Oil leaking from clutch actuator

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
El Taco
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Oil leaking from clutch actuator

Postby El Taco » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:45 pm

It's making quite a mess on the floor. Is the oil level back there supposed to be higher than the actuator itself? Are there any common problems I should know about with the oil pump that evacuates that part of the sump?

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: Oil leaking from clutch actuator

Postby Placerville » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Are you saying that oil is leaking from the notch in the engine housing at the bottom of the clutch cover plate? If so, your actuator seal is leaking. Pull your cover plate and see if coming from there. If it is, you'll need to pull your clutch to replace it. The seal is available from Honda, 91202-KFL-841, for $3. If you've ever considered pulling your engine to do any number of other things to it, NOW is the time to do it. ;) The seal can be replaced without pulling the engine but, it's not fun.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

El Taco
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby El Taco » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:26 pm

Oh, it's coming out alright. When you say clutch, you mean the actuator, right? You don't have to remove the entire clutch assembly from the rear of the case, just the cover that bolts on over it. I'll be swapping the stator cover, so I'll have access to everything in there. I wasn't sure if it had a seal in it, but now I'll be sure to replace it while it's out.

Thanks, this could be the one little gem of information that made all the difference when it's finished.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:34 pm

Er..., I meant to say the clutch lever. You have to remove it (lever) to expose the seal which will come out with a dental pick or some such tool. When you put everything back together, the only lubrication necessary is the pivot area of the yellow arrow. (Photo credit: Octane - NGW)

Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”