75 value question

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
metalsmith
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade

75 value question

Postby metalsmith » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Howdy everybody,

I may be able to trade into a 75 1000 and am trying to find out some ideas on value. I've hunted around some, checked Ebay and CL and the few I find seem to run in the $2000-$3000 neighborhood for one like this. If you have any idea what it should go for I would greatly like to hear it. This will be a retail for retail trade (retail on my end will be shop labor).

Thanks for any information. I am a bit familiar with the 1200, such as the one I ride, but not so much this early one. These things were the reason I decided waaaaayyyyy back that I needed to get one of the big Hondas.
Attachments
75 1000
75 1000

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Re: 75 value question

Postby artgrantz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:24 pm

Did you check Kelly Blue Book for a value?

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Kelley puts a '75 in excellent condition at $2120 retail. Trade in is at $920. Normally, a private party sale value would fall somewhere in between.

Now, "excellent" shape considers the bike to be in great shape both cosmetically as well as mechanically with low mileage. This would be a bike that requires nothing at all to be done to get on it and ride, basically what we call a "turnkey" vehicle. It would be as close to new condition as one could get without being new.

Considering that fixer uppers in better than very poor condition from '75-'79 seem to be available from anywhere from $500-$1000, I wouldn't spend near $3000 for one that wasn't in absolutely perfect shape. I paid $700 for my '77, which is exactly the same color as the one pictured, and have put less than a couple hundred into it to get into great riding shape. Between the bike itself, the parts and work done by others, which is only the carbs, and the complete set of Vetter luggage and fairing, I'll have a grand total of under $1600 in my GW after all is said and done. I'm sure others can state similar.

I've seen nice examples of newer full dress Wings available for under $3000-4000, significantly newer. I'd look very carefully at a first generation GW that is being sold for upward of $3k. No way I'd buy it sight unseen and I'd ask a LOT of questions about it's pedigree and repair history.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:41 pm

That one looks to be all original. It also looks like it's in great shape. Price depends a lot on where you live. The price you are giving would be in line here in Chicago. You really can't buy a wing that runs here for under $1,000 and that would get you a real beater. A decent prospect fixer upper around here would be more like $1,200 to $1,500. Check your local market for prices. I would have to travel with a trailer to get one of those $700 deals but if they are available by you then that would be the more sensible route! Best of luck to you!

metalsmith

Postby metalsmith » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the information!

I must have got hit a few times with a stupid stick, to not think of the blue book. I think I can get into it online if I remember right. I'll dig around some more and see what I find out, especially on prices in the northwest.

Thanks again for your time.

and a ps for wjnfirearms....I am a custom gunmaker/barrelmaker by trade and if I get this 1000 it will be in trade for custom work...pretty cool deal for me I'm thinkin'

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:10 pm

In restored condition and running great, they can go for $4000 if stock paint remains great. So that one looks like a pretty good value from what I can see in the picture.

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:58 am

Bartering can be a good thing, but you need to take into consideration what you are bartering with and how much time is spent if it is labor and how much your time is worth. I'm an FFL, so I understand fully what gunsmithing is worth.

Prices for any used vehicle do vary geographically, and this is why on both Kelley (http://www.kbb.com) and NADA (http://www.nada.com), they ask for your zip code when you first start referencing values on their sites. Another variable, which usually doesn't show up in the guides, is the seasonal variances in pricing that most often happen in the parts of the country that have seasons. For example, 4x4s most often sell for more in the fall than in the spring. Bikes go for more in the spring than in the fall as do convertibles. Part of the supply vs. demand thing. If you buy from a dealer, used or new, you can get a better deal at the end of the month as they try to hike up sales figures. End of year sales figures create the best deals.

For older bikes, pg is right about geography dictating supply. The geography often also includes whether you are buying in an urban area or rural. The best deals often come from the sticks. My $700 find came from a rural town. The best deals on lots also come from rural areas, both new and used cars and bikes. This I've come to know from experience. There seem to be more of a supply of Wings available here in Western Pennsylvania and Eastern Ohio than in Eastern Illinois. I'm sure there are way more in Southern California than, say, in Southern New York. Florida is likely full of them, but how many might one find in Montana? This will impact pricing also.

Another thing pg is right about is that traveling is a great way to find what you want and increases the chance of finding something at a better price. It could, and often is, worth renting a truck or trailer if need be to find the gold (no pun intended) out there. A road trip can be very much worth it.

And remember one thing about pictures. They can make a turd look like a candy bar and often do, no inference meant to the photographer. The GL does look quite nice in the photo. What about the mechanics and electrics? I'll trade a bad paint job for a stellar power train any day. I recently bought a work beater to save the wear on my new truck. I paid $475 for a '97 Dodge that looks worn out, rust and worn paint. Most everything works and it runs like new and I only had to invest less than $100 in parts to get it back on the road after I got it home. Much better gas mileage than the F-250 also. You can't tell a book by the cover.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

metalsmith

Postby metalsmith » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks for the insights in this matter.
I should give a bit more info also. The 75 has 43K and was picked up pretty much for the same reason I am considering it. It is a dang cool bike and a guy ought to grab one if the chance comes around.

The thing is, the owner has been a customer of mine for more than six years and I have several of his projects in the shop presently (he wouldn't dare to mess with me!! :lol: ) He is in Hawaii, the bike is at his home in California. He is thinning down his inventory as he is unable to keep all his toys in good shape and exercised. As I said, he lives in Hawaii, has the home in CA, and another in his home town in Texas. He owned a Harley dealership for several years (but he's not all bad) and that was when he acquired most of the motorcycles in his stable.

We have actually done some trading before - firearms- and he has been spot-on with his assessments of condition/value on these. I would not expect any less on his evaluation of this Wing. He has stated that if I get it in hand and it is not what I want, he will just cover his bill with the cash and send the bike elsewhere. This will not happen I'm bettin'.

I feel comfortable with his description of the condition of the 75, but he has not ridden it this year, and not a lot in years previous, so I'm guessing the first thing to do would be to replace rubber components and fluids. He indicates that it is in excellent running condition, so I expect the carbs etc, should be fine.

It basically comes with a guarantee that I would not get from another private party, so I'm comfortable with the terms. I am still looking in this area on values (not finding much yet) I did look at Blue-Book and NADA (which list higher values) and I think he is offering a fair deal ($2000 trade) My questions come from the factors you mention, region and season. At this point I am probably going to tell him it's a go. As much as I would like this one in my garage, I have a father-in-law that got WAY excited when I told him about it. This was always his dream machine, but the closest he ever got was his 750. He let me run his 550-four for a couple of years when we lived in Phoenix, and it would be a great opportunity to return the favor and give him something to ride for as long as he wants. He is located in the Bakersfield area and has good riding conditions far longer than we do up here. He is currently lacking in two-wheel transportation :D

Thanks for the help and information. I'll post it up if I make the trade, and let you know how she runs!

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:54 pm

It would be great to get a picture of the rear spokes. If they are not rusted, then this is a most clean build. Based on the photo, looks like there is a need to clean up those rear spokes.

metalsmith

Postby metalsmith » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi Fred, this is the other image he sent me.
It does not give a very good view of the spokes but does show some of the other rear end bits. You might be able to enlarge the image to get a better idea what things look like.
Attachments
1000 _rear view
1000 _rear view

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Sure looks well cared for in the photos. Pictures do deceive but I would not leave this one behind without a personal visit.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”