sputters upwards in rpm while hooked up.
hard to start as choke kills it.
you can hear the intake suck air when you give it gas.

not sure where to start will post a video if I cant figure it out soon.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: 1979 GL1000 One Cylinder firing only somtimes

Postby Placerville » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:46 pm

In the diagram below, if you're sitting on the bike, #1 is right front, #2 is left front, #3 is right rear and #4 is left rear. So, per your description, you have a problem with your #2 plug/cylinder.

You haven't mentioned anything about your plug wires. Although it could be a coil, the easiest and most logical fix at this point would be to replace the #2 wire and see if it solves your problem. If it does, replace the rest of them as well. Whatever you do, don't jump around with your attempts to fix this. Adjusting things 'here and there' will only confuse the issue and run you down a rabbit trail. Take things in a logical progression working 'out' from the problem e.g., plug, wire, coil etc. After you fix the 'weak fire/no fire' problem, move to the choke issue. I'm predicting that once you fix your first problem, the choke issue will resolve itself. If not, first consider anything you've done that might have cause it to malfunction during any of your earlier attempts. Good luck.

Placerville- 1976 Yellow

joshuadaymon

Postby joshuadaymon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:51 pm

going to buy a new coil set. Any ones you recommend or should I eBay some OEM ones?
was thinking dyna coils unsure what OHM to get.
also what do you mean replace the wire? from the contacts or the coil wire itself.
I am getting spark to each plug. I flipped the wires and I started running on the other side so I believe my right coil may not be producing enough spark...

moreover... I noticed someone did some imitation wiring with the starter switch.. ran it from the solenoid (yellow/red) straight to the switch itself bypassing some things. other wire (yellow/red) is clipped in many places all the way up to some sort of resistor or fuse that turns into a black/red or black/brown wire.. could this be causing my issue?

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:47 pm

I meant, 'replace the spark plug wire on #2.

You're now saying that you've 'flipped' the #1 and #2 wires and the problem has moved to #1. If you did this at the coil then, that proves the problem to the coil. So, fix this first. I don't know what your budget is so, here's some suggestions. First, you can buy a set of used coils on eBay. Here's several of them to choose from. It looks like you can pick up a working set for under $30.

If you want to go new, your next choice, IMHO, would be a set of Dynatek's. Here's a set on eBay but, I'd look around for a better price. If you're going to invest this amount of money, I'd recommend that you go with Dyna electronic ignition as well. Do a Web search for the complete package.

Regarding the POs wiring, I do not believe that this is causing your problem. From your description, it sounds as though the PO installed a relay that would power additional lighting directly from the battery. This was done in order to by-pass the starter switch which, originally, was the main route for the headlight. Many owners installed higher wattage headlights on their bikes without understanding where that voltage was coming from and burned up their starter switch. The original switches in these early GL's were capable of handling the voltage requirements for the factory 40W/50 headlight and not much more.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:27 pm

Dynatec will tell you the ohm required, it is 3.0 ohms. I would be more comfortable with new if you ever plan to ride in the rain.

joshuadaymon

Postby joshuadaymon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:08 am

Ordered a cheap coil pair.
I have a newer bike just trying to get this out the door. Have an offer of 2200 on it once fixed full fairing. Its in pretty good shape paint looks new ;). I've not invested much into it so I got some play. Its been about a 450$ bike so far. Was a good started until I bought my Honda spirit shadow 1800. TBH though I like the Goldwing more for longer trips, going to miss it.

joshuadaymon

Postby joshuadaymon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:06 pm

didn't fix my issue maybe I need to adjust points (not enough contact).
completely a newbie at this any point guides for a gl1000 out there
don't even know where they are located.

any other ideas

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 am

points are not a good idea on a bike you ride seldom. The points can end up open on occasion when you stop, and if you ride the next day no big deal. But if it sits with the point open for a month, condensation can accelerate corrosion and fail them fast if they are open. Electronic ignition is better for vintage bikes that only get ridden occasionally. The points are under a round cover on the left side behind the cylinder head. Nice access and not bad at all to change. If you are selling, then just put in new points.

joshuadaymon

Postby joshuadaymon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:30 am

Fred Camper wrote:points are not a good idea on a bike you ride seldom. The points can end up open on occasion when you stop, and if you ride the next day no big deal. But if it sits with the point open for a month, condensation can accelerate corrosion and fail them fast if they are open. Electronic ignition is better for vintage bikes that only get ridden occasionally. The points are under a round cover on the left side behind the cylinder head. Nice access and not bad at all to change. If you are selling, then just put in new points.

Im silly it has dyna electric ignition and it tests fine.. Unsure what's wrong.. Guess ill ponder awhile

joshuadaymon

Postby joshuadaymon » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:11 pm

joshuadaymon wrote:
Fred Camper wrote:points are not a good idea on a bike you ride seldom. The points can end up open on occasion when you stop, and if you ride the next day no big deal. But if it sits with the point open for a month, condensation can accelerate corrosion and fail them fast if they are open. Electronic ignition is better for vintage bikes that only get ridden occasionally. The points are under a round cover on the left side behind the cylinder head. Nice access and not bad at all to change. If you are selling, then just put in new points.

Im silly it has dyna electric ignition and it tests fine.. Unsure what's wrong.. Guess ill ponder awhile

all four are now firing chokes working still a little rough just needs synced probably... ty guys. ( replaced trigger wires)

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”