EverStart or SuperStart? Experience? Opinions?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
1grouch2u
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000

EverStart or SuperStart? Experience? Opinions?

Postby 1grouch2u » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Hi friends~! Well, of course as soon as I pulled my bike out and went to ride it I started getting the tell-tale signs of a rapidly failing battery. -It had been doing remarkably well, but I think the guy said something about 2010 being the date I purchased my last one, sooo...

I just thought I'd try and get a consensus of peoples opinions about batteries, EverStart, from WalMart for a motorcycle (I've got one in my car and it seems to be pretty solid) or another Super Start, from O'Reilly's (the last couple I've had in my bike. Also pretty trustworthy but maybe $5.00 priceyer)

If anybody has had any memorable experience- good or bad- with either of these brands, enough so that it's enough to prompt you to put it in writing- I'd appreciate it!

(P.S. I'm in kinda a small town so these are really my best options. )

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: EverStart or SuperStart? Experience? Opinions?

Postby Placerville » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Any new battery is better than an old battery that's not been maintained properly or is on it's way out. Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong with any new motorcycle battery that fits your GL and has the binding posts situated correctly so you don't have to modify anything.

Regarding your old battery; you said it was installed in 2010? That battery should be just fine as long as you've kept it filled (if it's an acid type) and you haven't inadvertently overcharged it or let it die on occasion. Both of the later conditions will ruin a new battery.

Do you keep your battery on an intellegent float charger when your bike's parked? If you don't, you should. Intelligent chargers are the best thing you can do for a new or an old (sick) battery. Here's an excellent intelligent charger for a very reasonable $40. This TecMate TM-151 OptiMate 3+ 0.6Amp Desulfating Charger/Maintainer will de-sulfate and test your battery while keeping it at a maximum charge. It charges very slowly (the best type of charging) and can be left on your battery indefinitely. Do not use any other type of float charger other than one described as 'intelligent'. Even the much advertised and popular 'Battery Tender' float charger (which costs as much as the TecMate shown here) is nothing more than a 12V DC charger and will eventually ruin a battery. Unless a float charger can "test and desulfate" it will eventually ruin your battery.

I'd suggest that before you buy a new battery, you purchase the TecMate and put it on your battery. These charges can 'repair' defective batteries and bring them back to life. If your battery can't be saved (have you taken it to an auto parts store for a charge and a surge test?) the Big Crank is an AGM battery that a lot of vintage GL owners like.

[img]http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/download/file.php?id=8709&t=1[/img&tag=goldwingdocs-20]

Placerville- 1976 Yellow

portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:14 pm

I worked in auto salvage for several years. We could never keep enough batteries in the store to keep up with the demand for used batteries. Most of the regardless of brand appear to be made the same way. I suspect there are only a few manufacturers. The exception is the gel type batteries. I also wonder why your battery failed. I had a radio in my old faring and some poorly rewired things here and there. The battery would drain in about 3 days without a maintainer on it. Since the fire I have no radio or airhorns. The wiring is close to stock aside from the brake lights on my Vetter top case. The same battery now holds a charge just fine. Might be a good idea to see if any previous owners did some bad mods.

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:52 pm

I'm just going blind in my old age- what I thought was the water level was just the line on the side of the battery indicating where the water level was supposed to be- once I got the rubber strap off to take out the battery I saw that it was low on water on all the cells- it still tests "bad", but seems to be holding a charge and starts the bike fine.

I guess I'll run it like it is until it starts giving me trouble...? Wiring is pretty much stock - up to the Vetter fairing and Bates saddlebags. I've got one of those choo-choo headlight modulators, but haven't put it in yet (are those bad on batteries? Charging systems?)

Thanks guys!

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:51 pm

I run a Big Crank battery and it does just fine. But I would keep yours in as it just needed distilled water. A headlight modulator is not hard at all on Batts as the current is minimally changed as the electronics balance the timing between the two filaments well.

I do run a Mofset regulator now as that does improve charging a little better.

1grouch2u

Postby 1grouch2u » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:58 am

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback :D I've got to put some thinner oil in my forks now- these messed up roads in this town are going to mess up my battery, my dental work, and everything else- real quick question: with this Windjammer on here, should I run like a 15 weight fork oil or something? -Or just the recommended ATF? :roll:

Great group~! Thanks again :lol:

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:00 am

I purchased an Everstart from WalMart when the battery in my GL1000 failed while on a trip. It worked well until the winter. I ride all year and that Everstart did not have enough cranking power on below freezing mornings. I see you live in Texas so that may not be an issue for you.
Now I only buy Yuasa gel batteries they have plenty of cranking power.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:06 am

I run 5 weight oil, but 15 weight or ATW sounds good for your situation with a fairing.

El Taco
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby El Taco » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:51 pm

I've always called it a Neverstart. I wouldn't personally rely heavily on a battery from Wal Mart. Sure, they have a two year replacement warranty, but how many times do you want to replace it in two years?

Fulcrum
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby Fulcrum » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:33 pm

I like Everstart Batteries. I have one on my interceptor that spent some time on its side, leaked very little. Topped it off with Distilled water and a trickle charge and after 6 months being off a bike on its side works great. That was two years ago and it still works like a beast, especially since its on a bike that I only start about twice a month. Do NOT buy a cheap Ebay AGM battery! I know they are about ten bucks less than the Everstart but they are total crap. Bought one for my Suzuki, from day one it was crap. Got a replacement and six months later if you dont ride the bike every three or four days it loses charge and wont start the bike. Walmarts are everywhere and their warranty is pretty good. For an inexpensive battery they are tops. Sure you can but a better battery but you could also buy three Walmart batterys for the price of one of those and get more bang for your buck. Just my 2 cents tho.

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:41 pm

Cycle Gear stores sells two types of batteries. One they claim has a lifetime warranty. This would be a first for me because I've never heard of a motorcycle battery holding a warranty for as long as you owned the bike. I don't know how expensive they are because I don't need one right now so I haven't checked. I saw them advertised in their new sale flier that came in the mail on Friday. I would imagine they will ship them as I didn't see anything in the flier that said they won't if there isn't a store nearby.

Might be worth looking into.

Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”